Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New Installed DDX8019 W/LZ702W Touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Takhteh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I'm now thinking of going stupidly crazy and taking out my Farenheit screen, replacing it with the 702w and also adding the G510. This will allow me to have the Nav on either the 7100 or the 702w.
I would just leave it man. Honestly, you have a good setup. Does the Farenheit come w/any additional A/V inputs? If so, you're definitely set with just what you have.

My $0.02. But hey, whatever floats ur boat..
Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
twentyinrims

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Ok, here is the solution for everyone wanting to use the Kenwood monitor and want to feed another video source into it. Since the V.SEL button cannot be pushed once the finisher is in place it is just a matter of using the rear camera input on the monitor and making the monitor think you are putting the car in reverse when you really are not. What this does is it shows any video signal being sent into it automatically. The way I acomplished this was using one of the DDX8019's external outputs to make it think the car was being put into reverse. Since you are not using the DDX8019 you can easily acomplish this using a toggle switch. Hope this all makes sense for those of you wanting to do this. As far as the cubby, you must use the 03 cubby, the other year cubbys will not work. You should be able to pick it up at any Nissan Dealer. When I want to show the video signal from the DDX8019on the LZ702W, all I do is touch the icon on the DDX8019 and it shows the video signal on the LZ702W. It is that simple.
Ahhhh, nice. The only problem I have is I am using a JVC dvd/cd single din radio. This radio has a 2.7 screen on it but I do not believe there is a rear camera output. Looks like I'll have to fiberglass the finisher and make my own. Arrrrrrrgh, its alwasy something. I dont see this as being too hard because the finisher is not that big, damn, I might even do it or get it done in CF. All of the buttons can be exposed with this method which for me I need half of them. 03 cubby has been ordered and project will be on da way soon. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Takhteh
I would just leave it man. Honestly, you have a good setup. Does the Farenheit come w/any additional A/V inputs? If so, you're definitely set with just what you have.

My $0.02. But hey, whatever floats ur boat..
It has one set of inputs which allows me to view dvds, the backup camera or my ipod video. From the beginning though, I had wanted to be able to use the nav on the upper screen so I'm just not sure. I'm gonna talk to my wallet and see what it has to say.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twentyinrims
Ahhhh, nice. The only problem I have is I am using a JVC dvd/cd single din radio. This radio has a 2.7 screen on it but I do not believe there is a rear camera output. Looks like I'll have to fiberglass the finisher and make my own. Arrrrrrrgh, its alwasy something. I dont see this as being too hard because the finisher is not that big, damn, I might even do it or get it done in CF. All of the buttons can be exposed with this method which for me I need half of them. 03 cubby has been ordered and project will be on da way soon. Thanks for your help!!!
You use the video output of the unit to feed into the rear camera input of the screen, so in your case it will work.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Takhteh

Originally Posted by THE TECH
It has one set of inputs which allows me to view dvds, the backup camera or my ipod video. From the beginning though, I had wanted to be able to use the nav on the upper screen so I'm just not sure. I'm gonna talk to my wallet and see what it has to say.
Hold up, so the 7100 won't let you put navi on the external screen, only DVD? There's gotta be a way, no?

I'm assuming the Farenheit doesn't have the back-up camera wire, otherwise problem most definitely solved!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by Takhteh
Hold up, so the 7100 won't let you put navi on the external screen, only DVD? There's gotta be a way, no?

I'm assuming the Farenheit doesn't have the back-up camera wire, otherwise problem most definitely solved!
That is correct and I think this applies to all Kenwood units. I wonder if you can tap the video signal from the nav to the screen and output it to a second screen.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by gt3
That is correct and I think this applies to all Kenwood units. I wonder if you can tap the video signal from the nav to the screen and output it to a second screen.
Since all the nav is internal, there is no video signal to tap.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
THEDUKE

That is correct, since the navigation is internal there is no signal to grap. Even with the external module(KNA-G510) the signal coming out of it is RGB, and you would need a composite ouput to feed it to another monitor. This is only true with the new style navigation unit. The older Kenwood navigation units had both RGB and composite video ouptus.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

All Kenwood navigation products support touch-screen, and either use a proprietary connector (as is the case when connecting the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box to the remote Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor), or are "all-in-one" double-din devices (e.g., Kenwood DNX-7100). The point being Kenwood navigation devices are designed as touch-screen devices that only support output to a single LCD screen.

If you want more versatility (i.e, navigation display to multiple LCD monitors) your best choice is the Garmin GVN 52. The Garmin GVN 52 uses a "universal" composite video connector. That allows you to connect this GPS device to any display or double-din device that supports NTSC/PAL. You can easily install an A/B (or A/B/C) switch that directs video to any number of available LCD screens (displaying navigation on one or multiple screens). The downside is the Garmin GVN 52 uses a handheld RF controller and does not support touch-screen function.

Not trying to "jack" this thread, but only pointing out other solutions.

--Spike
Old 05-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Takhteh

DUKE, am a little confused now. Spike please feel free to "chime in," also man. Definitely appreciate the input you guys have given me thus far. I made a lot of progress on the install this weekend but am still awaiting the 03 cubby, which will "hopefully" be in tom. Anyhow, my understanding about wiring the rocker switch for the video/navi solution you mentioned, DUKE, for the LZ702W, is not entirely clear anymore. I was thinking along the lines of.. well, check out the following link (last diagram entitled "Rocker Switch," at bottom of page):

http://www.bcae1.com/switches.htm

I plan to run a separate (+12V) wire from the battery to the switch, I know it is probably easier to "tap" into the others, but don't want to do that for this. Anyhow, my understanding is that I have to make connections for all three (3) tabs on the switch:

first tab (1) = +12V

middle tab (2) = add-on (in this case, purple wire
from the LZ702W hideaway... aka Rear Camera input)

last tab (3) = (-) ground

But DUKE, you mentioned that I should make sure the wire coming from the rocker is +. I am confused now.. Can you clarify what needs to be connected and exactly where? Thanks so much man. Can't wait to finally have pics up once everything is done.. Did all the wiring this weekend, kappas in the door, etc, etc.. HOPEFULLY, sometime later this week pics will be up!

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
twentyinrims

Arrrgh, this ish is pissing me off, how the hell do you get the 03 cubby flatg in the 06 dash. A lil bit of dremmel or something right?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
deuce300

I just found this thread and what an awesome install man! I have a few questions after reading the whole thread....

So is it safe to say the LZ-702W will work with a DNX-7100 and in theory a DNX-8120, in regards to touch functionality and different output screens? I understand nav won't output to the 702W from the 7100 but I've read a report that Kenwood may be enabling nav output on the 2008 nav units.

The 702W seems real nice for a second basic touch monitor compared to a KOS-L702/KOS-V500 combo which is a much pricier combination.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by deuce300
I just found this thread and what an awesome install man! I have a few questions after reading the whole thread....

So is it safe to say the LZ-702W will work with a DNX-7100 and in theory a DNX-8120, in regards to touch functionality and different output screens? I understand nav won't output to the 702W from the 7100 but I've read a report that Kenwood may be enabling nav output on the 2008 nav units.

The 702W seems real nice for a second basic touch monitor compared to a KOS-L702/KOS-V500 combo which is a much pricier combination.
You cannot control the DNX-7100 or DNX-8120 via the LZ-702W touchscreen. You will only be able to operate the Naviagtion touchscreen functions via the LZ-702W. You have to control the Headunit functions on the actual headunit touchscreen. I hope this answers your question.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Very nice setup. Very functional, and it suits the Z perfectly.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM
H2O

Nice setup. Could I do the same setup on my 08?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
niles08

Default Setup on my '06 Roadster

Hi I am pretty new here, but I saw THEDUKE's setup and it inspired me. I saw the new motorized 06 cubby holes, but then saw that they would run about $279. I was wondering if anyone has been able to install a screen in the 06 stock cubby without the nav setup. I did searches and I have only found people changing out the cubby hole. If anyone could suggest what screen would fit best in the center cubby, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
PrevWon

How much do the 03 cubbies cost from Nissan? Will it not work with the 04?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PrevWon
How much do the 03 cubbies cost from Nissan? Will it not work with the 04?
Here is a link that might answer your questions:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4445

--Spike
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Watkins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this would help you with a solution; but in my case the addition of this multi A/V controller allows me to run up to four different audio/video inputs to switch to one signal, or distribute that signal into as many as six audio/video sources.

Essentially this controller makes my single input cubby screen a multiple input A/V monitor, allowing me to view my rear camera, front camera, Garmin GVN52, and anything else I can think of, all controller with a IR remote.

Again, I don't know if this is applicable in your system, but it sure gives you a lot of flexibility when using multiple signals.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Reyes_USN

niiiiice

Quick Reply: New Installed DDX8019 W/LZ702W Touchscreen