Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Fishing a wire to HU

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Timmy Tran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing a wire to HU

Hi, I tried installing a backup camera today...I have an 04 touring roadster. I installed the backup camera to the rear, fished the wire into the trunk. What I can't figure out is how do I fish the wire from the trunk, through the car, into the front compartment, through the center console, and into the HU. Anyone have insight on this?

I did search, but all the DIY are on coupe editions not convertibles.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:37 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Im going to go ahead and say you gotta start taking everything apart and find an existing hole or harness and follow the same route.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Sure seems like it'd be easier to run that wire around the trunk to under the center console and straight up through the IP.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Timmy Tran

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sure seems like it'd be easier to run that wire around the trunk to under the center console and straight up through the IP.
What is an IP?

Also I stripped the trunk to the frame. How do I go around the spot that holds the soft top?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

IP= instrument panel. You'll probably need to carefully move the wiring around and under the soft top mechanism.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:45 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
IP= instrument panel. You'll probably need to carefully move the wiring around and under the soft top mechanism.
Sorry, can't tell you how to get around the roof mechanism exactly but can't imagine the cable should be too difficult to run along the edges of the trunk area then under/around it, no?

Then, as David (dkmura) said, you'll need to run it through the rear bulkhead (where the rear speakers are), under the center console, then up into the waterfall/instrument panel where the receiver is. It's a matter of removing all the respective panels.

If you want, PM me your email address and I can send you the stereo system install instructions for the coupe. Not sure how much the rear bulkhead differs from the roadster but at least the how-to for the console and IP are included.

First time install of an HU and speakers (excluding amp install) took me maybe 90 mins being very cautious. Now I can probably get all the panels out and chase a new cable in about 30-45.

Mic
Old 12-14-2015, 08:30 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a Touring roadster you have the Bose system correct? The amp is located in the trunk on the left side of the spare tire well - just follow that wiring loom to the front.

Or if you dont have the Bose, the antenna lead is on the same side of the trunk, you can follow that wire.

With the top in the semi closed position (main top down, but rear/5th bow up and compartment lid up) you should have easy access to the top storage compartment, just remember to secure everything you run down and keep it under the vinyl protector and you should be fine.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Then, as David (dkmura) said, you'll need to run it through the rear bulkhead (where the rear speakers are), under the center console, then up into the waterfall/instrument panel where the receiver is. It's a matter of removing all the respective panels.
^This. Exactly what I did on my '05 roadster. If you have a wire puller, it's a lot easier to fish the wires into the cabin once you have removed all of the plastic trim pieces behind the seats, center console, shift trim, etc. You can do this with the top up or down.

Let me know if you're still having trouble and I can snap a few pics for you.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
If you have a Touring roadster you have the Bose system correct? The amp is located in the trunk on the left side of the spare tire well - just follow that wiring loom to the front.

Or if you dont have the Bose, the antenna lead is on the same side of the trunk, you can follow that wire.
The problem is the shear amount of interior bits that need to come out. Pretty much every interior plastic panel from the trunk to the center console will need to be removed. Each of those parts is interlocked and snapped into another panel. Its a royal pain if your not familiar with doing this kind of work. You must go slowly and carefully as to not break the various clips and tabs, especially when you try to put everything back in place.

You could just tuck the wires into gaps between the various parts and carpet but you risk cutting or damaging them.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Timmy Tran

thank you so much for all the info and tips.

I will keep updating on the progress (slow)

EDIT:
I have an 04 touring roadster with the bose sound system.

Last edited by Timmy Tran; 12-15-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

1) you can now buy a wireless cam, which avoids the wiring hassles.

Amazon.com : BW® 2.4G Wireless Car License Mount Rear View Backup Camera 7 IR LED Night Vision with Transmitter & Receiver (Waterproof Ip67 / Color Cmos / 135 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line) : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : BW® 2.4G Wireless Car License Mount Rear View Backup Camera 7 IR LED Night Vision with Transmitter & Receiver (Waterproof Ip67 / Color Cmos / 135 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line) : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

2) the Bose doesn't have a screen
Old 12-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Timmy Tran

Sorry I forgot to mention I have an aftermarket pioneer double din touchscreen installed. Thank you for the suggestion

Last edited by Timmy Tran; 12-15-2015 at 03:54 PM.