Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

13w7 in a Z? GQ crazy style with some class :) pics :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
1G-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW WOW WOW..... Custom yet Clean.... Love it..

Now all you have to do is run intake tubes from your 13" W7 to your VQ get a fuel regulator, now you've got some boost!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:51 AM
GQ 350z

Thanks ROB!!!!! hahaha, I'll have to go FI much sooner than I thought. The bug is hitting me...HARD.

ravi
Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's insane! You actually have quite a bit of trunk left though considering the Z can't handle anything big or bulky. You could still fit a lot of groceries in there!
Did you use all of your edeadV3 yet?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:58 AM
GQ 350z

I used probably half the can in the hatch area. The rest I'm going to use to dampen the doors--since my speakers are in the kicks, the associated rattles may not be present so we'll wait and see.

Can't wait to hear the beast =)

ravi
Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM
JimRHIT

Good work Ravi and Bing ... I am not sure if I like the look of it (not saying it is bad, but rather not my taste), but I definitely give props on some creativity in the install.

Subs sound the same inverted vs. regular, the only audible difference "could"
be the pole vent making noise. JL designed the W7 well enough that this is a complete non-issue.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
GQ 350z

Thanks bro! ahah the install really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. All my friends that have seen it love it and lots of gasps/ooohs/ahhs...

I actually polished up the aluminum on the magnet, and cleaned it up a little bit. I'll have a lot more high res shots later on once everything is wired and complete.

peace!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
JimRHIT

How did you polish the backplate? The 12W7 I have sitting next to me has a machine-finished steel backplate ... which I guess could be polished .... but not easily. Granted, this is a much older original 12W7 ... so things may have changed.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
B-Unit

NIce man, thats gonna be loud!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just roughly hooked up the system...

with sub amp on 1/4" turn up, and the bass control ont he HU at -4 at 1/2 volume on bass songs, its already shaking the rear view mirror so much that it refuses to stay in one location lol...in one bass note, it would go from highest level down to the lowest...

setting will with the amp on 1/2 up, and uh...sheesh lol

b
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
GQ 350z

*Sighs...so much bass I don't know what to do with it LOL I can't wait to hear it bro!

BTW I basically called JL (since my aluminum backplate was kinda dirty) and took varying sand paper values and mother's aluminum polish to give it a shine. Pretty nice result.

Brian, it should be! hahaha did you get your recaros yet? I gotta talk to you about them...

ravi
Old 03-07-2006, 04:28 PM
vantage350z

Ravi, Your system is sick! Good work bing. Let me know if your planning any road trips to new york, I gotta hear that 13W7.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i am surprised you didnt hear when i was blasting it just now lol
Old 03-08-2006, 04:09 AM
bjr

I heard it But I couldn't tell how it sounded
COuld you tell by your first test what it's going to sound like? I read a rather negative review on it yesterday. Someone badmouthing it about being strictly for SPL no quality at all, etc. Hope that's not true for Ravi's sake!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

how did someone review it with out hearing it?

and how is anyone using DLS ultimate spekares in kick panels going for SPL? if we were going for spl, you would see a 4th order bandpass box taking up the entire back with 4000 watts burping it lol...

i will say this, of course, this sub is capable of overwhelming the rest of hte system past a certain level, but, that level is at a vERY high volume, and as long as the sound is balanced, ie, not turning up the sub too high, it should sound pretty good

if you want to link me to that "review" hehe cuase i know for a fact no one has heard it except me

b
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 AM
GQ 350z

B, I think he meant the 13w7 in general.

Anyway--I'll say this: I am by no means new to car audio and have PERSONALLY owned practically every "uber woofer" in current car audio whether the company is mainstream or not.

One thing I have learned (after now owning every W7 size available) is that this is one very very sensitive speaker. Most of the reviews online are done by babbling idiots that just repeat information that they may have heard.

In some occassions I feel like they validate their "cheaper" purchases because they for whatever reason did not or could not afford the 13w7 which IMHO and many others' is the current car audio benchmark as far as SQ goes. This sub was designed to be EXTREMELY accurate--its insane output is a side effect of a great design. Not to mention NO sub I've ever owned extends lower than the W7 series--that anyone will admit ..even my 15" RE XXX fell short and that was being sent 1600 watts RMS!!!!

Usually people say the W7 sound like crap--I want to wager that they either
A) Did not have a solid front stage
B) Did not install properly
C) Did not follow JL specs

C is the most important, followed by A and B. I've never seen such a touchy woofer in my life. If the box isn't 100% right, the SQ suffers. We went sealed, and exactly followed JL specs.

Thanks for the concerns, but I can assure you there will be no issues as far as SQ is concerned. And as far as SPL is concerned--forget about it. No one in a Z (as far as I know) can touch me right now (not really something I care about).

Take it easy and I hope this helps bro!
Respect..

ravi
Old 03-08-2006, 07:19 AM
JimRHIT

I repeat what was said above.

Installed properly, any of JL's W7 series of woofers has the ability to wow even the most critical of listeners, however, the opposite is true .. a poor istall makes these sound like overweight funky pups Seriously though, these are very installation sensitve, in that they are such an optomized woofer ... a leaky box, poor tuning, or underpowering will lead to poor performance.

I am confident you couldn't tell the difference between this and a triplet of 8W7s if you tried (until it get LOUD).

Jim (an honest JL hater, but respects W6v2 and W7 series)
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 AM
bjr

Yikes! You thought I meant they reveiwed your INSTALL? And I was joking with the last post that I could hear it all the way over here in Indiana when you tried it ( I think you got that one). I haven't literllay heard it yet (or will ever get to I regret).
Sorry, I meant someone reviewed that sub...
http://www.epinions.com/content_136725827204

I just read it again and I'll have to admit that the reviewer did admit that the sub sounded relatively clean and powerful until pushed but still lacked detail. You'll see that he spent a lot of time bashing it for one reason or another. One point he made was price vs. everything else and doing much more good with 2 smaller subs,etc. But that does not make sense for the Z and what you are doing here. I ignored all of that. And I saw the posts on the kickpanels and love them. I have CDT's in my door panels and am impressed by just sticking them in the stock location. I can't imagine how great Ravi's sound with the advantage of testing different speakers in there and engineering them into the car to sound correct. And I am sure that like you said it will be blended properly into the system. I know you do great work. If the detail is not there though it is not there.
I should have just asked "how did it sound even though it isn't completely done?"
Good luck with the rest of it!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:26 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hehe i got the joke about hearing it in indiana of course, but whe you said "it" i didnt know off hand that you mean the sub only hhehe

all well said above...i think it applies to almost all product, it comes down to install and tuning

b
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 AM
GQ 350z

Originally Posted by JimRHIT

Jim (an honest JL hater, but respects W6v2 and W7 series)
LOL I know exactly where you are coming from! I had to fight myself to get this but I'm happy. Us XBL ****** need to stick together
Bjr, no offense taken whatsoever--I love talkin about this stuff...and I'm sure your CDT's sound awesome too (I was actually going to buy the Elemental components which are retuned CDT's)...

Thanks--I've gotta admit its nice to have so many audio heads on our Z forum.

regards,
ravi
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
JimRHIT

I wouldn't say I am an XBL^2 ***** .... I am more likely to ***** whatever I get for free

.... and JL has never hooked me up those rat bastards! LOL

Quick Reply: 13w7 in a Z? GQ crazy style with some class :) pics :)