driftk1d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
ZettoSan

Originally Posted by driftk1d
pics?
All pics needed are on Page 4 (long path with switches etc.) and Page 5 (short path) of this thread.

I have made this mod this week and everything worked 100% (thanks everyone).

I have chosen the "short path" so (after following all the necessary pointed out steps to remove and disassemble the HU ** thanks liljerk **) here is what i did:

- first i took care of braking with a cutter the 3 "PCB traces" (L-CH + R-CH + A-GND) -- see below pic ** thanks SimonD **

Name:  Bose4.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  14.9 KB

** MAKE SURE TO CHECK WITH A TESTER THAT YOU WERE SUCCESSFULL IN BRAKING THEM BEFORE REASSEMBLING **

- then I just soldered the stereo lead to the 3 soldering spots -- see below pic ** thanks SimonD **

Name:  Bose5.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  20.2 KB

- finally to fool the HU and making it thing there is a tape inserted i simply removed the spring and lever as suggested by tricked04 (see below pic i made that shows how they look like when removed).

2 additional hints:

- before soldering make sure to "pass" the stereo lead thru the back hole of the bottom perforated shield that you removed in order to access the tape unit.

- when plugging-back the HU for the first time after doing the mod the TAPE will start making incredible noises (it seems like it's trying to eat a tape which is just not there...). Don't worry it's normal !! You'll be OK...

Thanks a million to everyone for this mod. It's extra cool!!

Last edited by ZettoSan; 12-01-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 AM
guigui79

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
I did this mod to get the sounds from my car pc.

It is all good but I have to hear the cassette motor ticking all the times, maybe I should've disconnected the power to the motor as well..
It works in disconnected the power to the motor ?
Because it makes a noise, even with modification with interupteur ...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

havent tried it yet.. im too lazy :P
Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
shermdog36

when i try that it gives me a tape err anybody seen that?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
OneRedNSX

Originally Posted by shermdog36
when i try that it gives me a tape err anybody seen that?
I've seen that before... dunno why though
Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
FlashZ

Cool Looking for help wiring Ipod Aux in for 2005 Touring Mod w Bose Cassette and 6 CD

This threat looks useful for what I'm looking to do. However the pictures are missing from the link. Also, has any one done a mod like this on a 2005 system with the Bose Built in 6CD changer and cassette? Like the original writer I have no need for the casset player.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
SimonD

Originally Posted by FlashZ
This threat looks useful for what I'm looking to do. However the pictures are missing from the link. Also, has any one done a mod like this on a 2005 system with the Bose Built in 6CD changer and cassette? Like the original writer I have no need for the casset player.
Sorry mate but the pictures are there in my post (https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=98), the reason I put the post there was because the original pics were missing.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
kroe

Default Tape Err?

I am having a hard time getting this to work. I had it working with case off the head unit, but when I put it back together I keep getting "tape err".

I have taken it apart and put it back together a bunch of times... sometimes I can get it to work while apart, but I haven't had it working while together yet.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how to fix it?

I did the "remove the spring and arm" mod so there is no tape in there.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

press the tape eject button without turning the car on, wait a few seconds then turn the car on.

thats how i get around the tape error issue
Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 AM
kroe

thanks! that worked. I have no idea why pushing the tape eject button with the car off does anything (the tape deck doesn't make any noise when I do so), but I'll take it . Does this tape err problem come back periodically?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 AM
drinkingmymilk

This is an awesome write up, I did this last night to wire in my sirius and it worked great, Thanks a bunch, I can't believe you guys figured this out. I am coming from a Jeep and on the Jeep board homebrew mods are normally stupid **** like wood doors, haha.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks alot for the tutorial! I did this a couple of days ago and it works just like I hoped. Not as difficult to install as i thought. It took about an hour to of my time. (I had taken the center console apart once before. My Z is the 04 European version.)
Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM
pmag

I had this working perfect. I had removed the spring from the tape slot. But the other day I hit the tape eject but for tape and the unit no longer thinks it has a tape in it. Any Idea on how to go the tape unit tran to go back down and think it has a tape?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
pmag

Anybody?? please help
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM
26th letter

Just did this today and was definitely worried i would screw it up but it turned out great. Props to the creative genius who figured this out. definitely a worthwhile quick ipod hookup for little money
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Ouch!

Great tutorial, I've just completed this on my 03 Jap import and it works perfectly.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
SteveZ

Given the BOSE unit has a dealer replacement cost of $2400 USD, in my '04 and a refurbished unit is about $650 USD, I'd just pull the unit before I did this mod, and sell it. It lacks adjustment in output, it just doens't sound that great.

Buy the replacement double-din center console, drop in Infinity Kappa speakers, or get the adapter for 2 ohm OEM speakers, put in a nice HU.

For people out of warranty I would not be surprised if you could sell the existing unit for almost $500 USD, buy the $200 center double DIN which is very well done, includes A/C controls for either '03-'04 or the updated '05 forward style. Apply the rest toward a kickass HU pre-wired for iPod, SAT, and/or for those w/o NAV, drop in a double DIN unit with NAV.

After you've done this "mod" (hack) the BOSE unit has zero resale value, and when it dies (a frequent problem now after 4-5 years nothing to do with this mod), then you have to either suck up the price of new unit, or go the replacement console route as suggested above.

Just pointing out "con" side of the pros/cons of wiring up an AUX input in this manner.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Ouch!

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Given the BOSE unit has a dealer replacement cost of $2400 USD, in my '04 and a refurbished unit is about $650 USD, I'd just pull the unit before I did this mod, and sell it. It lacks adjustment in output, it just doens't sound that great.

Buy the replacement double-din center console, drop in Infinity Kappa speakers, or get the adapter for 2 ohm OEM speakers, put in a nice HU.

For people out of warranty I would not be surprised if you could sell the existing unit for almost $500 USD, buy the $200 center double DIN which is very well done, includes A/C controls for either '03-'04 or the updated '05 forward style. Apply the rest toward a kickass HU pre-wired for iPod, SAT, and/or for those w/o NAV, drop in a double DIN unit with NAV.

After you've done this "mod" (hack) the BOSE unit has zero resale value, and when it dies (a frequent problem now after 4-5 years nothing to do with this mod), then you have to either suck up the price of new unit, or go the replacement console route as suggested above.

Just pointing out "con" side of the pros/cons of wiring up an AUX input in this manner.
Some interesting points there Steve. But for me this mod makes becuase it costs nothing and is completely reversible.

The Bose HU by default does not sound great but the graphic equalizer on my MP3 player improves it no end.

Quick Reply: Make a line/aux in for your 2003 Bose headunit – step by step guide