Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose subwoofer wire split?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
sherm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose subwoofer wire split?

So i thought my subwoofer had blown as it made its last raspy thud before no longer going "boom, boom". So I took off the cover and took out the bolts that held it in and this is what I found. My first question is: is it fixable? Second question is: once it's fixed, will it perform how it did prior to the wire splitting? As in will the quality of sound be affected. And my final question: how the frack did this happen?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just solder it back on.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:28 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tinsel leads break all the time. They get flexed constantly. If you bend something back and forth enough times it will eventually break.

You can solder it back on if it will reach and it will work just fine as long as there is enough slack in it to allow cone movement.

You can get replacement leads but the stock sub isn't really worth tearing apart to replace the lead.

Ask around and I'm sure there are plenty people like me that have their stock sub laying in the corner. Maybe someone local to you has one you could have or buy for cheap.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 AM
sherm

Originally Posted by 92K1500
Tinsel leads break all the time. They get flexed constantly. If you bend something back and forth enough times it will eventually break.

You can solder it back on if it will reach and it will work just fine as long as there is enough slack in it to allow cone movement.

You can get replacement leads but the stock sub isn't really worth tearing apart to replace the lead.

Ask around and I'm sure there are plenty people like me that have their stock sub laying in the corner. Maybe someone local to you has one you could have or buy for cheap.
You say laying in the corner, are you hinting that the bose subwoofer isn't all that great? If so, what brand would you recommend to replace it? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 PM
outlaw9259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go witha shallow frost gate fits in the stock area but you will need a new amp too I upgraded mine when my sub failed you can definitely hear and feel a difference. Can't even max it and the chair vibrates lol
Old 05-03-2015, 03:20 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The entire Bose system is junk. I stripped it all out of my car and ran all new stuff. Don't ask for my opinion unless you have about a $2k budget. Back in the day I had some sponsors so I didn't have to pay full price for stuff.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM
sherm

Originally Posted by 92K1500
The entire Bose system is junk. I stripped it all out of my car and ran all new stuff. Don't ask for my opinion unless you have about a $2k budget. Back in the day I had some sponsors so I didn't have to pay full price for stuff.
Entertain me, I just want something better if there is better out there, which as you've indicated there is. I'm not too audio savvy, so I'm not sure what kind of amp I'd need or what kind of sub or tweeters or whatever I'd need.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm
Entertain me, I just want something better if there is better out there, which as you've indicated there is. I'm not too audio savvy, so I'm not sure what kind of amp I'd need or what kind of sub or tweeters or whatever I'd need.
I replaced everything for just over $1K.

- Alpine Head Unit $300
- Alpine Imprint DSP Processor $170
- Sirius/XM Interface $120
- Kicker IX500.4 amp $300
- Infinity Reference 6030CS front mids/tweets - $100
- Infinity Reference 860W 8" sub - $100
- Speaker box, various adapters, mounting kit, wiring, etc - $120

Pretty basic system that sounds about 100X better then the Bose junk. The 8" sub is mounted in a modified angled truck box that fires thru the stock opening. You can get a 10" in there but magnet depth becomes an issue. The other Infinity speakers also fit behind the factory grills so my car looks dead stock aside from the radio. JVC makes some double DIN radios that could pass for stock if you wanted to go more stealth.