Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Do i need an amp!? Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
jstar809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Do i need an amp!? Help

I have a Sony WX-GT90BT stereo, on the manual it says I can directly hook up a SUB without an amp. So question is...is this possible and if it is what cables would I need?. (The Sub out on the stereo are RCA's so I'm thinking it has to be a powered sub without the copper line connections!?)

This is the PDF for the system:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...158WXGT90B.PDF

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 PM
el R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you do need an amp hate to break it to you,a stereo will only push like 20rms if that not even close to powering a sub so yes you need an amp to power sub the reason for the rca's on thee stereo is to run it from the stereo to the amp then from the amp to the sub. feel free to ask questions if i didn't make sense.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:51 AM
jstar809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el R
yes you do need an amp hate to break it to you,a stereo will only push like 20rms if that not even close to powering a sub so yes you need an amp to power sub the reason for the rca's on thee stereo is to run it from the stereo to the amp then from the amp to the sub. feel free to ask questions if i didn't make sense.
You made perfect sense thats what I was kind of guessing. At least that makes wiring a little bit easier. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Looks like a nice H/U.

You do need an external amp to get decent sound out of a SubW. I see that your new H/U provides a simulated subwoofer mode to rear speakers. If your rears are still in, you might want to try this. The rear speakers are not good for much, but this might be a use for them. If you decide to go that route, swap out the rears for some inexpensive coaxials.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
lBIG lDADDY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock soundsystem on the 350z's has a small amp next to the 10" pancake subwoofer behind the driver's seat. Use a flathead to pry back the sub cover from the top. Unscrew the subwoofer. On the inside of the compartment to the left you will see the small amp screwed in by 2 screws.

The problem you have with your setup is that your headunit (like most headunits) only has a sub pre-out port (your RCA-out), and the factory subwoofer amp does not have an RCA-in port. It uses wire harnesses that are confusing to the average joe to rewire, and would not be worth it for the sound quality the pancake woofer produces in it's enclosure.

In my opinion, having worked on my own Z's sound system, I would strongly suggest one of these routes:

1.) Buy an aftermarket subwoofer enclosure for your trunk and throw a couple 10 inches in. You will need an aftermarket amp for this setup.
Pros: Fuller bass, Better looks
Cons: Less trunk space, theft encouragement, more wiring
(as opposed to plan 2)

2.) Throw a single 10" subwoofer in the factory sub enclosure/area. You will need an aftermarket amp as well.
Pros: Space saving, less susceptible to theft
Cons: Bass will probably sound like garbage in the metal enclosure
(as opposed to plan 1)

You will need an aftermarket amp regardless of what option you chose because aftermarket amps have the RCA-in port which you need for your setup.

Don't be intimidated by installing the subwoofer yourself, it is pretty easy! Just be willing to put in about 5-10 hours for the project. There's plenty forums for subwoofer installation, so don't waste your money paying somebody to do it!

Hope I could be of help, have fun!

Last edited by lBIG lDADDY; 04-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.