Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Touchscreen in a Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:06 AM
jlb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touchscreen in a Roadster

Hey all. Slowly purchasing components for my audio rehaul in the roadster. I searched for a bit, and didnt find much on here, but was wondering if anyone that has a touchscreen in their roadster, if its really difficult to see in the daytime. The one I am specifically looking at is the Pioneer AVH-270BT.

http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-6-2-cd-dvd-built-in-bluetooth-apple-ipod-ready-in-dash-receiver-multi/2719011.p?id=1219561627718&skuId=2719011

My budget for the headunit is about 300. Dont need a ton of features, bluetooth audio, double din and rca and sub outs. Any info appreciated. Especially if you have a roadster and can comment on the screen.

Thanks guys.

-Jared
Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT head unit in my roadster back in 2010. I will admit, it is hard to see with the top down and the sun shining directly on it either from directly overhead or when the sun is behind you. But, as long as sunlight is not hitting it straight on, you can still read it easily.

Since you're looking at a Pioneer unit, it probably has the same touchscreen as mine. My touchscreen is resistive (front is made of flexible plastic with a thin film of conductive material underneath) so there is a dull glare as opposed to a glossy finish with a capacitive screen (like your smartphone).

And, go ahead and forget about taking phone calls with bluetooth when the top is down. lol.

I guess you could help with the dull glare by fabricating some type of glare shield or visor, but that would be pretty fugly IMO.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:49 PM
jlb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT head unit in my roadster back in 2010. I will admit, it is hard to see with the top down and the sun shining directly on it either from directly overhead or when the sun is behind you. But, as long as sunlight is not hitting it straight on, you can still read it easily.

Since you're looking at a Pioneer unit, it probably has the same touchscreen as mine. My touchscreen is resistive (front is made of flexible plastic with a thin film of conductive material underneath) so there is a dull glare as opposed to a glossy finish with a capacitive screen (like your smartphone).

And, go ahead and forget about taking phone calls with bluetooth when the top is down. lol.

I guess you could help with the dull glare by fabricating some type of glare shield or visor, but that would be pretty fugly IMO.

Thanks for the info. Yea, pretty much what I was afraid of. I only really drive it in top down weather, so the sun will be a major factor. I guess I'm just going to try it. Any screen will probably be hard to read in direct sunlight. As for the bluetooth mic, i'll install it. But I'm not holding my breath. Ill try it low, so maybe it'll be a bit better with the windows up, but I'm not overly worried about that. Thanks for the info man, appreciate it!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

Sure thing, bud. The glare or inability to see the screen probably won't bother you once you familiarize yourself with the controls and the location of the "buttons" on the screen. My sunglasses are polarized and that helps, too.

I installed my mic near the top of the A pillar and get a fair amount of wind noise with the top down at speed (and windows down - see convertible rule, lol). I think some people have been able to reduce the noise significantly by either mounting the mic in front of the tach behind the steering wheel or next to the vent/cubby by the waterfall.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:55 AM
kazuya13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt check to see how old the post was but I have an alpine ine w960 in mine and it looks fine with the top down and shades on.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:27 PM
kaustein

Just bought a pioneer something. Appleplay. Still waiting for the parts to come in. Needed the trim panel, and steering wheel adapter to radio. And I'm paying BB to do the install. I have neither the patience nor time to do it myself.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 AM
kaustein

I had a Kenwood installed. Works perfectly. Touchscreen. Touchscreen even has a tilt option on it so no reflection with top down
Old 10-13-2017, 05:06 PM
David R

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Sure thing, bud. The glare or inability to see the screen probably won't bother you once you familiarize yourself with the controls and the location of the "buttons" on the screen. My sunglasses are polarized and that helps, too.

I installed my mic near the top of the A pillar and get a fair amount of wind noise with the top down at speed (and windows down - see convertible rule, lol). I think some people have been able to reduce the noise significantly by either mounting the mic in front of the tach behind the steering wheel or next to the vent/cubby by the waterfall.
I think I figured out a fix for the microphone wind noise, I have an extra foam wind screen for my SENA motorcycle Bluetooth and it fit perfectly on the mic on the A pillar.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 AM
Michael Polley

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb
Hey all. Slowly purchasing components for my audio rehaul in the roadster. I searched for a bit, and didnt find much on here, but was wondering if anyone that has a touchscreen in their roadster, if its really difficult to see in the daytime. The one I am specifically looking at is the Pioneer AVH-270BT.

http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-6-2-cd-dvd-built-in-bluetooth-apple-ipod-ready-in-dash-receiver-multi/2719011.p?id=1219561627718&skuId=2719011

My budget for the headunit is about 300. Dont need a ton of features, bluetooth audio, double din and rca and sub outs. Any info appreciated. Especially if you have a roadster and can comment on the screen.

Thanks guys.

-Jared
I dont have a touch screen audio in my 04 roadster but i have stock navigation,no problem seeing it with the top down