Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Subbox in factory location

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:49 PM
TheProfessional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chefrey
if you dyno mat the area behind the stock sub completely seeling it off, building false walls and basically building a box out of dyno mat you can put a jl10w6v2 in the stock location that will soud good. put dyno mat around the ring the bose sub attached to and the jl sub will drop in using the same mounting space. the only thing you will have to do is modify the cover to fit over the new sub.

i have done this in my own car and it sounds great, not perfect, but does the job very well keeping a stealth look and sounding good.
You got pictures with the cover on?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
chefrey

if you give me a couple of days i should be able to get a couple still working on the finishing touches
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
rkemp1

The install is complete. It sounds great. The bass is tight and fairly loud. I do have an amp that probably is overkill hooked up to it but it was available so i used it. I definitely think that the silencers around the major holes helped. My freind told me that the poly fill acts to reduce the airspace in the hole and increase the abilility to create pressure. This helps to reduce the drone that many describe from just slapping a sub in there. I think my assessment of it sounding good is accurate, especially considering my old maxima had almost 3 grand worth of speakers and subs in it. Any guys interested in tips Im happy to help.

The pros of this setup:

1.) allows a completely stealth subwoofer installation as the amp is in the Cubby behind the passenger seat ( great for us who live in questionable neighborhoods)

2.) allows you to keep the small amount of space your Z has available in your trunk rather than dedicating it to a subwoofer and enclosure.
3.) Feels like a massage while driving home from work!

Cons:

1.) It is a single 10" sub so dont expect that it will be as loud as the truck next to you with dual 15s in it.

2.) Requires a little extra time to Dynamat the hole.

3.) The angle of the hole limits your subwoofer options to those without ridiculously large or deep magnets. Otherwise a longer subwoofer (like the Almani Series 7) we tried will not fit due to it hitting the bottom of that hole
^^^^I posted this a few mins ago ironically^^^^

But this setup works for me and Im sure will work 4 anyone else that will appreciate the Z as a sports car and not a platform for sound competitions.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
flozada

Does the cover fits ok and the sub suspension is cleared? do you have the bose cover or the flat one?
it would really help to know that...
thanks for the pics.

if you dyno mat the area behind the stock sub completely seeling it off, building false walls and basically building a box out of dyno mat you can put a jl10w6v2 in the stock location that will soud good. put dyno mat around the ring the bose sub attached to and the jl sub will drop in using the same mounting space. the only thing you will have to do is modify the cover to fit over the new sub.

i have done this in my own car and it sounds great, not perfect, but does the job very well keeping a stealth look and sounding good.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
chefrey

i have the bose cover and it does have to be modified (cut). i am in the process of wrapping it to finish off my install ill post pics by end of weekend

the sub uses the stock mounting plate with no modifications and that particular sub fits directly in the area perfectly
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
TurboTrey

I think I'm just going to shove a $100 Bazooka tube in there and be done with it all.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
I think I'm just going to shove a $100 Bazooka tube in there and be done with it all.
Will sound like ***.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM
A.E.S.S.

Originally Posted by Seel

lol hillarious! Sure you prefer them now. BTW don't post idiotic comments if you can't take direct and sometimes critical questions about them asshat

Hmm, lets see. Isn't this what ur doing? GETTING ALL BENT OUTA SHAPE!
Take it easy dude, first of all Yes eel, I actually prefer the zenclosure, over the stock location. I just happen to appreciate the fact that a person can ask a question that for many is most easily answered, just get a zenclosure. It's boring when people's responses are so mainstream. While it's the best option I don't disagree; the stock sub location is terms of pratical application makes more sense. Through Paul's explanation, I actually understand that subs perform better at the under strut location.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
chefrey

just finished the install will have final pics up tom when it is daylight. looks real good though
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
TurboTrey

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Will sound like ***.
What is a better idea then? I have to be able to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
chefrey

pics for anyone that is interested, the final install looks real clean and sounds great. i even found thread to match the stock stiching on the seats to bring everything together. wrapping the plastic panel eliminated the little rattle that i had due to the fact that the cover now fits reel snug in place.

i would recomend this process to anyone interested in good quality sound while keeping the stock location, if you are interested in winning db competions this is not for you!

final outcome= looks good, sounds good, rattle free, it works for me
Attached Thumbnails Subbox in factory location-cover1.jpg   Subbox in factory location-cover2.jpg   Subbox in factory location-cover4.jpg   Subbox in factory location-dscf0726-2-.jpg  
Old 08-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Delako

pics for anyone that is interested, the final install looks real clean and sounds great. i even found thread to match the stock stiching on the seats to bring everything together. wrapping the plastic panel eliminated the little rattle that i had due to the fact that the cover now fits reel snug in place.

i would recomend this process to anyone interested in good quality sound while keeping the stock location, if you are interested in winning db competions this is not for you!

That looks real nice. I have a Roadster and definitely will be doing this.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM
DrPhantum

I have a Roadster, as well, and I think coating the interior of the stock Blose location in Dynamat would be acceptable for me. Chefrey... Congratulations on a clean install... and on being a good role model for your fellow Z-owners (especially Roadster owners) to aspire to be. What did you use to make "walls" inside the enclosure?

I have researched Nazar's Roadster box... and $300 is waaay too much for me to pay. Especially if I can get acceptable sound from doing a Dynamat install. I might pay $150 for the Nazar box, but largely so I don't have to put in the time and to avoid working with the sticky stuff, though. The box will also offer a cleaner removal, for when I trade in my car for a newer Z...

Here's kind of a silly idea that might work... Is it possible to get a SECOND glove box, which would be sealed, and install it on the driver's side? I don't know if the dimensions would be good for a sub... I was just going on the idea that the glove box would be pretty much airtight. Nissan may have even made the glove box able to fit in either space because of left/right-hand drive conversion. I'm sure this has been proposed before... but I thought I'd introduce it to this thread and see what the pros think.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Beeker

I am in the same boat as others in this thread. I have an 05 roadster with the bose system. I know the Bose is not liked by most but for me it is fine. I have a very nice system in my house for listening to music. In the car I mainly listen to Howard Stern, sports and some music. I only drive the Z when it is nice enough to put the top down so music is not my top priority.

Anyway, my only real complaint with the Bose is the rattles coming from the sub area. I can't tell what is rattling but it is extremely annoying. Will dynomatting the entire inside of the sub enclosure like the pictures above help? Keep in mind that I am using the stock sub.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 AM
dewoof01

Tomorrow (Friday) I am having two new subs installed in my z. One behind each seat. There will be a real box behind each seat one in the factory sub area and the other in the area where the glove box is. The box is going to be construction of MDF and fiberglass in the correct size for each sub. It is being done by one of the top ten rated car audio installers in the US and it isn't cheap, but he knows the spaces in behind there well and will be doing everything correctly as well as making new grill covers over the subs to fit on the plastic panels. There are going to be 2 jl10w3v3's going in there powered by my JL Audio 500/1. Will post pics when done if anyone is interested as well as show an idea of how the boxes were constructed in there. I have no clue how this guy is going to pull this off but he said its tuff but not a problem. We will see...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice install. I might have to do that since I hate carrying a heavy box around. How much Dynomat was used? Thinking about getting it over the weekend, and making it a project.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 AM
dunpealhunter

Originally Posted by dewoof01
Tomorrow (Friday) I am having two new subs installed in my z. One behind each seat. There will be a real box behind each seat one in the factory sub area and the other in the area where the glove box is. The box is going to be construction of MDF and fiberglass in the correct size for each sub. It is being done by one of the top ten rated car audio installers in the US and it isn't cheap, but he knows the spaces in behind there well and will be doing everything correctly as well as making new grill covers over the subs to fit on the plastic panels. There are going to be 2 jl10w3v3's going in there powered by my JL Audio 500/1. Will post pics when done if anyone is interested as well as show an idea of how the boxes were constructed in there. I have no clue how this guy is going to pull this off but he said its tuff but not a problem. We will see...
let me know how it comes out with pictures. I am in the process of installing a single ten my roadster... it goes to paint in three weeks.. got to get solution fast... My sub is too deep to go into stock location without modification... Bad purchase on my part, but will make it work... Let me know my poor car is gutted and in the garage
Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
chefrey

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
Nice install. I might have to do that since I hate carrying a heavy box around. How much Dynomat was used? Thinking about getting it over the weekend, and making it a project.

sorry for the late reply i dont visit the audio forums to much, i used a full trunk kit from best buy cost about 130 from them but you can find it online for around 60 if you dont mind waiting for it to be delivered.

if anyone has any other questions about this install feel free to pm me, you will definately get a faster response from me.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
GC71

sorry for the late reply i dont visit the audio forums to much, i used a full trunk kit from best buy cost about 130 from them but you can find it online for around 60 if you dont mind waiting for it to be delivered.

if anyone has any other questions about this install feel free to pm me, you will definately get a faster response from me.

Just read the entire thread..loads of good info and advs.

Saw someone mentioned that putting a free air sub would not make much difference but did not mention why..

Has anybody tried it..I currently have a rockford 10" there and it rattles when i crank it up and have a kicker free air lying around from a previous car..am thinking of covering the interior of the enclosure with dyna mat and maybe try both...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
ETZ

dewoof01...Do you know if it's ported or sealed?

Quick Reply: Subbox in factory location