Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Encores System

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:53 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DITTO DITTO DITTO.

Its always best to have it than not have it. I am overkilling with the 3 farad plus the Yellow top but better safe than sorry.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Encore

Jesus man. You hit harder w/ the windows down. If You were to compete like that it would be considered outlaw SPL. The speakers can move more air because they can move more freely because they dont have pressure of a sealed up car on top of them. Ive been doing car audio for 17yrs. I had a system before I could drive. Ive been paying the bills w/ it for 12yrs. Ive ran my own store for 4yrs. I think that gives me enough experiance to know what Im doing and what Im talking about. Blow the dust off your subs because they are the old ones, and mine are the new ones. Not that it matters. I can take a pic showing you my subs are dual 2 ohms, but I can not prove SPL. I have a B&K DB meter, but I could calibrate it to say 160db if I wanted to so that wouldnt prove jack. I hope we dont have any hard feelings in between us, but its starting to get under my skin you calling me a BSer. Go to the rockford sight, and check out the new stuff. I really hit 220.2 DB with the HX5's dual 9ohms. Now your right when you call me out, happy? Lets drop it and make up. New pics coming
Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 PM
djkern
Banned

if you can hit 160Db that's pretty sick. i was in a competition car 2 weeks ago with HEUGE (or was it 3 weeks ago?? can't remember)....and, it was enough to make my ears bleed (it was the world champoin in SPL either currently or it was last years). but, every single car that was entering the competition was getting their cars read with the meter inside the car....with all the windows up. what's the difference? all the shows i've been to have the cars getting read with their windows up. i've never seen a competition where they had the cars read with the windows down. also, the world champion car for SQL was there (he's been the champion for 3 years...one of the head judges for many other worldwide competitions for years as well). he's been in over 70 magazines in 7 countries....the car was sick! i wish i had my camera. it wasn't the fact that it was loud....that it was....but the quality was amazing! i've never heard anything that that before. but, the other car that hit 160db...well, that car was pretty sick too. only had 2 13w7's....but it had 10K watts running everything in the car. wow it was loud!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Encore

The space shuttle launch pad is about 170db. Can you belive some people have that in there cars. We have done a couple of cars that hit the upper 150's, but havent got in the 160's yet. We dont do many SPL systems. I saw a guy hit a 162 w/ 4 15's playing the theme from Flash Dance. Was the car you saw Gary Biggs Monte Carlo? If it was you are very correct it sounds unbelievalbe. I took a class from him at MERA in Memphis. He is a very cool guy. He use to work for Kicker, but now works for JBL. I dont compete, but in Outlaw SPL you can roll the windows down. You can even place the mic in a port if you like, or even let the speaker bang it around. Cars have a sweet spot for SPL, and most of the time its not on the dash. The reason they do that in standard SPL measuring is to kind of equal everyone out.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:49 AM
djkern
Banned

i don't rememeber who had the car that hit 160db. the car was relatively old...and the whole back seat was turned into a sub enclosure. the back windows were totally black so you couldn't see in...but, when you opened the door you could see all the wood and whatnot. looked pretty crummy when you opened the rear door....but was loud as anything! the rest (the trunk and the inside set up in the dash was good though.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:10 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Encore,

Sorry about the mixup with the subwoofer. I was so pissed when I found out, mine was last years model.

Well, I took the sub back and the manager who sold me the sub, said at the time that was all he had in stock, and he even said he gave me a discount of $50 off the regular price. But the funny thing was, they had the new ones on display.

He suckered me into moving his old stuff, without telling me.
Is that legal.

But, he didn't bother to tell me it was last years model.

Can stereo shops do that type of crap?

He said its the same sub, but a different dust cap.

I was so pissed, he wouldn't even give me money back or an in store credit.

He said he would send it back to Rockford and they would send me the new sub.

What a bunch of crap. So now I am subless until I get the new one in from Rockford.

Well one thing is for sure, that shop was going to do my fiberglass enclosure in my tire well, but I guess not now.

Just thought I would vent, LOL
Old 09-17-2003, 03:34 PM
travelmadness

Originally posted by zand02max
and your point is?

He said I had last years sub, so I wanted to show him, is there a problem?
no point, i'm just messing around. your set up looks good. sorry to hear you're not getting the bass you expected.

= >
Old 09-17-2003, 07:07 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Originally posted by djkern
i don't rememeber who had the car that hit 160db. the car was relatively old...and the whole back seat was turned into a sub enclosure. the back windows were totally black so you couldn't see in...but, when you opened the door you could see all the wood and whatnot. looked pretty crummy when you opened the rear door....but was loud as anything! the rest (the trunk and the inside set up in the dash was good though.
Unfortunately I had loaned my camera out that same weekend, but it was definitely fun visiting Slapshow.

The two cars that I was fortunate to demo were the following

Kelly Knowles (I think that's his name) brought his Grand Am (Prix?) designed for SP and SQ. He had removed his rear seats, instead installing a subwoofer system that filled the entire rear of the car, top to bottom. The trunk was lined with five amplifiers (I think), and rows of 16Volt Batteries. He was kind enough to explain that he had these batteries on a separate charger, and that by their design they behaved more like a capacitor than a lead-acid battery. First he demoed SQ, and I have to say that this was fantastic. I believe (could be wrong since it was a while ago) that he had MB Quart components with the tweeters (silk) mounted on the sails. With the Bass on low, this was my favorite sounding car of the day. When he put the Bass up to demonstrate the system, a huge rush of air came flying by your head on every low note. By the Fifth Element CD that I brought, we were able to trip his breakers twice (tracks 14 and 15). This was not the prettiest install, but it was the best sounding install. Kelly's other car is an EVO. He's also a technology geek like myself, so it's all good.

The second car was Mike Galligan's Civic. Mike was running the NorthEast SlapShow Finals, but his car was a work of art. The entire installation was touch-screen computer-controlled, and motors kept the entire installation stealth. I believe that he won IASCA two-years in a row for his class. Mike was a fantastic guy explaining all of the elements of his system and many of reasons why he built his system up. For installation, it is fantastic, and there is no way that I would ever go to such lengths for my car stereo, but it definitely worked for him since his goal was to win the nationals. While people may slam me, I didn't like the sound in his car. The soundstage (yes, yes a term I am not really qualified to fling about in posts) just didn't sound right to me. It could be that I am just used to high-mounted tweeters from my Z (and Kelly's) vs the kickpanel ones that he had, but it didn't have the clarity at low to mid volume as Kelly's car.

All I can say is that all the guys there were great. I went cheap with my components this time around, but now I know that power can more easily get great sound without causing the ears to bleed.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

nice job encore,

I like the RF symbol in between the subs,

Do you have any problems with your rear windshield wiper vibrating like crazy.

I have no rattling due to my dynamat, but the winshield wiper is a pain.

I am getting (3) 12" HX2's in a fiberglass enclosure in my tire well this week, I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Encore

I dont have any problems in the rear w/ vibration. In the front my "sunglass holder", rear veiw mirror, and keys ratlle. In the opening seen to Episode II my steering wheel moves about 1/2 in. So some rattleing is expected. I still have to complete my big amp cover board (just temp in pic), and dash kit. Then I will go back, and fine tune the system, and fix any bugs such as rattles.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:37 PM
reallyredZ

Very nice job. Very impressed.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Fadikine

Wow thats all I have to say. Looks awsome. Do you ahve a EQ hooked up too I imagine.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:44 PM
supra crazy

Nice install how much did all of that cost you and is that a center speaker monted inside your dash!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Encore

I got my wiring for free, the rockford stuff I got at 25% below cost, and the moniter I got at 10% below cost. I did all the work myself so labor was $0.00. Ive got about $1800 in everything. Keep in mind retail on my head unit is $1400.00. So I got everything at a steal. Yes that is a center channel. One of these days Ill finish her up.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:03 AM
ECKZLNT

Is that paint you used on the sub enclosures? If so, what kind is it, if not, what did you use?
It looks very good, so I thought I would ask.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:14 AM
Encore

Yes. Its SEM textured paint. I went back and lightly sanded the paint with 320 grit to get the textured bumps out so it matches the factory plastics texture, and color about as good as you can get. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Encore

Alot of people at Z-DAYZ asked me about my system, so I thought I would bring it back up for the guys who were interested could check out.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Z Shadow

Encore nice job and the updates with explanations were key for a novice to understand what you were talking about.

1 question, back when you were doing this project you mentioned the fact that you were suprised no one has put an 8in woofer in the trunk area next to the spare tire. What kind of sub would work best or do you think its even feasible. If i were to put a sub in that was where I'd like to put one. I'm not looking to create thunder, just some good bass dimension. Any direction would be appreciated

Thanks in advanced
Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Encore

Originally Posted by Z Shadow
Encore nice job and the updates with explanations were key for a novice to understand what you were talking about.

1 question, back when you were doing this project you mentioned the fact that you were suprised no one has put an 8in woofer in the trunk area next to the spare tire. What kind of sub would work best or do you think its even feasible. If i were to put a sub in that was where I'd like to put one. I'm not looking to create thunder, just some good bass dimension. Any direction would be appreciated

Thanks in advanced
Yes it is very possible. You want be waking up the block, but it would produce good sound. As far as brand I say brand smand. Any of your upper name brands would work fine as long as you didnt go crazy with the depth. Any of your local installers that fiberglass should have no problem building your enclosure. If you fill brave enough to take it on yourself I would be glad to talk you through it. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
nissan_fanatic

Encore,
What's up man, it's Brandon. I had a blast meeting you and checking our your system. Thanks for making me want more audio stuff now, thanks a lot.

Everyone 5.1 sounds so good, I was amazed. His system sounds absolutely incredible and he did a fantastic job on the install.
You told them about the DEI mod right that was awesome. I really want one of those for my car too.
Well keep in touch we got to get together again and hang out. We need to have a cookout or something and invite Robin & melissa, and Shane and if I wasn't so sh!tty with names I would remember the other dudes name we hang out with.

Quick Reply: Encores System