Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best/Crisp DVD dash to replace stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Geezusva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best/Crisp DVD dash to replace stock stereo?

Just got my 06 MT!
I've searched around and almost pulled the trigger on the Pioneer AVH-x5600bhs, but would not mind loosing features to gain a great crisp picture for my music video dvds. What would yal recommend?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Quite a few guys here have the Kenwood DDX470 (or 471). I'm very happy with it in all regards. If you ever feel like driving over to Tampa to have a look/listen, let me know. There are threads here with info about it, too.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...od-ddx470.html
Old 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
JYoza

Thumbs up

I have the Pioneer App Radio 3. Absolutely stunning unit. I am in love with it, and it looks great. Gorilla glass screen just like the iPhone! Feels great to the touch and has amazing touch response along with a great operating system. If you use your phone a lot, this would be a good unit to consider.

Best of luck,
Justin
Attached Thumbnails Best/Crisp DVD dash to replace stock stereo?-photo-1.jpg   Best/Crisp DVD dash to replace stock stereo?-photo-2.jpg   Best/Crisp DVD dash to replace stock stereo?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The glass on your App Radio seems like it would get a lot of glare, does it?

I have the DDX470 and I absolutely love the unit. Im giong to order a second for my girls car.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM
dcains

I'm kind of surprised one is allowed to use glass in an application like that. Wouldn't want to smash your face into it in a crash (not likely with its placement in a Z), but I guess it's the same with guys that change out their steering wheel and eliminate the airbag.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 AM
JYoza

It does create some what of a glare, but for the most part it's not bad. During the night time it looks amazing however.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
DarkCreep

Originally Posted by dcains
I'm kind of surprised one is allowed to use glass in an application like that. Wouldn't want to smash your face into it in a crash (not likely with its placement in a Z), but I guess it's the same with guys that change out their steering wheel and eliminate the airbag.

Cuz the car itself isnt surrounded in glass.

Last edited by DarkCreep; 07-21-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
Cuz the car itself isnt surrounded in glass.
Safety Glass, not Gorilla Glass, which shatters into little razor blades. Some cars used to have real wood trim, too, which is now replaced by plastic or veneers which are literally paper-thin, for safety reasons. Granted, the chance of your face contacting the HU is slim in the Z, but in some cars the HU is mounted much higher, and lots of people disable their airbags and don't wear seatbelts. I know this because I'm a trauma nurse. I've seen some pretty bad head injuries from street cars with rolls bars, aftermarket steering wheels, and A-pillar gauge pods, too, but that's not really on-topic for this thread.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM
DarkCreep

Id like to know the stories with the roll bars!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
dcains

I'm sure you've seen those slow-motion videos of crash test dummies during a collision. They stretch and flop around like rag dolls, as street belts don't restrain the occupant very tightly against the seat. So, imagine someone's head banging into a rollbar/cage, using street belts and no helmet. In a race car it's totally different. No slack in the belts, so the driver is held firmly in the seat, a helmet in place, and in many cases now, a HANS-device, too. Rollbars and cages are for race cars. I don't ever see the cars, just the injuries on patients when they show up at the hospital, and sometimes the paramedics share a story about what happened.

One of the Alfa Spider's I own had a street roll bar from the previous owner. If I strained and leaned my head back, I could almost touch the bar with the back of my skull - so first thing I did was pull out the bar. I'd rather risk a rollover than smash my head open if someone tapped me in a minor rear end collision (much more likely scenario).