Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Killed my reverse lights wiring in backup camera help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 AM
justjusten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed my reverse lights wiring in backup camera help!

Hey guys it's my first post here, I got a white 04 base a few weeks ago and managed to mess something up with my reverse lights last night. So I tapped into the wire that is light green with silver dots in the back left corner of the car. Where I tapped it I ran power to the back up camera and power to the reverse light input on the head unit ( it's a avh-x1600dvd using a microbypass).

After hooking everything up I was not getting any power on the input to the head unit( I'm assuming the wire I ran must of had a short in it) and only like 10v to the camera. At that point I don't think the camera was getting enough power to turn on because even when I changed the camera to the Av input on the head unit I was still getting no image. I managed to get a picture on the head unit by running 12v from the amp remote wire to the camera and the reverse light switch for the head unit. So I know the camera and head unit are working.

The problem now is my reverse lights are not working at all... . When I tapped the reverse light wire originally I just took some of the wire insulation off (about 3 cm ) without cutting the line and wrapped the wires I was tapping onto the bare reverse light wire and taped it. I didn't have any of the crimp things that split the wires, Im gonna get some today. I did mess with the harness in the drives kick panel but did not cut any wires up there. I also have a sub and amp mounted in the stock sub location that I pulled out. I don't know if that could of bumped one of the harnesses in there.

I checked the reverse light wire where I tapped it with my multimeter and was getting no power on the line when in reverse. I also tried applying 12v to the wire at the tap to see if I could get the lights to turn on. This did not work either, if there is not a short in the line I don't see why this wouldn't turn the lights on. I tried looking for fuses but forgot to check the box behind the battery. I checked the room light fuse ( I think thats the name) and it was fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for spots I can check that might of come unplugged or somehow shorted? Im at a loss for where the wire is messed up. Are there any fuses specifically for the reverse light wire that I can check? Also does anyone have a picture of where the reverse light wire is under the kick panel? I've just seen a ton people saying it is different colors. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM
justjusten

Just saw this thread https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...wont-work.html so I'll go through the trouble shooting there.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe just a fuse.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
justjusten

I checked the #71 fuse mentioned in the other thread and it was fine. The voltage across the fuse was only .6 v when the lights should be on though.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If it’s a “short,” then every time you replaced the fuse, it would blow.

But, you said there isn’t a blown fuse. Right? All fuses are good?

Is it possible that you inadvertently cut or separated a wire?

--Spike
Old 04-06-2014, 01:41 PM
zamfield

Bad ground?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
justjusten

Originally Posted by Spike100
If it’s a “short,” then every time you replaced the fuse, it would blow.

But, you said there isn’t a blown fuse. Right? All fuses are good?

Is it possible that you inadvertently cut or separated a wire?

--Spike
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't realize that would blow the fuse... I'm gonna triple check all my harnesses and where I cut the insulation. Maybe I pulled something too hard.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
justjusten

I think its just an odd coincidence and the switch went out. I ended up just wiring a switch to apply 12v on the line until I get a chance to change the one on the transmission.