Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ideas/Suggestions on routing the rear inputs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 AM
bobinsofla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas/Suggestions on routing the rear inputs

I'm about to install my new Kenwood DDX471 Head Unit and would like some ideas and or suggestions on routing the rear inputs out into the cockpit.

I've got two AUX A/V inputs, one USB cable and a mic for the Bluetooth.

One of the AUX inputs I would like to plumb to the cubby compartment where the NAV normally would be. I plan to use this for my portable Sat Radio tuner. The other AUX and USB I would like accessible to me or the passenger.

So suggestions, advice, ideas, photos!, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob (in South FLorida)
'05 Ultra Yellow Touring 6spd / Volk GTC's / AP Racing big brakes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I can show you what I did in my '08.

Here's the iPhone cable, but you could use a standard USB if you have a different phone. The phone tucks in neatly between the handbrake and the console:

This is where I mounted the BT mic - after trying a few spots, this worked the best:

You might consider using your phone for SiriusXM, as they have an app for iPhones and Androids which works fairly well. You can run it through the USB or BT to the Kenwood, although you'd have to touch the phone to change stations. The reason I went this way was that we have a subscription for the OEM sat radio in my wife's Acura, and it was cheaper to buy an additional online subscription for my iPhone, rather than get another subscription tied to a receiver in my Z. With that online subscription I can listen at home on any of our Mac's, my iPhone in one of my other cars, or through the G-box Midnight MX2 (an Android TV box) on our home theater/audio system.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM
bobinsofla

Originally Posted by dcains
I can show you what I did in my '08.

Here's the iPhone cable, but you could use a standard USB if you have a different phone. The phone tucks in neatly between the handbrake and the console:

This is where I mounted the BT mic - after trying a few spots, this worked the best:

You might consider using your phone for SiriusXM, as they have an app for iPhones and Androids which works fairly well. You can run it through the USB or BT to the Kenwood, although you'd have to touch the phone to change stations. The reason I went this way was that we have a subscription for the OEM sat radio in my wife's Acura, and it was cheaper to buy an additional online subscription for my iPhone, rather than get another subscription tied to a receiver in my Z. With that online subscription I can listen at home on any of our Mac's, my iPhone in one of my other cars, or through the G-box Midnight MX2 (an Android TV box) on our home theater/audio system.
Thanks for the suggestions, Dean. As far as the Sirius is concerned, I have a mobile tuner set up in my truck which connects thru the AUX port. This tuner can be docked pretty much anywhere so all I would need to do is put an antenna on the Z.

I like the mic setup. Did you pull the pillar covers off or did you just tuck the wire behind it?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM
dcains

The A-pillar trim comes off easily. Just get your fingers under an edge and give it a sharp pull.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 PM
djcalle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

As the guys suggested, A-pillar seems the best way to go.

I have chosen one of the rear pockets to route my USB cable. I didn't have to drill a hole, I just had to file one of the existing holes (highlighted in red in picture 2 )

I haven't put it back together yet, I do not think the OEM 3ft cable will be long enough although it will not be far off.

Cheers,

Ludo
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I ran all my stuff through the center console over the tranny hump...
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
bobinsofla

Are any of you using the Kenwood KCA-iP202 cable? I didn't even know I needed this for my iPhone/iPod functionality!! And I will still have to get the 30pin to firewire converter.

does both the USB and the 3.5mm have to be plugged in? And which of the two 3.5 A/V ports in back did you use with the USB on the KCA-iP202 cable?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM
dcains

I don't recall how I plugged in the iPhone cable to the back of the HU, but it seemed obvious at the time.