Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

box options

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM
375rngrZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default box options

went through a lot of the pages on here trying to find what box options there are for the z. ive seen the zenclosure which is a no go because I only want 1 10in and a box the size of the trunk is unnecessary not to mention its in clear view through the hatch and I don't need my **** getting stolen. and then I saw the custom built glove box stealth enclosure which peaked my interest even though its a bit pricey, but I pm'd the sponsor and he never got back to me. so im looking at truck boxes right now just to throw one in the hatch right behind the driver seat. my question is has anyone went with the truck sub box for their z and where did they put it? also are their any boxes that I missed?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
johndoesdamage

I have this one, http://srqcustoms.3dcartstores.com/Nissan-350z-Vehicle-Specific-Sub-Enclosure-1-10_p_160.html
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM
375rngrZ

Originally Posted by johndoesdamage
wow that's literally exactly what I was looking for and its cheap as hell. how well built is it and did you have any issues with fitment. oh and are you using the bose plastic with the sub cut out or the normal closed plastic?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 AM
RobinHood5

heres what I did, with the box "sealed" in that compartment where it cant move much air it sounds pretty crappy. I'm then going to cut a 8-10" hole in my cover and put a subwoofer grill over it.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...l#post10469986
Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 AM
johndoesdamage

The holes didnt align perfectly had to modify it a little and I recommend putting a washer on before u put each bolt back on other than that I love the box...no I don't have the Bose cover I have the plain one
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

you can buy the bose cover from courtesyparts
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM
RobinHood5

Originally Posted by travlee
you can buy the bose cover from courtesyparts
Im just cutting a 10" hole in mine and putting a subwoofer grill over it.

What would be the point of getting the bose cover or the one with the cutout in this scenario where its covered anyway?

Last edited by RobinHood5; 09-23-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

or that, but i would paint it the color of the surroundings to make it look more stock-ish

and oem one is just under 40 bucks

http://www.courtesyparts.com/28178-o...tml?cPath=714&

Last edited by travlee; 09-23-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM
375rngrZ

The holes didnt align perfectly had to modify it a little and I recommend putting a washer on before u put each bolt back on other than that I love the box...no I don't have the Bose cover I have the plain one
what exactly did you have to modify. and my only 2 worries are that having the sub there is gonna cause a lot of rattle and that its not gonna be able to get much air so itll sound like ****.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default how handy are you?

I built my own fiberglass enclosure for 1 10" under the trunk false floor next to the spare tire. I am 100% stealth and have 100% of my trunk and it would sound much better than in the stock sub location. I'll give more details if you need it...
I can't remember spending more than say $100 on materials then you have to buy a sub that has a basket that is not too deep for the height of the false floor. It's not the easiest way to go but you would be glad you did it if you can learn how to make fiberglass molds.

Have you seen the one that uses the airspace under the false floor and places the sub at about a 45deg angle in the corner of the trunk facing to the right? I think it is stealthy from the outside. Probably give up space for golf club bag though if that is important to you.

I can help you more when I am on a faster connection later if you are still interested...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
johndoesdamage

Had to make the holes bigger on the box to align them in all the right spaces at first it rattled because of the angle it sat at I had put some insulation material which reduced the rattle. That was with an Infiniti sub and now I have an alpine rattle free. But yea if your handy the Fiberglass enclosures people make are nice and probably sound the best, I just didn't want to pay someone $300 as I was quoted for it
Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 PM
375rngrZ

Had to make the holes bigger on the box to align them in all the right spaces at first it rattled because of the angle it sat at I had put some insulation material which reduced the rattle. That was with an Infiniti sub and now I have an alpine rattle free. But yea if your handy the Fiberglass enclosures people make are nice and probably sound the best, I just didn't want to pay someone $300 as I was quoted for it
that's most of my problem. I just want some extra bass, im not looking for anything crazy. so to me spending 300 on just a box alone is absolutely absurd.

Originally Posted by bjr
I built my own fiberglass enclosure for 1 10" under the trunk false floor next to the spare tire. I am 100% stealth and have 100% of my trunk and it would sound much better than in the stock sub location. I'll give more details if you need it...
I can't remember spending more than say $100 on materials then you have to buy a sub that has a basket that is not too deep for the height of the false floor. It's not the easiest way to go but you would be glad you did it if you can learn how to make fiberglass molds.

Have you seen the one that uses the airspace under the false floor and places the sub at about a 45deg angle in the corner of the trunk facing to the right? I think it is stealthy from the outside. Probably give up space for golf club bag though if that is important to you.

I can help you more when I am on a faster connection later if you are still interested...

I actually wouldn't mind seeing these boxes that mount in the spare tire area, as the rims im running wouldn't let me use the spare anyways. as for making my own box it just sounds like a lot of hassle.

Last edited by 375rngrZ; 09-23-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by 375rngrZ
that's most of my problem. I just want some extra bass, im not looking for anything crazy. so to me spending 300 on just a box alone is absolutely absurd.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing these boxes that mount in the spare tire area, as the rims im running wouldn't let me use the spare anyways. as for making my own box it just sounds like a lot of hassle.
Custom boxes are $$$ because of the labor. My "$100" fiberglass box probably cost me 40+ hours of my own time.

If you don't have a spare that opens up the possibilities to be something more generic shaped and out of wood. I'll see what I can find but it's been years since I was into comparing boxes. Even with the whole area of the spare tire and being able to make a square box (even possibly out of wood) the size of the sub basket is key to getting the floor to fit at the right height again. I'll see what I can find since you don't sound like you found any of those options...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 AM
bjr

here are some quick links but some of the pics and links are dead.
I can't find the corner box right now but I think it was made by wickedcas and is over $300.

Follow some of this though. You can see if you don't have a spare you have a lot of room. Follow as many pics and side links you can. My system is in there but has been updated with a Kenwood HU.

Try searching for corner sub box for the one I cannot find but it's out of your price range. I ended up spending twice as much as I budgeted after I re-redid my car with soundproofing. You may end up spending more than you think
Something to get you going...

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...b-install.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...cs-of-sub.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...de-corner.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...dunit-wow.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ne-s-help.html

Last edited by bjr; 09-24-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM
RobinHood5

gotta say, I agree with bjr. Soundproofing is somewhat a must. I did not do it in mine and while the system is so freaking tight when just sitting in the driveway, its killed by road noise.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM
375rngrZ

so after reading into this ive come up wth two conclusions either stick with the cheap glove box box. or throw a truck box where the spare goes maybe fill the space around it with insulation type material to keep rattle against the floor and on the side to a minimum. I figure a truck box sub setup would be ideal because of how small the actual box is.

robinhood I really like your setup and originally I wanted to do that but the stereo guy by me quoted a whopping 350 to build a box like yours for that location. im really sketch about this glove box stealth setup as it looks like it pretty much seals that area from all and any air coming in. my only hesitancy comes from dishing out all the money putting that box in and realizing it sounds like a bag of dicks.

Last edited by 375rngrZ; 09-24-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 AM
bjr

so after reading into this ive come up wth two conclusions either stick with the cheap glove box box. or throw a truck box where the spare goes maybe fill the space around it with insulation type material to keep rattle against the floor and on the side to a minimum. I figure a truck box sub setup would be ideal because of how small the actual box is.

robinhood I really like your setup and originally I wanted to do that but the stereo guy by me quoted a whopping 350 to build a box like yours for that location. im really sketch about this glove box stealth setup as it looks like it pretty much seals that area from all and any air coming in. my only hesitancy comes from dishing out all the money putting that box in and realizing it sounds like a bag of dicks.
I don't think if I were you I would debate using the stock location behind the seat any longer. I remember one guy spending a lot of time doing it and was happy with it but all other people that I remember complained about it. It physically is in the wrong spot in the car. Go trunk choice and don't look back my IMO...
If you can buy a simple truck box that fits easily that sounds like the way to go to me. BUT remember if that box leaks or is too thin on the wood or is the wrong size for your sub it WILL sound bad. So don't just blindly buy a box that fits the spare tire well!

Last edited by bjr; 09-25-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 AM
RobinHood5

Here's another option!!! I just found that kicker sells a "Loaded" 10" CompRT that would fit perfectly in that area. I wish I would have done this personally! Its the same sub that I have so I can tell you it sounds amazing. I wish I would have known about this when I did mine, I would have gone with it myself...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-c...aded&cp=1&lp=3

Heres what my setup looks like finished
box options-3omsqvj.jpg

Last edited by RobinHood5; 09-25-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM
johndoesdamage

Is that for the roadster? Just wondering
Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 PM
RobinHood5

Is that for the roadster? Just wondering
Nope. Hatchback.

Quick Reply: box options