Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

FM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 AM
Wietse350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FM radio reception

He all,

I read a lot of threads regarding the bad FM reception of the Bose units.
For some time i've been trying to solve this, read that most problems are caused by bad grounding.
I've made a grounding wire and installed this on the bolts that hold the antenna bracket and the amplifier but still reception is bad.
When i bought the car it had a stubby antenna, bought another good quality antenna and tried that also but so far no good.

With either antenna the only thing that makes reception good is when i grab the antenna with my hand, it becomes clear as a whistle without any disturbance.

To me this issue still must have something to do with the grounding/static electricity but i am not sure how to proceed and if another grounding wire will make a difference (and where to connect this)

When i disconnect the plug from the amplifier the signal is completely lost, so assuming all cables are connected behind the radio.
As far as i know the radio has never been removed and therefore i assume all harness etc. behind the radio is still as from factory.
I can not check if the amplifier is getting any voltage as it's power supply plug hole is too small to insert the pin of my multimeter.

Anybody ever solved this issue?
All threads i've seen are a dead end without a permanent solution for this issue.

Car info:
2007 GT
OEM Bose radio
Old 02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Wietse350Z

Nobody with a tip to solve this?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

I have no solution...
My factory Bose system had terrible reception with the shorty antenna my car came with. Now I have an aftermarket radio along with the shorty antenna so I have completely stopped listening to FM. Just iPod and Pandora for over a year now
Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

These cars have horrendous radios.

My tip is to buy a nice exhaust to listen to, and you will never turn your radio on again. When I want to listen to the radio I drive my Camry, and when I'm in the mood to get my blood pumping and hear some exhaust "music" I drive my Z.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 AM
Wietse350Z

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
These cars have horrendous radios.

My tip is to buy a nice exhaust to listen to, and you will never turn your radio on again. When I want to listen to the radio I drive my Camry, and when I'm in the mood to get my blood pumping and hear some exhaust "music" I drive my Z.
Lol.

Got an Motordyne Schockwave V2 to listen to as primary, but some music every now and then would be nice also.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had great reception with my Honda Fit antenna.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM
dark knight89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wietse350Z
He all,

I read a lot of threads regarding the bad FM reception of the Bose units.
For some time i've been trying to solve this, read that most problems are caused by bad grounding.
I've made a grounding wire and installed this on the bolts that hold the antenna bracket and the amplifier but still reception is bad.
When i bought the car it had a stubby antenna, bought another good quality antenna and tried that also but so far no good.

With either antenna the only thing that makes reception good is when i grab the antenna with my hand, it becomes clear as a whistle without any disturbance.

To me this issue still must have something to do with the grounding/static electricity but i am not sure how to proceed and if another grounding wire will make a difference (and where to connect this)

When i disconnect the plug from the amplifier the signal is completely lost, so assuming all cables are connected behind the radio.
As far as i know the radio has never been removed and therefore i assume all harness etc. behind the radio is still as from factory.
I can not check if the amplifier is getting any voltage as it's power supply plug hole is too small to insert the pin of my multimeter.

Anybody ever solved this issue?
All threads i've seen are a dead end without a permanent solution for this issue.

Car info:
2007 GT
OEM Bose radio
i have 2008 z not the bose unit but the basic stock head unit. I am having the exact same issue. I have been searching everywhere to solve this and can't find anything. I have everything connected correctly into the head unit and antenna. Where you ever able to figure it out?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Oh, boy.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
dark knight89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just tried replacing the antenna amplifier thinking that could be the issue but no luck. If you ever solve the issue I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Almost every reception problem (99% of reception problems) is caused by one of two things: a bad ground on the antenna, or a bad antenna cable running from the antenna to the radio.

First thing to do is checking your coaxial cable. After doing that, you need to look for ground failures. If there isn’t a problem there, you have a faulty H/U or antenna.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by dark knight89
Where you ever able to figure it out?
His post was from 2015 and he hasn't logged in since 08-04-2016. Spike's advice is solid. There are a ton of other discussions about the antenna (Bose + Non-Bose) on this forum.

You can also check out the antenna wiring on your car's FSM, which is available online at: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/350Z/

Good luck.

p.s. No need to keep posting the same thing in multiple re-hashed threads. You're just going to confuse the issue. Feel free to start a new thread explaining the problem with references to the old threads you've looked at. The likelihood that someone is going to respond to an issue they rectified in an old thread years ago is slim to none.

Last edited by zakmartin; 03-17-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM
zakmartin

Here's the FSM link you want:

http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/350Z...oadster/AV.pdf