Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Confused with new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 AM
The Burgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused with new head unit

I have an 08 touring Bose no Nav. Bought a Kenwood DDX372bt 70-7551 harness and i am having 2 issues.

This was my first radio install and i guess i didn't do enough research. I'm surprised it even powered up. I hooked all the wires needed including amp and antenna wires. Sound is very low and I absolutely have no radio reception. I grounded 2 wires from metra one from kenwood and the parking brake to the metal bracket on the bottom of the console.

I have searched and searched and have gone full circle, this works that works and I'm still confused. Should i get the Pac nis1 or nis2? I also read on the g35 forum that they run the 12v red wire to the antenna wires for reception. I have not heard of anyone doing that hear.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Drive Safe.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

In for an answer cause I'm having the same troubles
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

best buy charges like $40 to install them.... if you are not knowledgeable in it, i would say its money well spent. why would you run a power wire to a ground (aka antenna)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

btw, bose units (radios, amps, speakers) run at a weird ohm level (cant remember if 2 or 3) and your radio is 4.... it is not going to sound greatest no matter what you do
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

I "think" you need the PAC ROEM-NIS2 if you want to keep the Bose speakers with the aftermarket head unit as long as nothing changed from 05 to 08.

I installed that on my '05 at least 5 years ago with my Pioneer HU and kept the Blose speakers. Sound is fine. No problems. The PAC converts the 4 ohm output on your aftermarket receiver to Bose's 1 or 2 ohm.

Others will tell you that no adapter is necessary, but this worked for me.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:16 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

The power to the antenna you speak of is a booster thats no longer getting power. I get 1 station in my car...

Your new radio is sending a signal to the factory amp located in the trunk. That amp is running your speakers. My guess is your pre amps are not strong enough to send a decent signal to your factory amp... Or if your not using pre amp outputs that your speaker wire connections are mixed up... you might also just need to set up your head unit so it knows it's only sending a signal to another amp to do the work...

If your getting new speakers.. Or if you already got new speakers you might want to run new wire, or bypass that rear amp.

The whole bose thing sucks so good luck... I ripped it all out and never looked back.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 11-11-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful radio, I have the model before it and I love everything about it.

Something is wrong with the wiring. I have a Blose system as well and im using the free Metra harness crutchfield sent out and I have no issues, all works perfect.
Are you sure you have the correct blue wire hooked up? I know i flipped em when I was doing mine and it didjt work.

I'm removing my radio on friday, I can take pics of the wiring if you'd like.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:59 AM
The Burgh

Thanks for all the responses. I just ordered the pac nis2 and will see if that makes a difference. I will double check the connections to make sure I didn't screw up. On a side note, i hooked up my old iphone 4 and it's louder that my 6 which is weird, but still not loud enough. I'll just take it to best buy if all else fails.

I like to learn and do things myself, it's not the 40 bucks. I get a sense of pride when i can figure something out, plus no one will treat my car better than me. I have done numerous things to my car that I learned from this site. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Thanks again,

Drive safe!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

I found some notes from 2010 when I did my HU install. Maybe this will help:

You need to connect the AMP Wire (Blue/white) from the new head unit to the AMP Trigger (Blue/White) of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 in order for your sound to work.

That means the Power Antenna (blue) wire on the PAC ROEM-NIS2 will be left unconnected.

It seemed to make sense at the time... Not sure if it's relevant for your install. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:46 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You're likely running your sound off the pre-amp output, which is somewhere around 4 to 5 volts and controls the signal that's supposed to go to an aftermarket amp. You need to set the internal function settings on the head unit to change output to the stereo's internal amp (which is usually closer to 50 Watts X4 RMS at 4 ohms).

Read your Kenwood's manual and find out how to send the internal amp's signal to the speakers (I assume those are hooked up directly to the new head unit via the harness kit you received).

You'll find that the general consensus around here is that the best (and unfortunately, most expensive) solution is to yank out all of the BOSE gear and run aftermarket amps and speakers with your new head unit. The factory BOSE system is designed to work as a single unit and tapping into it doesn't always garner the best results (I've tried everything from simple PAC tie-ins to new speakers to the JL Audio Cleansweep and Signal Summary Unit.)
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
The Burgh

*Update*

So I finally had a chance to install the PAC ROEM-NIS2. It is a night and day difference between Pac and Metra. I played around with the Metra and got a somewhat decent sound, but the Pac is noticeably louder (spend the extra money and buy the Pac).

The Pac was more work to install but well worth it. I also installed the steering wheel control by Pac as well. Its a very tight fit for both of those units in the back of the radio, lots of cuts and scrapes on the hands.

I found out why I had no radio reception, I'm an idiot. I forgot to hook up the radio cable and now I have great reception even with my Avenger antenna. I only have one issue with the steering wheel control. When the radio is on FM the track up and down cycles through FM1, FM2 and AM not the stations. Not that big a deal but annoying.

This is a great entry level unit and I highly recommend it. Now I want to install a back-up camera but dread squeezing all those wires back in.

Buy the Pac!!!

Drive Safe.