Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Import 2DIN install (new pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:32 PM
lentronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm lost..I used the translator..how do i buy 1?

Please help me purchase this hu...the japanese site is WAY too confusing..who do I speak to? Can I use a credit card??? I just want to order it!! Does it play your cdr's well?? Any help would be appreciated..Thanks Man.
Lentronic: 30 more days to go till z day!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:48 PM
dchrgrZ

Go to this website. It is pretty straightforward. The model is a Sony WX-7700MDX.

http://www.pricejapan.com/askprice.htm

They should have no problems getting this item since they just ordered it for me recently. It should cost around $600 shipped to your house. It will take anywhere from 5-8 business days upon receipt of your payment. You will have to pay either via Paypal (setup a credit card account there) or wire your money to Union Bank of California. Once you fill out this form, they will correspond with you via e-mail. Use VERY simple English. The people are Japanese locals with only modest English comprehension. That being said, i had no problems with my order whatsoever.

If youwant the EASIER but MORE expensive way, order it from
http://www.melting-pot.com
But you will pay $699 plus $50 shipping. They will provide you with a free FM converter.

YES, it plays CDR/CDRWs.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:53 PM
ICYBLUE1203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehehehe, it looks like 2 cupholders when the HU is turned off.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:22 AM
NissaNZ

5.5V pre-outs, DAAAAAAAAMMMNNNN. That thing is kickin, that's awesome. Does this HU have anything to do with their Mobile ES line of HUs?
Old 11-13-2002, 07:02 AM
dchrgrZ

ICYBLUE1203,

Ha! you're right! Maybe I should leave it like that so thieves will think it IS a cup holder.

NissaNZ,

I've checked their Japanese sight several times and they don't seem to distinguish their ES line for their car audio any more. In fact, this may be true for their US line as well. That being said, this unit seems to have the best SPECs of just about all their current units. In fact, the only ones that cost more are the MEX-5DI (color screen) and the MEX-1HD (HD MP3) models.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 AM
lentronic

Question why you think hu is worth 600

dchrgrz,
Explain briefly how you justify 600 beans for a head unit? What are the advantages of 5.5 v pre-outs? I love a good system but I'm far from an expert...The color change is cool but 700 some colors when all I want is orange..no big deal..I hope that isn't why its so expensive... Well I'm gonna go browsing thru the local shop and see what's out there...My ideal system would utilize the stock nav. system monitor for dvd,tv tuner,rear camera,great hu that pumps out 50x4 for fronts and rear..probably boston acoustics, topped off with 10' infinte perfect sub powered by someting in the 200 watt area.. I just want to know how this head unit blows away the competitors..
Thanks man,
Lentronic
Old 11-13-2002, 08:31 AM
DiverDown

I never, and I mean never, listen to the radio anyway, so it wouldn't bother me if the tuner section didn't work anyway.

I am the exact same way....BUT, have you given XM or Sirius sat. systems a try????

I had one installed in my truck about 5 months ago in a new Alpine HU and still haven't even programmed any of the FM presets. I listen to XM or CD's. That's all. I highly recommend it. Also, you could mount the XM or Sirius reciever unit almost anywhere as they are very slim.

Planning on installing one in the Z very, very soon.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:42 AM
dchrgrZ

Default Why I think the unit is worth $600.

Again, what I really wanted for my Z was something that not only looked good but also had the performance and features I was looking for.

Looks
- The ability to match the color perfectly is too cool for words
- The double circle design is almost made for the interior of the Z
- Double-Din. I wanted a single unit that would fit. If I went with a single, I would have bought an in-dash CD changer. I don't like holes up front or big empty spaces.
- Uniqueness...very very few people have this unit here in the U.S. Though, after this thread....?

Performance & Features
- The 5.5V pre-out allows you to have a cleaner sound going to your Amplifier. There are better, of course. Mcintosh, Eclipse, etc... offer 8V units. Those units will cost well over $600
- Minidisc. While this technology is not very popular in the U.S., it's great for having portability without sacrificing the sound of your music like MP3s. The small size of the media also allows me to carry lots of discs around.
- Subwoofer line out with adjustable high and low pass crossovers. This allows me to tune my music exactly how I want. Also, the 7 band customizable EQ works well too.
- Aux inputs for my other sources: iPod, iBook computer (which plays DVDs), etc....
- Provides control for my CD changer in the back.

Anyway, those are the things that separated this unit from others. Obviously, everyone's needs are different. This unit just works well for my needs as a balance between looks, performance, features, and yes (even at $600 delivered) price. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:52 PM
lentronic

Default Thanks dchrgrz

Thank you so much for your info..I love the look of the unit and its features! I'm very tempted..did you see the new panasonic hu with color lcd..sweeeeeet but 750!
Old 11-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Stone Z

Question

Will the generic aftermarket wiring harnesses match up with this HU?
Old 11-14-2002, 07:12 AM
dchrgrZ

I don't see why not. According to the installers, the unit used standard connections/color coding for everything. Along with the dynamat, I did add better wires throughout, tho.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:04 AM
gwgjr28

Congrats on the instal. It looks great! How are the ergonomics for this head unit. Is it easy to use while driving. It's a very unique looking head unit and it's difficult to tell from the pictures how everything works. Also, how many aux. inputs are there? Finally will it control Sony CD/DVD changers?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Stone Z

Lightbulb

Originally posted by DiverDown
I am the exact same way....BUT, have you given XM or Sirius sat. systems a try????

I had one installed in my truck about 5 months ago in a new Alpine HU and still haven't even programmed any of the FM presets. I listen to XM or CD's. That's all. I highly recommend it. Also, you could mount the XM or Sirius reciever unit almost anywhere as they are very slim.

Planning on installing one in the Z very, very soon.

Even though I'm very interested in XM/Sirus I don't like the idea of having to install an additional XM or Sirus receiver to this particular head unit. I don't think it comes XM or Sirus ready.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 AM
dchrgrZ

Dlovtsur,

You're right about that. The Alpine unit I had installed fits between the antenna and head unit connection. It's not really a big deal to me since I can't use this unit for FM anyway. Therefore, I just hit source and the default setting (89.7) is already tuned to XM. If I turn off the XM unit, I can tune to regular AM radio stations. XM ready units would not require the additional control unit, just the XM tuner box and antenna.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:37 PM
MacGuru

Hey dchrgrZ
The iPod I can totally see, very cool. but what advantage do you get from hooking up your iBook? Do you have factory or after market nav? Are you playing DVDs through your computer? You said "- Aux inputs for my other sources: iPod, iBook computer (which plays DVDs)"

Actually, I'm interested in hooking up a computer to the ECU and see what can been done to tweek the system. Anybody know where I should begin? What kind of software is avaiable? How expensive? How dificult is the learning curve? I'm sure it's windows based, but that's ok.

Thanks in advance. -m
Old 11-14-2002, 04:51 PM
dchrgrZ

Yeah, you can totally hook up any laptop with DVD capability via headphone jack or AV to RCA cable. No nav at all. Just something for my wife to watch or me to listen to. We can also park it and watch it on the iBook screen and still get good sound.

Last edited by dchrgrZ; 11-14-2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:46 AM
gwgjr28

dchrgrz,
Congrats on the instal. It looks great! How are the ergonomics for this head unit. Is it easy to use while driving. It's a very unique looking head unit and it's difficult to tell from the pictures how everything works. Also, how many aux. inputs are there? Finally will it control Sony CD/DVD changers?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:32 AM
dchrgrZ

gwgjr28,

Thanks. Ergonomics are great. You are, however, required to use the remote for setting color, EQ, titling, etc... The main head unit is set-up only for volume control, track/channel selection, Disc selection, and source & mode controls. There is one AUX for another device in addition to the changer. Yes, it will control a CD changer but not a DVD changer, according to the installation manual.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:34 AM
Stone Z

Question

Could you post a picture of the remote?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:39 PM
BRICKS Z

Default GREAT INFO

I JUST ORDERED MINE THE MORE EXPENSIVE WAY BUT I GUESS THE CONVERTER..FM AND ENGLISH FOR ME WERE worth it sorry about the caps. mine came to $749.99 including everything hope the local guys know what to do with it. what was used for the trim plate??????
please get back to me
ps we know it looks great how does it sound??

craig aka
BRICKS Z

PSSbye the way am going to use MB quartzs speakers any comment there??

Last edited by BRICKS Z; 11-15-2002 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Import 2DIN install (new pics!)