Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

General discussion... Just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:12 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If your running your front speakers from a real amp (not head unit) they really should have run new better wire directly from the amp to that crossover. What's installed in the car?
Old 10-22-2016, 12:21 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polk dx6510 comps with door pods with a hifonics zeus 4ch amp bridged to the comps, i thought. 10" rf sub with a rf amp powering it. Dnx7100 headunit.

I found the tweeter on the driver side had disconnected. Guessing thats part of the crappy sound. I always felt the mid bass lacked quite a bit from the beginning though. Alwways felt it should have sounded a lot better than it did

Going to swap out the comps.

Last edited by LAKERSFAN; 10-22-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
LAKERSFAN

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
That would be the factory wiring for the door speaker, im guessing he just tapped into it or has your rear amp wires bypassed in the back. You might wanna go look and see if your factory bose amp is still hanging out in the hatch...

If its back their just hanging out disconnected you might wanna just take it out...

Running new front speaker wire is a PITA. I don't blame the installer for not bothering to do it right.
I never had the bose setup. My 2 amps are in that spot.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 PM
LAKERSFAN

I have a little better understanding of how mine is setup. What im told is that the 4ch amp is not bridged at the amp. But rather splitter cables were used to source the 2 channels into one. He mentioned something about the installer getting lazy and not running an additional rca?

Anywho i picked up a set of polk db6510 comps. Do you think i should run new cables. Theyve been in the car for 6 yrs or so. Will i get a noticeable difference if i were to run new wires? Will i get better results witing this another way then it is now?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:43 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

It's up to you on the speaker wire, depends on how motivated you are...

I would 100% run rca cables from your head unit back to your amps, not difficult and would send a much better signal.

Do you run rear speakers at all? I would deff run new speaker wires from the amp to back speakers the front really is a bit of a pain in the *** though.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN
I have a little better understanding of how mine is setup. What im told is that the 4ch amp is not bridged at the amp. But rather splitter cables were used to source the 2 channels into one. He mentioned something about the installer getting lazy and not running an additional rca?
Actually for bridging the amp this perfered. What "additional" RCAs are you going to run from the head unit? Normally you just have front and rear, plus sometimes sub. With a 4 channel amp driving the 2 front speakers all you need is the front RCAs then a splitter to feed the correct channels and bridge the amp.

As mentioned running new speaker wire for the fronts is mostly an exercise in frustration. In my truck I have the passive crossover in the doors (like your picts) but for the Z I have them under the seats and thus had to run TWO sets of wires into each door. Its wasn't fun but my crossover had a 0 or +3 dB setting which would have been impossible to mess with once hidden inside the doors.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM
LAKERSFAN

Originally Posted by JMII
Actually for bridging the amp this perfered. What "additional" RCAs are you going to run from the head unit? Normally you just have front and rear, plus sometimes sub. With a 4 channel amp driving the 2 front speakers all you need is the front RCAs then a splitter to feed the correct channels and bridge the amp.

As mentioned running new speaker wire for the fronts is mostly an exercise in frustration. In my truck I have the passive crossover in the doors (like your picts) but for the Z I have them under the seats and thus had to run TWO sets of wires into each door. Its wasn't fun but my crossover had a 0 or +3 dB setting which would have been impossible to mess with once hidden inside the doors.
I had no idea what he meant about running the rca.

Ive decided to just rewire everything. Tbe cables/wires are close to 10yrs old. So i think its time

So the way you mentioned is the best way to wire this? i would plug in the end with the single rca into the headunit front left output and comnect the 2 rca end into the 1 and 2 ch? And then connect another rca so the single end goes into HU front right output, and comnect the 2 rca end into the amps 3ch and 4 ch inputs? I hope that makes sense

Or ive heard you can run each channel to each speaker. So 1 ch to the left woofer and another ch to the left tweeter?

Ive been trying to find a wiring diagram with only 1 set of speakers with a 4 ch amp and a sub with a mono amp...... but no luck. Everyone runs rear speakers it seems
Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Damn sometimes I think I dont know English...

Sooo I would run all rca's from your head unit to the amps... So a total of 3... Front channel rear channel and sub...

I think you can run just 1 set of rca cables for some 4 channel amps but your best bet is looking in the owneowner's manual (available online just google your amps part number with manual)

Then just bridge into a 2 channel...
Old 10-26-2016, 02:18 PM
JMII

Or ive heard you can run each channel to each speaker. So 1 ch to the left woofer and another ch to the left tweeter
Correct, that's called bi-amping and requires an active crossover. You have a 4 channel amp so each channel would power a single speaker.

dboyzalter has got it right - your manual should show how to bridge or bi-amp, its your choice. However if you bi-amp then you will have no choice but to run wires to your doors. Also remember to set your active crossover properly you will fire your tweeters.

I think bridging the amp is better solution as this normally doubles the power, then just use the passive crossover to split the amplified signal between the highs (tweeters) and lows (midranges). This solution only requires 1 RCA cable since almost all RCA cables are a pair with a Left and Right connector for stereo sound, normally color coded red and white.

The question then becomes what is required to bridge the amp? Some amps can internally combine signals (so Channel 1 automatically also feeds Channels 2) while others require a spliter to combine the signal outside the amp so that 2 channels you wish to bridge receive the exact same signal.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 AM
LAKERSFAN

Well i tried to get behind to see what was going on behind the headunit, but was unsuccessful. I do know the rca cables from the input on the sub amp and the output rca cables from the 4 ch are leading back to the headunit. And the output cables are marked R. I believe the rca's going into the input of the 4 ch are also leading back to the headunit. And hes bridged the speaker wires on the 4 ch. I think those are connected to the Blue Easy Connect cable, but not sure.

Messed around with the filters on tbe 4ch and now my sub doesnt work... I changed the filters to Hi instead of Full last night. I also set the bass eq to 0db. Set the hi freq adj to 100. Set the Low freq adj to 100. The headunit doesnt recognize a sub with the filters on Hi. I think it does on Full. But turned that sub level up, and still no sub.

Have no idea how this is currently setup....

Old 10-27-2016, 10:52 AM
LAKERSFAN

Here are the instructions to the amp. And a drawing of how im supposed to wire it?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 AM
LAKERSFAN

Do i connect the outputs on the 4 ch to the passthru on the mono amp if im running rcas tovtbe headunit directly?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Do i connect the outputs on the 4 ch to the passthru on the mono amp if im running rcas tovtbe headunit directly?
You should run your rca cables from your head unit (sub out) directly to the amp that powers the sub.

Your 4 channel amp should be able to work with 1 or 2 rca cables sending a signal.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 PM
JMII

Your 2nd wiring diagram looks correct with a minor change:
you want Ch 1 & 2 to have the Front & Rear LEFT signal going to it, while Ch 3 & 4 have the Front & Rear RIGHT signal going to them.
this way you maintain your stereo sound.

The easiest way to check is to move your fader control. If its done correctly you should be able to fade right and left, (and the sound should move accordingly) but as you fade front to back the volume level should drop as you move away from the middle.

The front speakers (both channels) should be on hi-pass @ 100 HZ and the sub should be set to low-pass @ 100 Hz. However if the sub isn't working then it possible you have to use the pass thru because the sub RCA's don't actually connect back up the head unit. Without knowing how things are behind the radio this is a bit of guessing game.

The sub phase should be adjusted after you have confirmed everything is working. It should be louder when set correctly. It depends on your midranges and speaker placement as to which setting will sound best. Just don't flip the switch while its playing -instead turn the radio off, flip the switch, turn it back on and decide which phase produces the most bass response. A dB meter or frequency response app on your phone can help too as you play pink noise thru the system.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:11 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I have shelves full of OEM stuff (most of it new) from my Z and cars I no longer own in my garage. My entire Bose system got ripped out a month after I bought the car and it's been sitting in a big Rubbermaid tub covered in bubble wrap for the last 7 years. Every once in a while I'll do a clean-out and put up an ad on Craigslist or Ebay. I've also got a ton of aftermarket parts just sitting around (Infinity Kappa, JL Audio, Kicker, Pioneer, etc. etc.). My wife once accused me of throwing away money. I couldn't argue with her on that point.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:41 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
What does everyone do with all the oem junk they removed? I just found my bose subwoofer amp in a box, I know I have the factory head unit somewhere, and im pretty sure that other amp is laying around also... Along with the factory speakers.

And its not just my oem stuff, I have 2 amps, 2 subwoofer a dvd navigation touch screen head unit, (that started acting glitchy so was replaced), old head units, wiring harnesses, speakers etc etc

This **** all gets stored or cluttered around the house and im thinking I should just throw it in the trash and be done with it. But for some reason I dont...

Just wondering what others do, I just took that little amp apart for fun, and now I think its going into scrap metal or just the trash bin.
I typically take my electronics to a recycling center. I just can't throw away stuff like that knowing there are parts in there than can be recycled or can considered hazmat.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I just put this together for ***** and giggles... Turned out my old jbl amp doesn't work so well.