Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help with 2006 audio system design

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Hotlaprc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 2006 audio system design

I have a 2006 base nissan 350z. I am going to up grade the audio system in it.
I already have these items ...
Kenwood DDX471HD head unit new in the box
Kenwood XR5S amp

I want to get new 6.5 component speakers for the doors. I am in the $180 to $299 price range ... Looking at JL AUDIO TR650CSI, DIAMOND AUDIO D65C, HERTZ ESK165.4 and FOCAL 165AS.

Do I really need door pods?
Will the tweeters sound fine in stock locations?
Will there reall be much difference between the above speakers?

All of those speakers sound great in the show room ... All have different amps powering them since each store sells the different brand so not a real comparison. .. Any help will be appreciated ... Ohh gonna run 1 10" JL in a corner fiberglass box from wicked cas. Also plan on using some dynamat on the doors.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The equipment in your list will provide good sound.

Kenwood provides excellent head units; you cannot go wrong there.

External amplifiers provide better sound and are important, but I’ve never believed there is a huge difference in brands. The difference among external amplifiers’ sound quality is specifications.

No… Although Focal is my preference in component speakers, any of the speakers you list are good.

Again, No… Door pods sound better, but they are not a requirement for good sound.

They will be OK, but just that. The stock Sail Panel tweeter position is poor because the high frequency sound from your tweeters is very directional. It’s impossible to stage the directional sound from the stock Sail Panels.

The 350z benefits enormously from sound deadening. For sure start with the doors; after that you will want to deaden the rear cargo floor and rear wheel wells.

Last edited by Spike100; 05-21-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Hotlaprc

Great to hear ... Was hoping to hear some feed back on people who have installed and used any of the above speakers.

I figured the pods would sound a little better but $300 better???
Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Spike100

I have the Focals you ask about. They provide great sound. I love the bass from this speaker (not “too hot” and “not too cold,” but “just right”).

Pods sound better, but just a little better. The big gain is replacing the dense speaker cover.

Originally Posted by Hotlaprc
Great to hear ... Was hoping to hear some feed back on people who have installed and used any of the above speakers.

I figured the pods would sound a little better but $300 better???
Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Install plays the greater role over your list of parts choices
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Hotlaprc

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
Install plays the greater role over your list of parts choices
Please explain ... Pretty basic install to be honest.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I have the Focals you ask about. They provide great sound. I love the bass from this speaker (not “too hot” and “not too cold,” but “just right”).

Pods sound better, but just a little better. The big gain is replacing the dense speaker cover.
I have NON-component two-way Focals and I love 'em. They're very efficient. I only have 50w/ch (to the F&R) and are very clean without cranking them.

And I drive with my window OPEN all the time.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Hotlaprc

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I have NON-component two-way Focals and I love 'em. They're very efficient. I only have 50w/ch (to the F&R) and are very clean without cranking them.

Are they mounted in the stock locations?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Spike100

I agree. It’s my opinion that quality two-way speakers are underrated when comparing to component speakers. There are many two way speakers that provide excellent sound.

The advantage I see with component speakers is the ability to mount tweeters in positions taking advantage of the high frequency’s directional sound. For example, I mounted my Focals’ tweeters in the A-Pillar to allow bouncing sound off the windscreen to create a front center stage.

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Old 05-23-2015, 02:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotlaprc
Are they mounted in the stock locations?
Yep. Used ring adapters in the doors to fit them but had to drill anyways as the stock speakers use a funky screw pattern (or something, IIRC).

Rears were sized perfectly but also had to re-drill new holes. Not a big deal at all.

Biggest PITA on my install was running new speaker wires from amp in cubby back to the doors. But even that wasn't a big deal once every trim piece was removed.

Originally Posted by Spike100
I agree. It’s my opinion that quality two-way speakers are underrated when comparing to component speakers. There are many two way speakers that provide excellent sound.

The advantage I see with component speakers is the ability to mount tweeters in positions taking advantage of the high frequency’s directional sound. For example, I mounted my Focals’ tweeters in the A-Pillar to allow bouncing sound off the windscreen to create a front center stage.
Yep, upper frequency response (and sound quality) would have benefit from using directional dashpods and separates but I just didn't feel like dealing with that and wanted to keep costs down. Again, I ref the "open window" comment and sound was a secondary priority to me in this car. I spent less than $1500 (HU, spkrs, amp, etc.) on the entire system and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Probably going to re-do the system in my Niz because I don't care much for the sound, the HU, and the sub sitting on the floor of the rear deck. IOW, I hate the whole thing the P.O. installed.

Mic
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Spike100

Mic… I get it. Some owners spend insane amounts for better sound from a CES in a relatively noisy car. The Z is meant for performance and the track. The better upgrade choices “for the buck” are probably suspension, wheels, and tires.

The temptation to upgrade the Z’s CES is simply that the OEM CES (Clarion or Bose) is junk.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:28 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

the stock tweeter locations create left and right separation , and fail to deliver a centered sound stage

and the mid location creates a very diffused result

so that said the install and going the extra mile not to use the factory mounting locations goes a much longer way than what parts are picked

however what you are doing is an improvement over stock
Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
the stock tweeter locations create left and right separation , and fail to deliver a centered sound stage
I used Alpine's Imprint DSP system to overcome the stock mounting locations. With the right time delays you get a great center sound stage. For your average listener the stock locations aren't horrible, I've seen (actually... heard) worst.

As mentioned ANYTHING is better then the stock BOSE system.