Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Advice on my box or smaller subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Alan Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my box or smaller subs

Hey all,

I currently have 2 12" subs which I got right before i bought my Z. It used to be in a regular ported box but it didn't fit in my Z so I had to get this custom one.

However when it's turned up, the bass is very strangled if that makes sense. with the old square box it sounded boomy but with my Z I have to turn the subwoofer to -4 otherwise when I turn the volume up it sounds throttled.

I believe the air space for my box is .9 cb ft per side, and it has a mounting depth of 9".
Would the box that takes up the whole trunk make it sound better? but those boxes have 1.10 cb ft of air space and 7 5/8 mounting depth so I'm not sure if it'll make a difference.

If anything I'll probably get a box for 1 12" sub or 2 10s, not sure yet. thanks in advance and here's what I have atm.

Last edited by Alan Go; 01-26-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

sale the 12s and get a rear facing box for dual 10s. you will be happy
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Alan Go

Originally Posted by travlee
sale the 12s and get a rear facing box for dual 10s. you will be happy
to go under the strut brace? how much different do dual 10"s actually sound compared to dual 12"s for low notes?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

I have 2 12s in my car, my box is also custom made and it is also not ported.
And judging by the size of your box, yours actually looks bigger than mine. Ive never had any problems with mine and I think it sounds great.
Advice on my box or smaller subs-8dic4lm.jpg
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

How big is this custom box? How much air space do your subs require? Ported at what frequency? What size port? Lots of unknowns here.

Speakers are only as good as the box they are in. My normal means of attack is figure out how much space you can spare then work backwards from there. So if the air space you have supports 10" then do 10"s because stuffing 12" into a small space will not get you anyway unless you've got massive power levels to force the speakers to play lower/louder.

Ported boxes are almost always bigger then sealed, but are louder at their tuning frequency. If the box is too small it will not hit / go very deep.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Alan Go

Originally Posted by JMII
How big is this custom box? How much air space do your subs require? Ported at what frequency? What size port? Lots of unknowns here.

Speakers are only as good as the box they are in. My normal means of attack is figure out how much space you can spare then work backwards from there. So if the air space you have supports 10" then do 10"s because stuffing 12" into a small space will not get you anyway unless you've got massive power levels to force the speakers to play lower/louder.

Ported boxes are almost always bigger then sealed, but are louder at their tuning frequency. If the box is too small it will not hit / go very deep.
I was actually going to get that box the guy has up there but I didn't want to make my trunk unavailable. I think the mounting depth in that one is less too.
These are the specs for my box, but I couldn't find the amount of air my Memphis subs needed. :/

I'm guessing my subs need more air space? when they were in a ported normal box in my old car they hit any bass level really well but with this box, when it needs to hit a deep level it sounds very constricted. i don't want to get that box that fits in my actual trunk if it's going to sound the same, so maybe I should get 2 10"s or just stick to 1 12" sub. kind of stuck. I mean it sounds alright just not at higher volumes, the bass doesn't hit as hard as my old box.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

that has the air space needed for 10s...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 AM
Alan Go

Originally Posted by travlee
that has the air space needed for 10s...
including the box the guy posted up there? it was quoted at 1.10 per sub for the box that goes in the trunk, but I feel like mine have less than what it's stated as because its angled on the side the amp is hooked on.
This is probably why there's not a lot of people I know with dual 12"s in their Z's
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 AM
JMII

Originally Posted by Alan Go
These are the specs for my box, but I couldn't find the amount of air my Memphis subs needed.

I'm guessing my subs need more air space? when they were in a ported normal box in my old car they hit any bass level really well but with this box, when it needs to hit a deep level it sounds very constricted.
So this new box is sealed? Same amp? If so that explains it as ported boxes are generally louder.

But without the specs for the subs I have no idea what size box they should be in, or if they optimized for sealed or ported.

At 1.0 cu ft per side you can still run some 12"s. On the budget side you've got Infinity Reference, JL Audio W1, Kicker CompVR, Image Dynamics and I'm sure there are more. These are just brands I've dealt with personally.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

if you are going to dedicate the trunk, you also could remove the spare , jack , and Styrofoam

then you actually have quite a bit of space

I have done that I use a 15" ported
Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Alan Go

im not sure if I'm quite ready to dedicate my whole trunk especially if I need to remove my spare tire. but here is a quick clip on the sound I was referring to, not sure if you guys can hear it but it's kind of like a droning noise especially when the bass is +2 or +3 out of +8. I always have it on -4, and volume is never above 25/50
<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2cx7ia&s=8"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2cx7ia&s=8">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>

not sure if you can see that because I can't on my phone but here's a link
View My Video
Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
if you are going to dedicate the trunk, you also could remove the spare , jack , and Styrofoam

then you actually have quite a bit of space

I have done that I use a 15" ported
I removed my spare tire and jack equipment. I didn't even use that area but my spare was useless anyway being that my car didn't come with the Brembos but now I have them
Old 01-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Alan Go

took my box all apart last night and padded the inside with polyfill. decided to go with the sheets instead of the ball stuff, and made about 3 thin layers and made sure nothing was touching the sub, it improved the bass and I can have it at 0 instead of -4. not sure if I should add a couple more sheets but I don't want my stuff to catch on fire, how much should I put? the bag didn't have the weight
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 AM
JMII

http://nousaine.com/nousaine_tech_articles.html download the article on box stuffing.

I don't think it will catch fire, but there is a point at which is stops helping. 1lb per cu. ft. is a easy rule to remember.