Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Components Speakers with no fabrication?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 PM
AP350z223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Components Speakers with no fabrication?

I'm looking to install some component speakers in my Z, but I've honestly never installed component speakers before. It seems there is some fabrication involved depending on the speaker. I'd like to buy a set that requires none but do not want to sacrifice sound quality. So basically are there a set of really kick *** sounding components that fit in the factory locations with 0 modification? Right now I have a zapco 4 channel amp lying around I can use to power them also.

I keep reading that people are only using front speakers? This to me sounds nuts, but after looking at where the rears are I guess it makes sense. Will it sound weird, and do you kind of need a subwoofer for it to sound proper? Or are there really people with just use two component speakers for the whole car? Meaning no sub, and no rears either.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Here's my past review of MB Quart DSC-216 (their entry level series) in my track model Z. It includes some updates, but these speakers are still rockin' it today:

Pros: An excellent and innovative design at a reasonable cost.
Cons: Lack of crossover adjustability. Always better speakers out there!

MB Quart is well known in audiophile circles for producing some of the best high-end car speakers in the industry. If money is no object, than have they got some speakers for you! Well, my objective wasn't to spend a lot of green to upgrade the stereo in my 2003 Nissan 350Z track model. However, I was pleased to find that the famed German manufacturer makes a set of component speakers for the budget minded among us. What makes the DSC-216 special is the way that certain elements from the higher speaker lines end up in what is, admittedly, their entry-level speakers.

One example of this is the 13mm titanium tweeter. It is surrounded by some of the latest materials available in 2003: a neodymium magnet structure within a specially designed metal cooling housing. This design is found in MB Quart's higher speaker lines and helps to remove excess energy generated inside the tweeter's magnet and voice coil assembly to improve power handling and reliability. The tweeter, which is also protected by a sealed crossover (no adjustability), really shines in recreating the higher notes. Some have found highs too "bright" in this speaker line, but I found them just right in cutting through the usual background noise of a sportscar. Another plus is the tweeters size: small enough to be mounted anywhere and adaptability. It comes with plastic housings and metal grills to allow for a variety of mountings: angled, flush-mounted or, in my case, mounted in the door sail panels of the 350Z.

How much bass can a relatively small 6.5" speaker produce? In the DSC-216, it's easily enough to rock my car! While I'm not looking to impress anybody in the car next to me, the pounding bass is enough to make the doors move on some of my favorite cuts. Credit a unique design, of which MB Quart propaganda states: "...made from polyamide ABS composite reinforced with extremely short glass fibers to form the basket. Similar to our Premium and Reference Line baskets, our new design will withstand temperature and humidity extremes with little, if any, reaction. The magnetic motor assembly is attached via a metal flange that acts both as a cooling element and as a protective covering to seal out dirt, humidity and temperature fluctuations. Because the basket is non-metallic, non-magnetic and resonance-free, it becomes one of the most ideal designs for automotive loudspeaker application. The cones of the drivers are made of a special mineral-based polypropylene. This material is far superior to a conventional paper cone. This applies to both its acoustical properties and its resistance to humidity, temperature fluctuations and UV radiation. The result is pure listening pleasure, year after year." I hope this last part is true, as I've had the pleasure of listening to these speakers for over a month with no drop-off in performance.

These speakers need a lot of clean, pure power to sound their best. Rated at between 90-150 watts, I matched them with a two channel USX-2100 amp (see "More Punch for the Buck" epinions review under U.S. Acoustics for more details) supplying 100 watts at 12.9 volts. I'm constantly delighted with the sound clarity and warmth that this combination generates. I'm sure there is a lot more technical information that I could stick in here, but that's relevant only if I can explain why it works! The point is that by retaining the stock head unit (together with the rear stock speakers to provide some "rear fill" sound) and using a separate amp for the DSC-216s, you can create a detailed front soundstage- ideal for a car like the 350Z. Cost is reasonable and, due to the adaptability of this product, the speakers have an additional benefit of being virtually invisible to thieves.

2007 Update: In the years since I published this review, I continue to marvel at how good the MB Quarts continue to make my 350Z sound! I recognize that advances in speaker technology have continued and that my upgraded system is just that. But my ears tell me that the crisp sound--the distinctive highs and strong base--have endured throughout thousands of miles. All the things I reported in this review continue to be true and I continue to believe that this was some of the best money I have ever spent!

2013 update: This year will be the 11th anniversary for my 350Z and the MB Quart DSC 216s that were installed so long ago. They've been rock solid over the years and continue to be a prime source of aural pleasure in my vehicle. Combined with the USX-2100 amp, these speakers have consistently turned music into a revelation every time I get in. The crystal clear highs continue to amaze me, and while this simple upgrade won't deafen, the volume is still enough to satisfy.
The following users liked this post:
AP350z223 (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

The Infinity Reference 6030CS I put in only required the spacers for the mids, the tweeters drop right in. I wouldn't call the spacers a "modification" as they just insure the speakers don't hit the glass in the door. They bolt right in using the factory mounting holes and screws, then you attach the mids to them. I'm sure there are some pictures around here to show you. The only tricky part is figuring out where to mount the crossover in the door. My crossovers are under my front seats as I rewired the doors which I do NOT recommend if you've never done this kind of work before because its a PITA.

Personally I wouldn't run a system without a sub but it depends on your taste in music and how much bass you want/need. Clearly plenty of factory systems use a 6.5" mid woofers with no true sub.

As for the rear speakers - have you ever seen a concert where the speakers are in behind you? Nope... the idea is front sound stage, music should come from in front of you. Thus I along with many other run no rears. If do wire them up to your amp you can always use the front/rear fader on the stereo to adjust the sound level front-to-back to your liking. Now if your going with no sub then running rears may help fill in some of the extra bass you'll be missing. In that situation I'd run co-axial rear speakers but with the tweeters disconnected to keep the sound stage up front.

Last edited by JMII; 08-28-2015 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AP350z223 (08-28-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
AP350z223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up buying a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components, along with a JL 8in micro sub. They sound freaking sick! I never heard of this company but went to my local car audio place and these were apparently the ones to have. If you haven't heard of them, look into this company. By far some of the best speakers I've heard in this price bracket! Thanks for the help, and ideas!