Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

gopro hero4 adhesive mounts (3m)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gopro hero4 adhesive mounts (3m)

Is a POS do not put it on the outside for sure, it barely stayed on my dash for a day... Definitely investing in the suction cup mount.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:16 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I've seen people use the adhesive mount on exterior panels of cars before without problems. Personally, I wouldn't trust a tape/sticker to hold my camera so I either hard mount or suction mount. That being said, my GoPro hasn't fallen off my helmet, the only place I use the adhesive mount (that I'm actually reusing after applying it elsewhere twice).

Considering the dash isn't exactly a smooth surface, I'm surprised you expected flawless results. Did you prep the surface, securely apply the adhesive, and let it properly cure?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM
FOOKhonda

Wow, I definitely would not use it on the exterior, and yeah with the little bumps I didn't expect it to be perfect but I expected it to hold decently, it straight fell off when I unscrewed the piece to the mount.

And I believe I did a decent job, I cleaned the surface up (not with the wipes that make it all slick) then I stuck it on there and held it against it with decent pressure for a couple mins then let it sit for 24 hrs like it recommends.

I bought some loctite gel glue, I put a couple drops on the bottom of the adhesive mount (i don't plan on removing or selling the car so don't care if it leaves a spot) but seems to be working flawlessly now.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Applying a little bit of heat during the curing process helps the adhesive backing become more malleable for uneven surfaces. Also, I'd clean the surface with some alcohol to get rid of any cleaning products that are on the mounting surface. Personally, I would have opted for hard mounting (so many options for this when it comes to GoPro) vs applying loctite to an adhesive. Just curious, where did you place the mount?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:48 PM
FOOKhonda

I actually decided against using heat cause it says to use a hair dryer to remove so I figured it would be a bad idea, also I used a dab of rubbing alcohol on a ragand wiped the surface, even though i haven't used anything in a couple months now. And i put it on the dash about an inch or two to the right of the center gauge cluster and about 3 inches above the ac vent, and yes I used the curved mount not the flat one lol, incase you were going to ask.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the adhesive mounts on my helmet and motorcycle frame with zero issues. They both held at 150+mph.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
FOOKhonda

Maybe it was the dash surface, or maybe it was too cold while it was being put on.. or maybe its just hit or miss... I know I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for 3m so maybe it is just luck of the draw or some people go extra measures to have it stay on, who knows.

But you know my opinion on it. And after that I don't think I'd trust it for anything expensive or on the exterior of a car..

But your bike frame is probably a better surface then a rough plastic dash lol
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Like I said before, not sure what you were expecting when you applied the adhesive on a non-smooth surface like that but it is what it is. So any shots from the mounting point/angle?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:52 PM
FOOKhonda

I have about 6 so far of me driving around and stuff, but no way to upload them, if I can get them on YouTube at some point ill put them on here.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM
FOOKhonda

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpl...7IYHk3w/videos

got some vids up now, more are uploading... dear lord does it take forever to upload a vid to youtube :O
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of that mounting position. You definitely need a suction mount.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
FOOKhonda

Yeah I've been trying to think of the best place on the interior to put it though, but its not bad where its at, just looks like footage from a police car lol.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Not too many places for mounting a camera in the cabin. I made a headrest mount a while back but I rarely use that angle now.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:08 PM
FOOKhonda

I'm thinking of seeing how it looks on the plastic behind the seats, the taller part that speakers sit on each far side. And put it in the center so it sees like everything inside the car too.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

It's probably going to be too low to see anything out of the car but it'll work for in-cabin shots.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 PM
FOOKhonda

yeah, however I'm hoping the suction cup mount will add some height to it, but I guess ill see how it goes...

Any advice for trying to get it a bit higher?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Mounting location/hardware should be dictated by what you're trying to capture. Regardless, the suction mount should allow for more versatility.

I recommend you mount it outside the car if you're recording car activities, but if you're set on in-cabin then mount it as high as possible using the suction mount.

I usually like to watch other car videos/reviews for different mounting locations. Check out my YT channel for the angles that I've used:
https://www.youtube.com/user/3hree5ive0ero
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 PM
FOOKhonda

I liked the cam by the wheel then just above the drivers door ( I've seen both positions before) I just don't think I want to trust it. After my experience with the adhesive mount and my previous experience with suction cups, given the gopro suction cip looks heavy duty I don't think I could put it outside, if it fell off I'd be sooo raged lol. But the position you had in the cabin is what I'm trying to go for.

What om trying to get is somewhere in cabin that you can also see beside me. This seems about impossible though.

Have you put it on the strut bar? I would think the image ouside the windshield would be almost non existant at that point though..

Btw you tore it upp at PCA event 3!! That was inspirational lol.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:12 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

That view you're referencing was from the headrest mount. Never tried mounting on rear strut bar but I've tried rear window (with diff camera so can't really compare) and found it was pointless since you couldn't really see much out of the windshield. And any closer to the windshield would probably be a safety risk since I can already hit the camera with my helmet where it sits (center of car pretty much) with my headrest mount, which is also another reason why I tend not to use it. I guess if you had no passenger, you could make a T-shape headrest mount so the GoPro can be mounted where a passenger's head would normally be.

The GoPro suction cups are pretty stout and can handle most amateur motorsport activity you'll do so I wouldn't worry about mounting it outside. Plus, there are aftermarket mounts that are beefier if you need.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM
FOOKhonda

Any way you could take a pic so I could see how that mount is set up?

And the passenger mount would be a great idea but most my videos I have someone there, so I don't see that being used often..

A lot of my videos are from me driving around and stuff on streets, don't know if I'd get hassled with the go pro outside the car (probably not, but some cops are a holes)

I think a view from the position of that headrest mount would probably be the most ideal for what I want.

Quick Reply: gopro hero4 adhesive mounts (3m)