Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New Installed DDX8019 W/LZ702W Touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
07zrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey duke how did you hook up the hatch release to you screen? thats pertty sweet!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Spike100
Duke has me re-thinking my install as well…

But here is something to consider: The Farenheit T-7000MHR (aka; Power Acoustik PT-700MHR and NESA Vision NSM-7005) do not have the “overlayment” layer required for touch screen operation and therefore provide a slightly sharper image. You can see the difference.

Personally I hate the smudges that are an inherent part of using a touch screen. But, that’s just me, and many would argue that point in favor of the convenience and utility provided by touch screens.
--Spike
You should really rethink your setup. If I were you, I'd definitely do the LZ-702W.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You should really rethink your setup. If I were you, I'd definitely do the LZ-702W.
Yup… I think you are right.

The cool aspect of Duke’s install is the seamless integration of three different components (Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation “Black Box,” Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor, and Kenwood DDX8019) that creates an amazingly versatile entertainment system. His configuration fits the Z perfectly.

It would have been much easier to simply install the Kenwood DNX 7100 in the double din slot and call it good. Duke went a step beyond this and took advantage of the Z’s unique interior to create an exceptional CES.
--Spike
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
THE TECH

Yup… I think you are right.

The cool aspect of Duke’s install is the seamless integration of three different components (Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation “Black Box,” Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor, and Kenwood DDX8019) that creates an amazingly versatile entertainment system. His configuration fits the Z perfectly.

It would have been much easier to simply install the Kenwood DNX 7100 in the double din slot and call it good. Duke went a step beyond this and took advantage of the Z’s unique interior to create an exceptional CES.
--Spike
Yeah. I wished I would have done the same. At least with your setup, you can benefit from the LZ.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by 07zrider
hey duke how did you hook up the hatch release to you screen? thats pertty sweet!
Just a simple relay will do it.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Spike100

Yeah. I wished I would have done the same. At least with your setup, you can benefit from the LZ.
I installed the Garmin GVN52 navigation "black box." That unit uses a RF remote control and does not support touch screen function. Installing the Kenwood LZ-702W would give me a great LCD screen that would provide a nice display with the Garmin GVN 52, but I won't have touch screen support unless I replace my Garmin GVN52 with a Kenwood KNAG510.

I do like the Garmin GVN52 with the Power Acoustik 7" LCD that I am running now. The graphic and text on the screen are razor sharp with excellent color balance. The touch screen function (available with the Kenwood LZ-702W and Kenwood KNAG510 combo) is a nice feature, but I hate looking at those finger prints left on the screen.

But, and with this said, Mando's setup cannot be beat for function, versatility, and its great adaptation to the Z's available slots for a CES.
--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-05-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 AM
THE TECH

I installed the Garmin GVN52 navigation "black box." That unit uses a RF remote control and does not support touch screen function. Installing the Kenwood LZ-702W would give me a great LCD screen that would provide a nice display with the Garmin GVN 52, but I won't have touch screen support unless I replace my Garmin GVN52 with a Kenwood KNAG510.

I do like the Garmin GVN52 with the Power Acoustik 7" LCD that I am running now. The graphic and text on the screen are razor sharp with excellent color balance. The touch screen function (available with the Kenwood LZ-702W and Kenwood KNAG510 combo) is a nice feature, but I hate looking at those finger prints left on the screen.

But, and with this said, Mando's setup cannot be beat for function, versatility, and its great adaptation to the Z's available slots for a CES.
--Spike
What I really love about his setup is that he can put the navigation on the LZ and have full control over it while doing whatever else on the 8019. That's pretty close to exactly what I wanted to do. Oh well. Enough money spent on this.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Spike100

What I really love about his setup is that he can put the navigation on the LZ and have full control over it while doing whatever else on the 8019. That's pretty close to exactly what I wanted to do. Oh well. Enough money spent on this.
+1
I know what your saying about spending $$ chasing the perfect installation. I guess you do the research and make a decision, and stick with it for at least the 12 month warranty period since there is always something better "coming out soon.". A year from now there will be even better car electronic stuff we can throw dollars at by swapping out the perfectly functional equipment we have now. Actually you have a great installation with the Kenwood DNX 7100 and the Farenheit.

If I remember correctly, we both were very close to installing the Kenwood LZ-702W / KNAG510 combination. We sort of talked each other out of this worrying about accessing the LZ-702W's control buttons. But, that wasn't totally a bad decision. Adjusting the Farneheit LCD display is done easily and quickly using the IR remote. Making some changes with the Kenwood LZ-702W installed in the upper/forward cubby may require (depending upon what adjustment is needed) pulling the Z's cubby-finisher to gain access to the monitor's buttons for some functions. I realize that I am "reaching for justification" here, but it is something to consider.

As you said: "Oh well. Enough money spent on this." is true in my case as well. I plan to stay with my setup for awhile (if I can control myself ). At least I am very happy with the Focal 165 V Slim components I recently installed and have no plans to replace these.
--Spike
Old 04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
THE TECH

For anyone interested, I do have a DNX-7100 for sale. Installed it in a customer's car today and after he got home, decided he didn't like it. PM me if interested.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Spike100

For anyone interested, I do have a DNX-7100 for sale. Installed it in a customer's car today and after he got home, decided he didn't like it. PM me if interested.
Just curious and asking because you said: "Installed it in a customer's car today and after he got home, decided he didn't like it."

Are you a CES installer? (Please forgive me if I am asking a question that everyone else here knows the answer).

--Spike
Old 04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
THE TECH

Just curious and asking because you said: "Installed it in a customer's car today and after he got home, decided he didn't like it."

Are you a CES installer? (Please forgive me if I am asking a question that everyone else here knows the answer).

--Spike
When I first started out, car stereo was my first love. I do basic installs now. The car audio biz ain't what it used to be.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Spike100

^^ ^^ I had to ask because your posts are informative and beyond the "advanced-amateur" level.

I had the opportunity to demo a Kenwood DNX-7100. It is just a great device. I would choose this over similar products from Pioneer or Eclipse. The only other product I would consider is Alpine. But, IMHO the Kenwood DNX-7100 provides more features for less $$. And, I am a fan of ROM based navigation devices vs. DVD systems.

Another question: Why did the customer not like the DNX-7100?

--Spike
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
THE TECH

^^ ^^ I had to ask because your posts are informative and beyond the "advanced-amateur" level.

I had the opportunity to demo a Kenwood DNX-7100. It is just a great device. I would choose this over similar products from Pioneer or Eclipse. The only other product I would consider is Alpine. But, IMHO the Kenwood DNX-7100 provides more features for less $$. And, I am a fan of ROM based navigation devices vs. DVD systems.

Another question: Why did the customer not like the DNX-7100?

--Spike
The guy really just wanted integrated Sirius instead of the external, fm-modulated unit and something that integrated with his stock amplified stereo system. He is not into performance audio at all. He basically told me that he was listening to a great dance mix and wanted to know who was the DJ and for whatever reason, the display didn't show the composer. Pretty crazy.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
clavoie

Nice install. I too just installed the DDX8019, G510 and BT100 in my Z. Now all you need is a USB hdd to store all your music. LACie 80gb unit works flawless with this setup. I'd be interested in hearing more on how you set up the relay for your rear hatch.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 AM
crazysojujon

I too also have a dual monitor setup like yours with a pioneer avic-d2

I'm wondering if that is only a feature that HU/nav system has integrating

both monitors as one interface?

I'm using the upper monitor as a ps2 only for games and watching dvd's but i barely use it.

I want to use my spare monitor more than i used to =[
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
EFLoW

Awesome setup THEDUKE!

I'm thinking about going with the same setup, but I'm worried about the LZ702W fitting in the 06 cubby. Does anyone know if it will fit? I searched for info about it but I couldnt find anything.

Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to a USB HD in order to use it with this HU? Im thinking along the lines of installing an operating system in it or setting up a certain file system (i.e. NTFS or FAT32)?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
clavoie

The file system has to be FAT32. The LaCie comes formated as FAT32 and doesn't seem to draw more than 500ma which is the max for powering off the usb port.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

very clean install =D
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EFLoW
Awesome setup THEDUKE!

I'm thinking about going with the same setup, but I'm worried about the LZ702W fitting in the 06 cubby. Does anyone know if it will fit? I searched for info about it but I couldnt find anything.

Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to a USB HD in order to use it with this HU? Im thinking along the lines of installing an operating system in it or setting up a certain file system (i.e. NTFS or FAT32)?
You need to purchase the 03 cubby. It is the same as the instructions as putting in the Farenheit screen.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: New Installed DDX8019 W/LZ702W Touchscreen