Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about wiring speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 AM
liqalu04

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about wiring speakers

Hey everyone,
I just installed a pioneer head unit in my 04 Z with Bose, and now the rear speakers don't work. The sub seems to be working fine, but the speakers are another case. I checked the RCA inputs and they all are in the right place, so I can't figure out what would be wrong with those.

If it comes down to it, I would probably be willing to replace the rear speakers with new ones, and just run new speaker wire to them. I do know that taking the rear speakers out requires a bit of elbow grease in pulling off the rear panels.

My main question is this: If I plan on running NEW wires to the rears, can that work in conjunction with the RCA inputs for the speakers up front? I can't see why it wouldn't, as they would be recieving power straight from the head unit. But then again, these cars always seem to have another "something" that I haven't found yet when it comes to the electronics.

Thanks for any input you guys have.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

That should be fine if you run new speaker wire to new rear speakers... If your trying to keep the same bose speakers they are a 2 ohm so it might not work out great...

Another thing to think of is their might be some delays in the sound from the speakers that are run off the factory amp and the head unit amp.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 AM
liqalu04

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
That should be fine if you run new speaker wire to new rear speakers... If your trying to keep the same bose speakers they are a 2 ohm so it might not work out great...

Another thing to think of is their might be some delays in the sound from the speakers that are run off the factory amp and the head unit amp.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the factory amp only powered the sub?
Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

You are in fact wrong... You have 2 amps one is in the rear hatch area and powers the speakers, the other is behind the seat and powers the sub.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM
liqalu04

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
You are in fact wrong... You have 2 amps one is in the rear hatch area and powers the speakers, the other is behind the seat and powers the sub.
Ahh I see, I was not aware of this. What I can't understand then is why the front speakers would work, and the rears wouldn't. If they are all routed through the same amp, why wouldn't they all work?

It would seem that the sub amp is receiving power, as well as the speaker amp.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

You could check the connections and make sure the hu is sending the signal to the amp... You could also check the settings on your hu and make sure they are turned on.

Did you use the 4 pre amp outputs on your new hu or did you use the speaker outputs into a converter box out to the factory amp? Im going to guess its not connected correctly to the rear somehow.

If you plan on getting new speakers sometime you might just want to bite the bullet and get them now... The bose factory system is a system made to work well when it's all together. Problems seem to show up when you start adding new components that are not part of the original design... Aka the bose **** is possessed by demons and will give you hell haha
Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Also if you have never investigated the factory sub... When you pull it out and see the amp and the sub you will probably get a good chuckle out of the level of garbage they came up with.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM
liqalu04

I used the 4 preamp outputs on the back of the head unit, all RCA jacks. I am certain that they're hooked up correctly, as they are color coded the same as the +/- speaker wires that I didn't end up using.

As far as the sub and it's amp, I am aware of the "high" level of quality that the bose system brings. That dinky little amp started to cut out power to my sub so I had to pull it out and put a little ball of tape to hold that one loose part down. I think the guide for that was on here somewhere.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:43 AM
liqalu04

And yeah, the stock sub looks like a large pancake..
Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Did you get your head unit from crutchfield? I remember reading if the hu preamps had limited power that they wouldn't work correctly...

Maybe in the hu you can change the settings
Old 02-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If you are replacing the 2 ohm Bose H/U with an aftermarket 4 ohm device, you need an adapter.

Originally Posted by liqalu04
Hey everyone,
I just installed a pioneer head unit in my 04 Z with Bose, and now the rear speakers don't work. The sub seems to be working fine, but the speakers are another case. I checked the RCA inputs and they all are in the right place, so I can't figure out what would be wrong with those.

If it comes down to it, I would probably be willing to replace the rear speakers with new ones, and just run new speaker wire to them. I do know that taking the rear speakers out requires a bit of elbow grease in pulling off the rear panels.

My main question is this: If I plan on running NEW wires to the rears, can that work in conjunction with the RCA inputs for the speakers up front? I can't see why it wouldn't, as they would be recieving power straight from the head unit. But then again, these cars always seem to have another "something" that I haven't found yet when it comes to the electronics.

Thanks for any input you guys have.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:47 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

I used the 4 preamp outputs on the back of the head unit, all RCA jacks. I am certain that they're hooked up correctly, as they are color coded the same as the +/- speaker wires that I didn't end up using.

As far as the sub and it's amp, I am aware of the "high" level of quality that the bose system brings. That dinky little amp started to cut out power to my sub so I had to pull it out and put a little ball of tape to hold that one loose part down. I think the guide for that was on here somewhere.
what did you hook the rca's up to? from the factory wiring there aren't any
Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 PM
liqalu04

Originally Posted by travlee
what did you hook the rca's up to? from the factory wiring there aren't any

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hA60CH6lQ8U/p_120707551/Metra-70-7551-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

I used this, I searched around on here and this is what someone said to use to bypass the Bose.

Last edited by liqalu04; 02-13-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Spike100

Are you attempting to bypass the Bose or connect your new H/U to the existing Bose amps?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hA60CH6lQ8U/p_120707551/Metra-70-7551-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

I used this, I searched around on here and this is what someone said to use to bypass the Bose.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 PM
liqalu04

Originally Posted by Spike100
Are you attempting to bypass the Bose or connect your new H/U to the existing Bose amps?
What I meant by that was to use an aftermarket HU with the existing amps and speakers, I thought that was what I was supposed to use. Misworded it by saying bypass
Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Spike100

Thanks for clearing that up... I understand now. If you are connecting to the Bose amps (and not bypassing the Bose equipment), you need an adapter/harness. It appears you have the Metra adapter/harness (which works to connect aftermarket equipment to Nissan’s OEM Bose hardware).

You report getting sound from the front speakers and the Bose SubW, but not the Bose rear speakers. That means things are generally working with the exception of the rear speakers. If the rear speakers are not working, then it is either a problem with the wire hookup (wires connected incorrectly to the adapter/harness) or the H/U setup (i.e., incorrectly setting the H/U fader).

What I meant by that was to use an aftermarket HU with the existing amps and speakers, I thought that was what I was supposed to use. Misworded it by saying bypass