Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dynamat and ambient temp.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:19 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynamat and ambient temp.

I finally finished my complete dynamat installation.

-vb2 Vblock doors (better vertical adhession)
-vb2 Vblock hatch
-dynamat extreme trunk (2 layers)
-dynamat extreme driver and passenger floor
-dynamat liner under all carpet (similar to recording studio foam)

I added ~25lbs, so replaced the battery with a lightweight Optima Yellow top 51R to compensate.

On to the subject. I notice that dynamat performs dramatically different depending on the ambient temp inside my car. When the car is cold after sitting over night in the garage the dynamat does not work as well. So far 70-80F seems to be the best performance. My Z33 can be as quiet as a Lexus (some felt and rubber foam strips contributed to fix rattles).

Anyone else notice the sound dampening change depending on temp?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 AM
rlopapa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avg temp in San Diego has been 65-70 since I did the install so it seems to perform quite well all the time. So far I did the entire trunk and doors. I also lined all the panels I removed with TacMat.

I'm waiting to do my stereo install to do the floors (Xtremeliner + Dynamat Xtreme. Did you do your install in parts and if so did you notice a big difference when you did the floors?

Thanks
Robert
Old 06-14-2004, 07:11 AM
alphared

One would imagine that Dynamat would sound different at higher temp than lower. Since the majority of it is like a tar mixture. Warmer temp will soften the tar like substance on the Dynamat, hence dampening vibration. While cooler temperatures will harden the dynamat and allowing vibration to resonate.
Equate it to the spinning egg example. Raw egg spins less cause the inside is liquid which dampen inertia. A cooked one spins more.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:05 AM
shortcut3d

Originally posted by rlopapa
Avg temp in San Diego has been 65-70 since I did the install so it seems to perform quite well all the time. So far I did the entire trunk and doors. I also lined all the panels I removed with TacMat.

I'm waiting to do my stereo install to do the floors (Xtremeliner + Dynamat Xtreme. Did you do your install in parts and if so did you notice a big difference when you did the floors?

Thanks
Robert
I installed the Xtremeliner in as large pieces as possible. I cheated on the front seats install and did not remove the center or seats. The Xtremeliner is very easy to push back under the carpet and give the carpet a padded feeling. The Dynamat Extreme is sticky as all hell. So I used smaller pieces that I could handle better.

In the trunk I used as large a piece as possible.

The most important part about installing dynamat is to get the best possible contact. The stuff does not work if it is not in contact with the surface. I highly reccommend the rubber roller on the dynamat site.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
silverstoneTT

im interested in putting some of this stuff in just to dampen the sound but do not plan on installing a system anytime soon if ever.

where can i buy this stuff for cheap and see examples of how people have put it in their car?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 PM
shortcut3d

I would have taken pictures when I installed mine. I did not know anyone wanted to see the install. Dynamat Extreme is pretty ugly and looks like tin foil wrapped around the interior. Its a pain to remove the panels just for pics. Sorry.

I purchased mine from several places. Dynamat.com and local stereo shop. I tried other similar products but dynamat is superior. It does not smell, its flexible, its sticky, its quiet. I spent the difference on cheap immitation stuff just to rip it out.

I installed dynamat to quiet the road noise and engine noise. It makes exhaust note come through clean and clear, some what quieter.

My Bose sounds much better with dynamat. It needs less volume now and you can hear more.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:33 PM
silverstoneTT

are the prices on the dynamat site usually about what i should expect to pay or should i buy it from elsewhere?

would i need to put the dynamat everywhere or could i put some in the doors and expect reduced road noise?

which one should i buy if i wanted to do the door? they seem to have 200 different types of dynamat.

i think this is the next thing im gonna do to my car. all the roadnoise is tiring
Old 06-14-2004, 09:09 PM
alphared

Fatmat is an alternative. It's cheaper than Dynamat and works the same. Majority of road noise is from the trunk where the rear wheels are and the floor.
I used Fatmat on the entire car, doors, rear speaker area and entire trunk. Still get road noise, but not as bad as before. Even with double layers on the rear wheel wells, I can still hear pebbles knocking.
Removing panels isn't that hard, but some are tricky.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:49 AM
shortcut3d

To reduce road noise you need to do as much of the trunk as possible with Dynamat Extreme. I did two layers. The trunk is really bad because it reverbs and echos the noise.

Then you should cover the doors to reduce noise at freeway speeds. This is a major source of noise at 65mph. Dynamat Extreme is used again.

The next major and probably most effective road noise dampening is under the carpet. Work hard and remove all the factory insulation attached to the floor. Replace with Dynamat Extreme. Make sure you put dynamat extreme back where ever you removed the factory insulation. I left the factory insulation and work Dynamat Extreme around it. Then the big secret step...

Use Dynamat Xtremeliner under all the carpet. It works with Dynamat to specifically reduce road noise. Dynamat is more for vibration dampening not road noise.

I gues you could cut a piece to go under the rear trunk mat. It is not that heavy, but I find that excessive.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzyfella (09-30-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:44 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

not sure if he will yield an answer thread is 11 years old

( ITS WORK anything worthwhile is ) i spent a weekend stripping the car and used a different brand than dynamat

i doubt you will install the amount i did

yes its like night and day difference
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent half a day doing just the trunk and rear wheel wells. One layer of RAAMmat and one layer of Ensolite foam. Next is the bulkhead behind the seats and the front doors.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:22 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzyfella
OMG lol I just saw it was from 2004. That's what I get for using the search engine like everyone says.

I'll definitely be doing this than. Is it hard to remove everything?
haha... search in google and add this to the end of your search, will get better results

whatever you are searching site:my350z.com