Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Looking for a quality in dash GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:24 PM
CWDings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a quality in dash GPS system

I bought a 2004 350Z this past summer and I would like to get an in-dash GPS/Stereo system installed in it. I've been researching but I could use some help deciding on a unit. I'm open for all the help I can get. I'm sure others have installed GPS system in their Z's so what's your recommendations? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM
jg021v

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Garmin Simple

If you are a techie you can drill a hole in the center of the cubby. Attatch a Garmin mount how you please (zip tie/screw) for the mount. Just run a wire to to power it up via the Cig. lighter plug. Simple.

No Extra Wiring OEM DVD or dash panel buttons required.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Zim_Returns

What are you looking to spend? I have a kenwood excelon and I love it.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 AM
CWDings

I was hoping to keep it under 1000.00
Old 01-06-2015, 10:29 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

I've been running a Pioneer AVIC D3 for years in mine with absolutely no issues. [other than some douchbag trying to break in and steal it] But since I like listening to podcasts and the tech for Pioneer is finally available I plan to upgrade to one of the newer units.

Check out Crutchfield.com for some options up to and under $1000 if you want something slightly better/modular than the Garmin.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jg021v
If you are a techie you can drill a hole in the center of the cubby. Attatch a Garmin mount how you please (zip tie/screw) for the mount. Just run a wire to to power it up via the Cig. lighter plug. Simple.

No Extra Wiring OEM DVD or dash panel buttons required.
I second this, I wish I would have thought about doing this with a GPS, I did it with a SiriusXM radio.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I just purchased and installed the new Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my Z. So far I'm loving it.
The 4000NEX doesn't have built-in GPS, but it supports Apple Carplay. If you have an Iphone 4S or above, you can use the Apple Map system. The Siri Eye's free system works pretty nicely.

If don't live in an area with Decent 3G or LTE signal, then you can look at the higher end models (7000 or 8000 NEX). These have built-in GPS and also support Carplay. But I think the 4000 NEX gives you the most bang for your buck (under $600). It has all the bells and whistles of any top end double DIN head unit. The only two negatives I can think of are;
1) Resistive touch screen (as opposed to capacitive)
2) GPS NAV is not built-in.

Otherwise it's a fantastic alternative. Right off the bat you get more feature support than almost any current dealership option. I'll be honest, I love it. Carplay is sweet, bluetooth works great, 2xUSB ports and 1xSD port is awesome, and SiriusXM is great.
-Icer
Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now I think icer is on the right track - depending on if and what kind of smartphone you have.
I would be looking at a video receiver with touchscreen, but without any built in navigation.
You can get the Pioneer AppRadio3 (just discontinued) for well under $400 and it should be able to mirrorcast the screen from any iPhone (4+) or any of the newer high end Andriod phones (Galaxy S4, LG3, OneX, etc) with an mhl cable and/or the mirrorlink app.

The great thing about using your existing smartphone is that you arent tied to any particular platform, and in most cases map updates are unnecessary or free.
You can use the native IPhone or Andriod navigation, or download Sygic, Garmin, TomTom or Magellan apps just to name a few of the big guys.

I use the stock andriod nav and it works great, but I have also used Sygic, which I really like. For $40 you get the app and unlimited map downloads, so your maps are never out of date. And it will work without a data plan (after you download the maps) so you dont have to worry about dead areas with no cell coverage.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 AM
bcoffee20

I was recently looking for some that run android so that you could use waze, torque, or other apps. They link to your phone via Bluetooth and use the data through that. I found a install by a corvette owner from a couple months ago and he loved it since he can use torque with a obd bluetooth reader and not have to install gauges. I believe the one he used is below and he received it in less than a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Android-...-/201199300773
Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Zmandriving

I got the pioneer unit. I dont have the version that has gps but has the touchscreen and dvd player in it. I rarely use the cd/dvd player and it has usb port that I hook up my ipod. I havn't tried my android phone on it even though I have had it for 2 years.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

If you don't care about SiriusXM, I highly recommend the Pioneer AppRadio 4. It's under $500.00 and supports Carplay. It also has a capacitive touch screen. I was originally going to choose this, but not having the SiriusXM option is what killed it for me. It also doesn't accept CDs, they did away with that on the Appradio4. Honestly I haven't used any of my CDs in my NEX yet. I immediately ripped all my CDs onto my computer via iTunes and then put them on a 32GB SD card right after the install. My entire CD library is now available anytime I want in the car with a few touches of the screen.

Another cool feature I love about the Pioneers is that you can tune/adjust the illumination LEDs to whatever color you want. I currently have my NEX perfectly matched to the Amber/orange color that is factory on 350Z interior gauges/backlights/buttons. You can also change the menu/display theme AND you can upload custom backgrounds. With the right dash kit, the new head unit honestly looks like it belongs in my car. Years ago I never upgraded because all of the double din head units of the time had whacky colors, buttons, ***** that would have looked terrible in the 350Z. My pioneer unit actually compliments the interior.

I've also noticed a massive improvement with the sound quality of my OEM non-Bose speakers. It could just be the placebo effect, but I don't think so. The built-in EQ on the Pioneer units is fantastic.

-Icer
Old 01-09-2015, 02:10 PM
aboveliquidice

Android tablet... 10x the capabilities for chump change. The nexus 7 2013 can be had used for around $100.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been using My kenwood 890HD for about a year now. Love it. Adjustable colors so I was able to match the oem color.. and never had an issue with the nav or gotten lost haha. Kenwood is only one I found to use garmin maps and I have lifetime updates so that was why I went kenwood. But have no complaints so far.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

I have a Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX. Love it!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bcoffee20
I was recently looking for some that run android so that you could use waze, torque, or other apps. They link to your phone via Bluetooth and use the data through that. I found a install by a corvette owner from a couple months ago and he loved it since he can use torque with a obd bluetooth reader and not have to install gauges. I believe the one he used is below and he received it in less than a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Android-...-/201199300773
Honestly, these new pure Android stereos seem like the best bang for the buck in my opinion. You get all of the features and apps of a tablet, but you don't have to worry about cutting up your dash/cubby for it to work and all of the inputs/outputs are already there for you.

I've done fairly extensive research regarding these and will absolutely be what I'm putting in when I'm ready to upgrade the head unit... which will probably be pretty soon as anyone who has the stock system can attest it's absolute junk.

The ONLY downside I can see is that, in the future you may have trouble getting Android updates on it. So if you do go this route make sure you find the latest possible software. (You'll be hard pressed to find Lolipop at this point, but Kitkat (4.4) has several years before it will even start losing app support.

For the money (Less than $400), you get any app you can imagine (I use Spotify like a madman for the tunes), 3G/4G/LTE/Wifi (You can always hotspot with your phone too). Bluetooth, so you don't actually need to use your phone for it to connect to bluetooth ready ELM27 OBDII readers, the head unit will pick it up alone. The best and most up to date map/navigation system (Google Maps/Navigation). SiriusXM if that's your thing, screen mirroring, use your phone as a remote, decent MOSFET amplifiers, mappable steering wheel controls, blahblahblah, the list goes on and on.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM
damnhippie

Originally Posted by n0smoke
Honestly, these new pure Android stereos seem like the best bang for the buck in my opinion. You get all of the features and apps of a tablet, but you don't have to worry about cutting up your dash/cubby for it to work and all of the inputs/outputs are already there for you.

I've done fairly extensive research regarding these and will absolutely be what I'm putting in when I'm ready to upgrade the head unit... which will probably be pretty soon as anyone who has the stock system can attest it's absolute junk.

The ONLY downside I can see is that, in the future you may have trouble getting Android updates on it. So if you do go this route make sure you find the latest possible software. (You'll be hard pressed to find Lolipop at this point, but Kitkat (4.4) has several years before it will even start losing app support.

For the money (Less than $400), you get any app you can imagine (I use Spotify like a madman for the tunes), 3G/4G/LTE/Wifi (You can always hotspot with your phone too). Bluetooth, so you don't actually need to use your phone for it to connect to bluetooth ready ELM27 OBDII readers, the head unit will pick it up alone. The best and most up to date map/navigation system (Google Maps/Navigation). SiriusXM if that's your thing, screen mirroring, use your phone as a remote, decent MOSFET amplifiers, mappable steering wheel controls, blahblahblah, the list goes on and on.
Have you upgraded your head unit to one of these pure android units? I'm thinking about it and curious about the sound quality and if you can connect a usb hub to it or not.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
I've been running a Pioneer AVIC D3 for years in mine with absolutely no issues. [other than some douchbag trying to break in and steal it] But since I like listening to podcasts and the tech for Pioneer is finally available I plan to upgrade to one of the newer units.

Check out Crutchfield.com for some options up to and under $1000 if you want something slightly better/modular than the Garmin.
this is what I got, but I don't have the version that has gps. Have had 0 problems and it looks nice in the car.