Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 AM
defend_cle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question

Hello!

First of all, this is my first post so hello everyone! I recently purchased an 03 350z touring edition a couple of months ago. I also just purchased the Pioneer Appradio 3. In order to get the full business out of this thing you need like 5 different adapters/cables and while it seems excessive, considering it was "designed" to work with my iPhone 5s, it's going to involve some excessive cable running. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions as far as where to run the cables or techniques that will save from swearing up a storm while installing this piece.

I can't decide if I want to run it to the storage above the radio itself, or if I want to be ambitious and run it to the center console cubby. I think i'll be doing some drilling regardless. Anyways, any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM
JYoza

Give me 5 minutes. I'm going to go take pictures and show you my setup.

*EDIT* The cable length I won't lie is annoying as hell.. but it's tolerable. I don't know if having it in the center cubby was the best idea or if I should of just ran it down the transmission tunnel into the cup holders that have the plastic cover that slides over. However, I'm not sure if the cable wiring is the same length as yours? Mine is for an iPhone 4 or 4S, but I'd imagine they would be the same length. You, however, will also need to buy the thunderbolt adapter so it can get attached to your iPhone 5 which is another $30.

*EDIT #2* Welcome to the forums!!! and welcome to the Z family!! This is a great place to learn about your car and find cool things you can do to it/take care of it. Best of luck to ya!
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-1.jpg   Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-1-1-.jpg   Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-2-1-.jpg   Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-3-1-.jpg  

Last edited by JYoza; 07-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 AM
defend_cle

Hey thanks for the quick response! I have an 03 so my set up is going to be a little different but that definitely gives me something to go off of.

I am waiting for the wiring harness, din, and hdmi/lightning adapter to come in. I will post some pics with what I come up with!

And thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to it!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got a Kenwood, but same idea. My iPhone cable comes out from the handbrake area, and the iPhone just tucks in between the brake handle and the console:

Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 PM
JYoza

Originally Posted by dcains
I've got a Kenwood, but same idea. My iPhone cable comes out from the handbrake area, and the iPhone just tucks in between the brake handle and the console:

Off topic, but I love the gear placement stick where the nismo badging would be. Where would you find something like that, or what would you type in to find something like that?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Found it on eBay years ago, and the seller is long since gone. Long story short, I was going to have a batch of 20 made (mine has a few scratches) and offer them here at cost ($18 shipped IIRC), but one of the mods deleted the thread and gave me some infraction points.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM
defend_cle

Well after a headache and some troubleshooting, I finally got everything fully installed. I ended up removing the access panel in the storage compartment and clipped a little corner off, then with a knife just neatly sliced out a notch in the corner so I could run the cables up without it being too obvious. Not to mention, if I ABSOLUTELY had to, I could replace the two pieces for a lot less than just about any other piece of trim in the car. If you guys have any questions let me know!

I'm still working on getting the appradio to function the way I want it to, and I think its going to involve a little...persuasion. The most disappointing thing is the navigation link between the phone and the receiver. It is damn near impossible to "search" on the head unit. I think it may be due to the fact that I left the stupid handbrake sensor disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-2.jpg   Pioneer Appradio3 Cable Run Question-photo-3.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Bill350z

Default What all do I need?

I purchased the Appradio 3 but im confused on what all I need. I bought the ROEM for the stock speakers but do I also need a wiring harness?? Also where did you find your trim to go around the headunit. Last question where in the world did you find all the cable I need for an Iphone 5, Thank You so much.