Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Done! - Installed OEM Sirius Sat in 05 ZR

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
stinkboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill have to go to the dealer and see if i can talk to the guy that does the satellite installs. have a little chat with him/her to see if i have the prewired harness or not and if they want an side job to do the install. my installer will do it but i prefer someone that has dealt with the unit rather than my audio shop which sometimes is all thumbs with new cars that they havent worked on a whole lot.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 AM
lamaz

Originally Posted by stinkboy
ill have to go to the dealer and see if i can talk to the guy that does the satellite installs. have a little chat with him/her to see if i have the prewired harness or not and if they want an side job to do the install. my installer will do it but i prefer someone that has dealt with the unit rather than my audio shop which sometimes is all thumbs with new cars that they havent worked on a whole lot.
Any updates on this?

-LamaZ
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 AM
stinkboy

if nissan says it wont work then the dealer wont install it. nissan says no to satellite on a roadster. so i can buy all the stuff from the dealer and have an audio shop install it for me. ive already contacted the audio shop that did custom work on my bimmer and they will do it no problem. i just have to bring them all the stuff, ie receiver, antenna, and wiring harness. i found no harness in the trunk area so i assume i dont have one. although this could change when the headunit is removed but im thinking it doesnt have one at this point.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
lamaz

if nissan says it wont work then the dealer wont install it. nissan says no to satellite on a roadster. so i can buy all the stuff from the dealer and have an audio shop install it for me. ive already contacted the audio shop that did custom work on my bimmer and they will do it no problem. i just have to bring them all the stuff, ie receiver, antenna, and wiring harness. i found no harness in the trunk area so i assume i dont have one. although this could change when the headunit is removed but im thinking it doesnt have one at this point.
Why would they include
Originally Posted by Nissan
Satellite radio pre-wiring
as part of the features that come with the car if they new it wouldn't work? If it is pre-wired, what exactly do I need to purchase besides the antenna and service contract?

-LamaZ
Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
stinkboy

prewired means that the headunit ie the stock upgraded bose can handle an input from a satellite receiver and can display info lines and that they have already put the wiring harness in the car and located it in the trunk where they want the satellite receiver mounted. thats all that means. my bmw was prewired and had a location to mount the satellite receiver but didnt mean i had satellite. i had to buy the receiver, an antenna and an installation kit for the bmw. then pay them to install the damn thing. that was 750 for the bmw.

for the Z, it means the upgraded bose system has a headunit that is capable if you buy the satellite receiver and antenna. the coupe has the prewire to the trunk and and some roadsters have it but most dont. why because why put a wire for something they dont want you to install because there is no reliable location for the antenna. every instructions i have found want you to put the antenna 6" up on the roof above the rear window. the roadster doesnt qualify and since they feel there is no other reliable location and dont want customers *****ing that the signal sucks they just say they wont install satellite on a roadster.

now i love my sirius and have even used an adapter to change my surburban's xm to sirius. so instead of testing and guessing if the expensive oem satellite would work i went and bought a 50 dollar wireless fm sirius car package made by xact from circuit city. now ive heard bad things about the quality of fm modulation and worst things about the wireless fm modulation. so i figured 50 bucks was worth it to find out. all went well today and the location of the sirius receiver/disply i put in the area where there should be a navi. for me its a storage compartment and it fit well in there and i can close the door on it as well. i put the antenna in the center of the dash by the windshield right behind the three gauges. i tested a couple fm signals that are not used locally and call to subscribe to sirius. it turned out alot better than i had thought. the sound is pretty damn good and at this time is acceptable to me since the bose system isnt that great any way. now this is with the top up and not down. ill give updates if i have any issues with it but for 50 bucks and two wires slightly exposed since antenna and power wires go into that storage area.

here is the one at circuit city that i bought:http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Xact-...oductDetail.do
Old 11-09-2005, 09:36 AM
lamaz

Default Sirius Satellite Radio Windshield Mount Antenna

Does anybody have this?:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...Category_Code=

Sirius Satellite Radio Windshield Mount Antenna
Code: SPW1
Price:$69.99

Shipping Weight: 1.00 pounds

I found it on Grubbs, it could be conceivably attached to the rear wind deflector...what do you guys think?

Now, the only conflicting info that I am getting from this thread is that some say that I need the PAC kit, and other's say that I need the pre-harness. Is it both or just one if my car is "prewired"? Also, I take it that the roadsters that are pre-wired...nobody knows where the darn kit leads back to. In the coupes the extender wire harness goes to the back of the car, where they want you to install the SAT receiver.

ThankZ,

-One Confused LamaZ
Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 AM
stinkboy

i believe the pac kit is necessary for the non pre-wired or in some cases head unit that were not built to have satellite at all. i mean nissan makes a headunit that is not setup for satellite because people in this thread have mentioned you have to have a radio button which comes on the upgrade bose system.

as for you location of the antenna, i doubt that will work. it doesnt get enough exposure to the sky. i put my antenna in that area with the top down and the signal sucked. like i said the area in the center of the dash right behind the three gauges is a good location and doesnt look that bad if you can hide the wire. right now i havent had time to hide the wire or try to. im sure an install with knowledge could easily as ive talked to mine but that was when i was doing the oem install. since i went the cheap route it was easier for me to just install the thing and figure out where everything should go.

so far reception in extremely heavy fog was moderate to ok. after it burned off the signal is very strong and ive had no issues with a sunny sky. i would say ill update when it rains but this is a pretty day car and not a daily driver.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
lamaz

as for you location of the antenna, i doubt that will work. it doesnt get enough exposure to the sky. i put my antenna in that area with the top down and the signal sucked.
First of all, thanks for the replys. The fact that you get bad reception with the top down sounds very strange because other members on this forum have claimed that reception is good with the antenna installed hidden in the GPS antenna location underneath the 3 gauges.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the technology. XM and Sirius use different technologies. I am guessing that one doesn't penetrate objects as well as the other. Another person had stated that possibly location has to do with it. Where some parts of the country get good reception no matter where the antenna is. I wonder if this is year round? Maybe the satellites move and you get better reception during some parts of the year.

Do you XM or Sirius stinkboy?

-LamaZ
Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
stinkboy

first ? sirius
second? yes xm and sirius use different frequencies
third? reception. i might have misread your post but i was assuming you were putting the antenna on that plastic glass with the Z emblem blazed on it or in that area. the top down kills the area that the antenna gets from the sky. the antenna has to be in an open area to the sky. the gps location is in the front dash to the right of the wheel and is in a fairly open area to the sky with the top down. i dont doubt if you put an antenna in there using the higher quality oem equipment that it would work. however the aftermarket antenna that come as a kit are about half the size of oem antenna's.

i have an oem sirius setup in my bmw and i have a pretty large mouse antenna and i only lose the signal if im under an overpass stalled on the interstate due to traffic. now i put an aftermarket kenwood sirius unit in the surburban with a soundgate adapter to change from xm (gm product) to sirius and that kit came with a little bitty antenna and that vehicle loses the signal more easily. so what you can take from that is car manufacturers to limit any complaining from customers are using a higher quality antenna and they dictate the location of said antenna. in the aftermarket segment, well they dont care because the store or installer is liable and they are trying to sell cheaper units for mass sales. i mean the antenna's work but are subject to a higher signal loss due to selling an inferior product. i mean even the cable attached to the antenna in an aftermarket unit is half the thickness.

as far as the antenna you have posted about it looks of a higher quality and usually when you purchase an antenna separately you get a higher quality antenna. its just those car kits where you get all the stuff in one box use inferior antenna's. i am currently using one of those cheap kits in the Z and im pretty happy with the signal. i do expect to have signal loss more often than in my bmw just like the surburban has.

but in case i lost you, using an oem antenna and oem setup will give you the best overall signal and quality. they are match properly by nissan or whoever the car manufacturer is. the issue is the location only works on the coupe and not the roadster which is why nissan wont install it because their is apparantly for them no reliable location. which is just rediculous because even the corvette with the same style top and cover has xm and a good location and they paint it the color of the car. i know because i had a vette for a day until the wife got upset and i later chose a less expensive Z.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:46 AM
netminder32

I have a 35th Anniv w/o the nav...but I do have the Bose...
How hard is it to install the OEM Sirius receiver?

Where is the best place to get the reciever?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 AM
netminder32

Anyone?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 AM
nissan350zfan

netminder,

I purchased my setup from Grubbs Infiniti - see my initial post in this thread.

The install took my local installer about 3 hours total. thats for the prewire, the antenna in the GPS antenna location(requres disassembly of drivers side dash) the receiver on the upper passenger side footwell and plenty of plastic ties and foam tape to hold the cabling firm and ensure no rattles.

I could have done this myself, but I was concerned about breaking off plastic clips or tabs on the trim pieces. My installer had done a number of these in the past, so he knew exactly which ones required a good pull as opposed to those that required a tool or a screw driver to position the fastner before pulling it out. IMO the $100 I spent was money well spent.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Kaitain

Originally Posted by topdown-z
Sat ready means that all you have to do is subscribe to the Sirius service.
Wrong. Satellite "ready" means it is capable of controlling an optional satellite radio receiver. I'll agree it is very poor wording by some lame marketing jerks but you need to make sure you aren't misleading people.

Here's the proof:

Notice how it says, "Sat Radio Ready"? Well this is my head unit and since I had to buy a Sir-Alp1 to hook up to it to get Sirius I'm fairly certain I know what I'm talking about.

You could also go to Crutchfield, fill in your car info, select car radios, and then select "Satellite Radio Ready".

---<edit>---

Wow, I just finished reading your posts topdown-z and you are clearly seriously misinformed (ha,ha you said Sirius). It's fine to be wrong but you need to learn to admit it and move on, not be suck a d1ck.

If you own a shop that installs these, which I highly doubt, you REALLY need to be more informed.

Originally Posted by topdown-z
There is no way in hell that you can directly plug in a Sirius Sat Receiver in the back of an OEM Bose
Again you're showing your ignorance; which in and of itself isn't a bad thing you just do it in such a rude manner.

If you go look at the Sir-XXX units, take it apart, you'll see that all of them have the exact same receiver but they have different hardware interfaces in the front.

So your comment about hooking up a receiver without an interface is a bit silly. Of course there has to be an interface. It's like you said, "You can't possible drive a car because your wheels are way too hard to turn by hand. You would have to have some kind of interface between you and your hands." Well duh.

But I guess you already know how wrong you are since you haven't bothered to reply to this post since you were Pwn'd by Nissan350zfan. It would be nice if you came back and appologized for being a prig and admitted not only were you wrong but you were an a-hole to boot. We could all forget about how much of a d1ck you were and just have a good laugh knowing that we all have been that wrong while simultaniously "knowing" we were dead right.

Last edited by Kaitain; 11-28-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Snowman175

just a heads up guys I battled with Nissan about this in my 06 GT they said no harness. I kept at it, so I purchased the OEM Sirius Sat kit and Antena for $290 buck. he funny part is that Grubs told me that the harness was on the passenger side and if i did not find it there in the trunk that it would be behind the rear pass. speaker. Needless to say I took apart the inside and was fustrated not to find the harness like the tech Bullitin that Grubs sent me said, I called them back and they told me that my 06 coupe must not have been wired. So I called MyNissanparts.com and told them that I would need to return the OEM kit bacsue the harness was not there, they laughed and told me that for 06 Nissan did not update the tech bullitin and that the harness was on the Driver side, in the truck space, under the Bose AMP. I went took apart a few more pieces and it was there! 30 min later I was done. Let me know if you want to see some pics I was thinking of doing a DIY write up.

So it is true that all bose equiped 06 coups are wired, it just hidden and Nissan does not want you to find it. BTW I called the 1-800 number for Nissan a few weeks back to ask them because my dealer told me that my car was not wired. I gave the folks at Nissan my VIN number they checked the BOM for the car and came back saying that it was not wired.

so HQ is just as screwed up as the local dealers.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM
GT350Z2006

Please post a DIY posting with pictures, also would you know if the 2006 GTR 350Z has the correct radio? I have the Bose system if not the harness maybe the radio with a spot for the harness.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
jbh1

OK,
I am bringing this thread back to life. I am very interested if anyone has recently done the install on a roadster with success. Is everyone still buying the equipment from Grubbs? I have a 2006 roadster with the bose 6 disk radio. I asked my dealer about price for install and he checked and came back and said it can't be done in a roadster. However since this thread seems to prove he is incorrect I would like to try it out. I want to have the stock look and I am not interested in an aftermarket external satellite radio but I want to have the stock setup where the steering wheel controls will work the satellite radio.

Anyone?????

Last edited by jbh1; 10-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM
anicotra

I too am resurrecting this thread, because I would like to know if the "Sat Ready Input" or what ever we're calling on the Bose Head Unit with the Radio Button, can be used for something other than an actual Sat radio. Like a means of direct connecting a bluetooth receiver to the Bose Head Unit and accessing it with the radio button via the S1 or S2 selection.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 AM
DJK

Originally Posted by Snowman175
jLet me know if you want to see some pics I was thinking of doing a DIY write up.
bump/resurrect for these pictures/diy
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bump.. anyone have some recent luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 AM
anicotra

Originally Posted by anicotra
I too am resurrecting this thread, because I would like to know if the "Sat Ready Input" or what ever we're calling on the Bose Head Unit with the Radio Button, can be used for something other than an actual Sat radio. Like a means of direct connecting a bluetooth receiver to the Bose Head Unit and accessing it with the radio button via the S1 or S2 selection.
I installed a pac-nai kit on my 05 roadster. My bose unit had the radio button. Once the PAC-nai was installed, I had a sat 1 & 2 input.

For Bluetooth, I installed a Kensington liquidAUX, direct connect into the sat 1 input. Everything sounds great.