Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

My Install...

Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
WPPJR30

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My Install...

I thought I would share a few pictures of my stereo install. My main goal was a clean, custom system that sounds good (I don't need bass that will break windows or wake the neighborhood). I think I have succeeded in that department, as this system sounds clear and crisp. I am satisfied...

I wanted a completely custom dash. I wanted something that I haven't seen on too many Z's: a Single-DIN headunit and a 9" flush-mounted monitor. This headunit is the Alpine DVA 9860.

I chose to go with three JL Audio 8W3's for the subwoofers. I chose 8" subs, because, as I said before, I was aiming at sound quality. I think the three smaller subwoofers sound great. The custom enclosure that was built is also color-matched to the exterior.

The spare tire was removed for the sub box, so in its place a little storage area was fabricated and lined with black carpet to match the rest of the interior. When the 'Z' carpet is in place, this little compartment can't be seen...

An amplifier rack was built as well. It houses a 500/1 to run the subs and a 300/4 to run the speakers. Since everything in the car from the amps, to the subs, and the speakers are JL Audio, the "JL" logo was fabricated out of semi-transparent plexi-glass. Mounted behind it are some orange lights (not on in the pictures below).

Behind the seats, I had two Stinger 1 farad capacitors mounted in a fiberglass box with backlights. I also wanted to incorporate the "Fairlady Z" emblem. There is also an Alpine 6-disc CD changer mounted in the place of one of the storage compartments.

Conveniently located in the center console are the switches for the monitor and the orange lights.

Here is a list of the equipment used. I went with all Alpine and JL Audio...

* Alpine DVA 9860 DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Player Headunit
* Flush-mounted 9" Widescreen Monitor
* Alpine CHAS634 6-Disc CD/MP3 Changer
* JL Audio XR Series Speakers
- Coaxials
- Components
* JL Audio "Slash Series" Amplifiers
- 500/1
- 300/4
* JL Audio Subwoofers
- 8W3V2 (3)
* Molded Dash
* Subwoofer Enclosure and Amplifier Rack
* Stinger 1 Farad Capacitor (2)
* Optima Yellow Top Battery

*I apologize that the pictures aren't the greatest quality, but they can at least give you an idea of what I had done... Feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy......!, pretty cool trim work man. not to sure about the huge JL logo but good craftmanship none the less.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Z1truth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY VERY VERY Clean install. Congrats on a great job! Did you do it yourself?????
Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Wow!

Question: About the 9" LCD. Did you build this using components?

--Spike
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Mesto

Sweert
Old 03-16-2007, 04:39 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice i like it...mind telling us where you got it done and how much was labor ?

b
Old 03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
WPPJR30

Crom - Yeah, to be honest, I was not aware that the "JL" logo was going in there. I wasn't too psyched about it, either. Afterall, I'm not being paid to advertise for them or anything! But, seeing as the speakers, subs, and amps are all JL, I don't really mind it. Some JL Audio reps happened to be at the shop when this project was happening, they really liked it...

Z1 - No, I didn't do it myself... A shop that I have been going to for a few years now did it for me. They have two custom installers who do great work. (Actually, one now. The guy who did this job quit the day after he finished working on this.)

Spike100 - The monitor is actually from a company that this shop uses for custom projects like this. There is a very thin frame around the monitor itself, which makes it easy to adapt to a not-so-typical mounting. They use them for custom, motorized screens and things of that nature...

Thanks for the compliments, guys!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Redmayns

HOLLY CRAPPPP, THAT IS SOOOOO CLEAN, I'M SUBSCRIBING, I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LEMANS Z NOW.
i am definately not trying to hate, but one thing i think would have just added a bit would be if those subs where raised, like the enclosure shouldnt be flat it should have them pointed somehere or something like that

Last edited by Redmayns; 03-16-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

very clean
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
creationv2

what you did behind the seats is sick!!! i love it! idk about the whole lemans color though...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
WPPJR30

Thanks!

16psibrick - It is a shop local to me who have done a couple projects for me. They do great work, I can't deny that, but I honestly don't think I will be going back there. Since they have done more than one job for me and I have spent a considerable amount of money with them, I believe they assume that I am now a life-long customer. That has resulted in less-than-great customer service and at times I feel as though I am being taken advantage of, to a certain extent. I feel like it should be the other way around. When they were trying to earn my business I was given the royal treatment every time I walked through the door. In my opinion, a business should always be striving to please their customers and watch out for their best interest. What would be a better way to ensure that they return? Anyway, because I have expressed my feelings about their customer service, I would rather not reveal who they are on a public forum. As for the costs... it wasn't cheap and I have promised to attend a couple shows for them as part of the deal.

Redmayns - I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in regards to the "flat" sub box. It's not exactly flat. It's molded from fiberglass and there are contours in it. Maybe that can't be seen in the photos or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point. Anyway, to each his own, I guess. I'm happy with it...
Old 03-16-2007, 06:00 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by creationv2
what you did behind the seats is sick!!! i love it! idk about the whole lemans color though...
Yeah...

I was a little wary, too. I was choosing between the LeMans, black, or the brushed aluminum/silver color on the interior of the 'Z' - I was made aware beforehand that if I did the LeMans it would look great at shows and grab attention, etc., but, at the same time, if I left the car parked in the mall parking lot or something of that nature, people would be able to see it from about 50 yards away and it might provoke a vandalism or burglary.

I don't drive the car every day, so I took the risk and went with the LeMans because I thought it would look sharp. I know some people might not like it, but in my opinion it came out pretty good. I don't think it's too intense, gaudy, or over-the-top at all...

Thanks for the compliments though...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i totally know what you mean by what you said whcih is why i an running my own show now... having a low overhead means i can afford to treat everyone with respect, even those who dont end up coming to me for installation

its not SIM is it?

b
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i totally know what you mean by what you said whcih is why i an running my own show now... having a low overhead means i can afford to treat everyone with respect, even those who dont end up coming to me for installation

its not SIM is it?

b
No, it's not. I'm glad you treat your customers with respect. Hopefully before AND after they pay you. I feel like my guys know that they earned my business once, so they don't have to try anymore... That's just a turn-off when it comes to doing business and spending my money with someone. That makes sense, right?

Anyway, I don't have speaker pods for my doors. I am considering investing in some. I have a feeling they might improve the output of my XR's. I see you make your own. Just of curiosity, what would a set run me?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i dont do speaker pods really, unless its special order, i Do kick panels usually Nazar is the one that does speaker pods

i do kicks for 350 a pair, fully glassed, dampened, and covered.

oh i make a point of treating my customers with respect after the install, infact, i would say i have become freinds with many of them after the work as been done we hang out sometime sjust to chat
Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i dont do speaker pods really, unless its special order, i Do kick panels usually Nazar is the one that does speaker pods

i do kicks for 350 a pair, fully glassed, dampened, and covered.

oh i make a point of treating my customers with respect after the install, infact, i would say i have become freinds with many of them after the work as been done we hang out sometime sjust to chat
I apologize. I thought I saw some door pods on your install web page... As for your business practices - that's good to hear!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:08 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah i did that set of pods for a 8" DLS iridium 3 way comp set's midbass like i said, special order only with your JL set, i thin nazar's pods would serve you well...

b
Old 03-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

incredible install!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 AM
gt3

nice and clean install!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:23 AM
jamaicanj