Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Subbox in factory location

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
ETZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subbox

dewoof01...Do you know if it's ported or sealed?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
dewoof01

It is 2 completely sealed enclosures. He was able to build the boxes outside the car then fit them in and screw them into the car. He did a fantastic job. I will post pics of after install. he also had to make new covers to replace the glove box door as well as the plastic sub panel behind the drivers seat. He built these out of MDF cut to side then bondo over the top to get the look right and covered with material that matched the interior to basically make it look like stock and put the JL sub grills in there. Looks very nice. I will probably have pics this week but it is going in again this friday to have one more sub put in the back as well as mounting the amps and capacitor under plexiglass. So I may just wait for pics until that is done. Have Focal seperates in the doors up front all in stock locations as well as focal 6.5" in the rear speaker locations. Pioneer D3 deck in the dash spot with steering wheel controls all hooked up as well as a sub volume control mounted in the blank plate where the heated seat controls should go i believe. 2 10" w3v3's behind the seats jl 300/4 running the inside speakers and a jl E1800 running the subs, all hidden in spare tire well. Looks very clean and can't even tell its not stock.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you buy plexi from? Not sure but would like to know for future references.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I want it. Cannot wait for the pics.

I really like the Focal components in the door (great punchy bass), but would like to try adding a SubW (just haven't been able to figure out where to put the SubW without losing needed cargo space).

--Spike
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
XIceDragonX

couldn't you use like a roll of flexible aluminum or somethin, pull it tight and make your own kindda box in the little factory hole??? Like make a box from it, than cover the seems with a sealer... followed with dynomatting the inside of that enclosure?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
dewoof01

You could... and I did. And it will sound like crap no matter how good you do it. Alot of people don't realize that there is a TON of space back there. You can easily fit a 10" sub with 1+ Ft3 of air space. Its all about how you design the box. I had a 10" type r in the dynomat enclosure and it sounded fine, but nothing compared to the JL in a REAL box built to specs in that slot. The tightness of the base is unbelievable and not just the difference between the two subs the main difference is in the box. Having a third 10" added into the trunk along with amps under plexi and false floor added tomorrow. Will post pics after that of install. I will try to write up a drawing of how he did the full box in there when I post the pics. I think it will make alot of sense and change peoples minds from doing the dynomat. There are limitations to mounting depth of the sub though and I will explain those.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

chefrey, awesome job!!!

is there any other access to the stock sub location besides the main door behind the driver's seat?? (i don't have a z yet)

and did u mount the amp in that cubby also or somewhere else?? if in the cubby, is any air getting to it to prevent overheating??

-chris
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
dewoof01

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
chefrey, awesome job!!!

is there any other access to the stock sub location besides the main door behind the driver's seat?? (i don't have a z yet)

and did u mount the amp in that cubby also or somewhere else?? if in the cubby, is any air getting to it to prevent overheating??

-chris
No there is not another access unless you start pulling the sheet metal out. Where the sub cutout is that panel of metal will unbolt out there are about 10 10mm bolts holding it in. Once that is out you have approx. a 12" by 18" opening to do all your work in.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
XIceDragonX

So wait, you can take out the factory metal mount for the bose audio sub by removing these 10 bolts and possibly, if creative enough, fit a box in that 12" by 18" work area???
Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 AM
dewoof01

Yes that is what the installer did in my car. I am not 100% on those numbers, but it is around 12" in high and I was guessing 18" because it is pretty rectangular. I will draw up a diagram with the pics of the stereo install friday when I have my car back from the final parts of the installation. Alot of people don't realize how much room is back there until they pull the metal sub slot out and take a look in there.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Nazar
Banned

Default Glove Box Enclosure Info

Here is the glove box enclosures we make.

http://www.wickedcas.com/gallery/v/magicboxes/ZR350Z/

They fit Coupe and Convertible. Subs are down firing.

They are $299.95 each side.
You can but them with a JL AUDIO 10w1v2 for $399.95
You get both sides and I will save you $50.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM
eightyeight

Nazar,
So if i got two with two of those subs, it would be 750?
is the install simple/fast?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by eightyeight
Nazar,
So if i got two with two of those subs, it would be 750?
is the install simple/fast?
Yes sir.
Install is simple. As you can see the pictures in our photo gallery it is self explanitory. You need to take all the rear panels apart. Carpeting the boxes are not necessary as they are not seen.

Let me know...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 PM
XIceDragonX

Why not have the subs fire out like the factory one? why down firing??? What is better??? just a wonderance...
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
eightyeight

Originally Posted by Nazar
Yes sir.
Install is simple. As you can see the pictures in our photo gallery it is self explanitory. You need to take all the rear panels apart. Carpeting the boxes are not necessary as they are not seen.

Let me know...
yeah i saw that. how much would shipping be? I dont have a Z yet though. but after i put a down payment on (an 05 in a few months) i will have an extra 3gs to spend on mods. and trying to see the best way to spend the 3gs.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by eightyeight
yeah i saw that. how much would shipping be? I dont have a Z yet though. but after i put a down payment on (an 05 in a few months) i will have an extra 3gs to spend on mods. and trying to see the best way to spend the 3gs.
Shipping to OC for bothboxes and Subs will be about $60
You will need an amp and ome speakers too if you want a nice system.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by XIceDragonX
Why not have the subs fire out like the factory one? why down firing??? What is better??? just a wonderance...

You want the sub to have a some travel, with the sub against the seat you will have more bass inyour trunk then in the cabin. With the sub firing down the bass has some travel which by the time it gets to yu in the dr seat it will be louder then having it behind you... I tried to simplify it in easy to understand terms.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM
XIceDragonX

than why not have it fire inward towards the trunk??? I mean I kind of have an understanding of what you are trying to say... but at the same time, I don't see why they'd put a factory one there facing the seat considering bose figured out to put it there for some reason??? I just am trying to figure the reasoning for it to be how and where it is.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
eightyeight

Originally Posted by Nazar
Shipping to OC for bothboxes and Subs will be about $60
You will need an amp and ome speakers too if you want a nice system.
i noticed in your website that it says its for "ZR" does that r stand for roadster? cuz i dont plan on getting one. ok yeah that sounds reasonable for shipping. i dont know what the stock speakers sound like yet... are they not good enough and they need to be replaced. I'm not really in need of an excellent sound system just a u know, good one. i was thinking just get a headunit (avic-d3) and some bass and i'll be good. or u recommend speakers?
and if yes, whats some good ones and moderatley priced? do u seel some?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
dewoof01

You absolutely need new speakers and head unit, even if you have the bose. Just my opinion. The stock speakers are crappy paper pieces of you know what... If you are planning on keeping the stock speakers I would simply just get a 10" free air sub and an couple hundred watt amp and hook them up, anything past that would be pointless unless upgrading the interior. Once again just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Subbox in factory location