Just bought a Z! some audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 PM
openupitsdave

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just bought a Z! some audio questions

350Z AUDIO INSTALL FAQ

Q:Where do I run all the wires?
A: The picture below shows a typical 350z setup with 2 door speakers and a subwoofer in the trunk. All wires are hidden under interior panels (center console, side panels, etc)
Just bought a Z! some audio questions-keykmg3.jpg

Q: How are the door speakers amplified? Will the stock radio be good enough to power something like Alpine Type-R's, or should I upgrade to a better amp?
A: The OEM headunit powers all 4 OEM speakers. The Bose amp powers the subwoofer. Both the factory Bose amp and factory headunit are too weak to power aftermarket speakers/subs. (unless they're junk). Purchase new amplifier(s) to give sufficient power to your aftermarket speakers.

Q: What is the maximum depth for door speakers? (with window down). Will I need to buy a spacer, or can I use the OEM spacer?
A: Maximum "top-mount depth" for any aftermarket speaker with OEM spacer is about 2.5 inches. To use the OEM spacer, cut out the factory speaker from it. The OEM spacer is about 1inch.

Q: Where are some practical spots to mount amplifiers?
A: In the glovebox behind passenger seat. Another good spot is behind the driver seat where the factory subwoofer goes. I removed it so it made for a perfect amp spot.

Q: What harness do I need to buy if I want to upgrade to an aftermarket stereo?
A: If you don't plan on using the factory stereo (its junk), then the
Metra 70-7550 Metra 70-7550
is the harness you want. You will NOT be able to use the steering wheel controls with this harness. If you want to retain steering wheel controls, buy the ROEM-NIS2 unit ($35). (or AOEM-NIS2 for factory amp integration)

Q: Which wires on the harness' need to be spliced together?
A: If you will be running new wires from your speakers directly to your amp, the only wires on the 2 harness' that need to be spliced together are the oranges, reds, blacks, and yellows. The blue wire w/ white stripe must be spliced with the wire that comes from your amp (The signal/remote wire).

Q: I just installed my new radio but now there's a gap between the radio and my dash. What do I need to make it look better?
A: You need a double din dash kit. The most common one is the "Scosche Dash Kit" which can be found on amazon for cheap.

Q:I plan to either install door-only components OR rear-only components (with tweeters in stock location of course) I see alot of people doing ONLY door speakers but why not ONLY rear speakers? They're closer to head-level and seems like the soundwaves can travel more freely... thoughts on this?
A: If you're only going to install 2 speakers, put them in the doors.

Q:Best practical option for subwoofer box/enclosure?
A:The Zenclosures sub box fits right under the rear strut brace of the 350z. There are two styles:
Rear facing and Front Facing (front fire).

Another option is to build or buy a subwoofer box that fits inside the factory subwoofer location. Do not just replace your factory subwoofer with a new one and expect it to sound good. You need a proper enclosure for it.

Q:I want to run new speaker wire from the door speakers directly to the amp. Where do I run those wires?
A: The best place is through the rubber door jamb. Pull out the rubber piece, run your wires through, then reinsert rubber piece. Or you could poke a hole in the rubber piece and run the wires through there. Another method is running the wires through the Molex piece. (I dont personally prefer this method as it seems sketchy, but alot of people have success with it.

Q: Do I absolutely have to run new wires from the speakers to the amp directly?
A: Although thicker gauge wire is safer and can withstand more current, the OEM wiring should be good enough in most cases. If you wont be using new wires, you can use the OEM wiring that goes from the speakers to the headunit. In that case, you will need to connect the appropriate harness wires (purples, greys, greens, whites typically).

Last edited by openupitsdave; 08-01-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by openupitsdave
Hello Z'ers! Just bought this amazing vehicle from a friend who didn't give 2 craps about his audio so I'm about to tear this B apart and install some real deal audio shtuff. Its an 03 base model.

Basically, I plan to remove the rear 6.5's entirely, replace the door speakers with some decent component Alpine, and from what ive read so far in the forum, I shouldn't mount my sub in the factory location, but instead build a sub box and seat it in that sub area... Hoping this setup will be legit..

Q: What is the maximum depth for door speakers? Will Alpine Type-R's fit? Those are the speakers I used in my last car and I loved them, although, that was 6 years ago and probably are now outdated... Is there anything around the $150 price range that will blow those away? (and also fit in a 03 Z)

Q: How are the door speakers amplified? Through the main headunit?, or is there a separate amp hiding somewhere? Is the amp good enough to power Alpine Type-R's or should I replace the amp?

Q: Best place to mount amp for only the door speakers?
I don't remember the exact max. depth on the front speakers but from what I do remember, 99% of aftermarket will require a spacer so that the window does not hit the magnet. Be very careful of this! Maybe even install the speakers with the window down so you don't forget.

All amps can go behind the drivers seat in the large area where the factory sub should go. I bent two brackets to attach somewhere and put my stuff on a piece of MDF so it never moves.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 AM
RobinHood5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Z'ers! Just bought this amazing vehicle from a friend who didn't give 2 craps about his audio so I'm about to tear this B apart and install some real deal audio shtuff. Its an 03 base model.

Basically, I plan to remove the rear 6.5's entirely, replace the door speakers with some decent component Alpine, and from what ive read so far in the forum, I shouldn't mount my sub in the factory location, but instead build a sub box and seat it in that sub area... Hoping this setup will be legit..

Q: What is the maximum depth for door speakers? Will Alpine Type-R's fit? Those are the speakers I used in my last car and I loved them, although, that was 6 years ago and probably are now outdated... Is there anything around the $150 price range that will blow those away? (and also fit in a 03 Z)

Q: How are the door speakers amplified? Through the main headunit?, or is there a separate amp hiding somewhere? Is the amp good enough to power Alpine Type-R's or should I replace the amp?

Q: Best place to mount amp for only the door speakers?
The head unit amplifies for the door speakers by standard. I just used the alpine powerpack to amplify mine and I am happy with it. It is an ultra low profile amp that just sit's behind the head unit.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

No factory amp is going to power those Type-r's and if someone doesn't know that then I wouldn't want them installing anything in my vehicle. Take the fkin door panel off and measure depth . . .it needs to come off anyways
Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
openupitsdave

Originally Posted by bjr
I don't remember the exact max. depth on the front speakers but from what I do remember, 99% of aftermarket will require a spacer so that the window does not hit the magnet. Be very careful of this! Maybe even install the speakers with the window down so you don't forget.

All amps can go behind the drivers seat in the large area where the factory sub should go. I bent two brackets to attach somewhere and put my stuff on a piece of MDF so it never moves.
Thanks bro...So if 99% of AM speakers require a spacer, that means the 350z doesnt have much room....hmmmm... I wouldn't mind using a quarter or even half-inch spacer but anything more would just look odd as hell...

I don't currently possess the car yet so I cant take any measurements... Im hoping someone on here will know.

Yeah, I might have to put both amps behind passenger seat in that empty spot....Makes the most sense, given that its easy to wire up..

Originally Posted by RobinHood5
The head unit amplifies for the door speakers by standard. I just used the alpine powerpack to amplify mine and I am happy with it. It is an ultra low profile amp that just sit's behind the head unit.
Im gonna try to go for at least 100wattsRMS each side so the powerpack is out of the question.. need more powah!

Last edited by openupitsdave; 09-25-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would say 2.5” (2.4” to be on the safe side) is the maximum depth that fits.

I tried installing a Focal 165 V2 - depth from wall: 68mm (2.7") – and it wouldn’t fit.

I went with a Focal 165 V Slim - Depth from wall: 56mm (2.2").
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM
openupitsdave

ooo they might just fit then.. They're somewhere between 2.25 and 2.375 inches depending on which website you look at.. Thanks alot Spike... pressing Buy now. woot :]

Im starting to wonder if I should put the speakers in the back instead, and leave out the door speaks.....anyone have thoughts on this? I would keep the tweeters up front but use the type-rs in back with subW

Last edited by SR71; 09-25-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 PM
RobinHood5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever been to a concert where all of the speakers were behind you?? Nope. It would sound like crap. It turns out that the rear speakers also sound like crap, I have mine almost completely turned down in preference of my front speakers. Don't even bother with the back ones.

First of all. Peak power means NOTHING. Match RMS wattage and forget peak all together. You also have to correctly match Ohms (2 ohm amp does not nessecarily mean 2 ohm sub!)

Im starting to wonder if I should put the speakers in the back instead, and leave out the door speaks.....anyone have thoughts on this? I would keep the tweeters up front but use the type-rs in back with subW
It would sound like crap. I've moved all my sound to my front speakers because those rear speakers are just in the wrong place all together. Too close to your head.

Last edited by SR71; 09-25-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 PM
openupitsdave

Yeah I would completely remove the rear speakers if I decide they arent going to be my primary location for amped aftermarket speaks..

Spike, do you remember if you tried installing them with the window down or not? And did you use a spacer?

Last edited by SR71; 09-25-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Spike100

^^ I didn’t have the window down, but I used the original speaker’s rim (the junk OEM Clarion) as a spacer.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:08 PM
openupitsdave

delete

Last edited by openupitsdave; 10-13-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 PM
openupitsdave

Default Pro Wiring Diagram for Basic Audio Setup

Is this method good?

Just bought a Z! some audio questions-keykmg3.jpg
Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes.

the important part, as you have done it, is to run the RCA signal separately from your power cable to prevent interference. I did mine exactly as you diagrammed, except I only have a single 4-ch amp, with 2 channels bridged to my sub.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have used photoshop instead of MS paint.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 PM
openupitsdave

Thanks Nismo dude. I wasnt sure if speaker wire is supposed to be near power cable or not...Only RCA cant be near eh? Sweet! I think im ready to jump into this install!

92k, wuts photoshop?

:]
Old 09-26-2014, 09:22 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Nismo dude. I wasnt sure if speaker wire is supposed to be near power cable or not...Only RCA cant be near eh? Sweet! I think im ready to jump into this install!

92k, wuts photoshop?

:]
the RCA cables from your head unit will pick up interference from a large power cable from battery to amp (and then amplified, lol).

This is often the source of that awful "alternator whine" that can be heard on a poorly done install.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

LOL that picture is all kinds of awesome. At first I thought it was a drawing a 1st gen iPod.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM
openupitsdave

Default will JBL MS62C's fit in my doors w/1inch spacer?

delete

Last edited by openupitsdave; 10-13-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 PM
openupitsdave

Default Dimensions of the non-nav cubby?

Im trying to see if a HTC Flyer 7-inch tablet with fit in there.. The tablet is 195mm x 122mm

Last edited by openupitsdave; 10-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Spike100

Questions:

1. What do you mean by “non-nav cubby?” Are you asking about the double-din slot?

2. What year is your car?

I have a 2003 Z with a Power Acoustik PT-700MHR LCD Monitor mounted in the upper forward cubby. The dimensions are 177.8x127x22.8. It’s a perfect fit. Those dimensions would also fit the DD slot.

195mm is wider but should fit the DD slot and the upper/forward cubby. Worst case would involve a slight amount of “dremeling.”

Quick Reply: Just bought a Z! some audio questions