Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Subbox in factory location

Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
CMT111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subbox in factory location

Is it possible to get a subbox in the area where the factory bose is? I listened to a nice 10" in a fairly small "truck" box and wondered if it would fit in that area. Anybody have the size specs on that area? Also, I should add I do not have my Z yet (getting in a week), so I can't take the car apart and measure it.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
stereoneeds

search. i dont think anyones been happy with the sub there. get a zenclosure that goes in the rear.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really know why you would put a box there and not use the oem bracket that comes with every car, bose or not, if you're going to put a sub there. There's not enough air for the bass to fully develop if you put it back there, but it's better than nothing.

For better bass, use the zenclosure like the above poster said. However, there's more than enough room in the enclosure for both an amp and a sub using the existing materials.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
A.E.S.S.

Can someone explain why the stock location for an aftermarket sub is a non-prefered location by many? The location is ideal for two reasons. The first being it makes for a stealthy install & second, you can minimize the extra weight by removing the bose sub. I think there should be a way to make it work. THe bose sub does suck, however it is not actually that bad. I've heard way worse.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by A.E.S.S.
Can someone explain why the stock location for an aftermarket sub is a non-prefered location by many? The location is ideal for two reasons. The first being it makes for a stealthy install & second, you can minimize the extra weight by removing the bose sub. I think there should be a way to make it work. THe bose sub does suck, however it is not actually that bad. I've heard way worse.
I think it was answered in this thread. There is not enough air for the bass to really "materialize", therefore not giving you the sound that the sub was designed to create. That's why people put the subs in the hatch- not because it's stylish or because it takes even *more* room but because there's open air for the bass.

Have you seen the bose sub out of the box? It's a joke.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Behind the driver's seat there is enough area to build an enclosure with enough physical volume to match the Thiel-Small parameters of nearly any 10-12" speaker made. The reason that people don't use that area is that it is nearly impossible to seal air tight. It's a very complex area running from behind the driver's seat all the way over to the passengers and back to the top of the gas tank - likely 2 to 3 cubic feet - more if you took out the passenger's size cubby hole. But short of several pounds of fiberglass spread all over the interior of that thing it's not going to be air tight and it has to be for anything but a free air woofer.

The speaker manufactures design the speaker motor to push and pull against a certain volume of air. This air acts as a spring - like in a car's suspension - to limit the travel in both directions. As the woofer is pushed outwards the air in the box is rarefied at bit pulling back against the cone. As the woofer is pulled inwards the air in the box is compresses pushing back against the cone. If there is an air leak of any size this "counter" action is out of tune and the speaker gets sloppy and over driven often bouncing off the spider and basket and stressing the surround material in the process. The speaker is overdriven and sounds like poo.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:30 PM
CMT111

Thank You. question to the tecnical guys: If you put a "truck box" back there the box would be sealed. Then the bass just needs to radiate out the bose grill.

Failing this I may go single 10" zen (but really, REALLY want the stealth factor of factory location.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
A.E.S.S.

THanks Paul350Z that is a very thorough explanation.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by CMT_G35
Thank You. question to the tecnical guys: If you put a "truck box" back there the box would be sealed. Then the bass just needs to radiate out the bose grill.

Failing this I may go single 10" zen (but really, REALLY want the stealth factor of factory location.
Depending on the type of music you listen to and type of bass you desire, an 8 inch in a Q logic box will possibly fit there. I am thinking about doing this as I can't give up the trunk space and like a stealth install as well. I like tight musical bass with good extension, rock and blues music mostly. I don't need the "I can hear you a 1/2 mile away shake every bolt loose in the car" bass some desire, just tight, fast, and reasonably deep. the Q-Logic QLH-.3508SS, and the Q-Logic QLT-.3508SS, are available. The first might fit facing forward in the space, I think the second one, a wider thinner box, would go in firing up or down depending on the install. There are some decent 8 " subs available that fit a .35 box like these.

John
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Anthony C

i have this same question and i NEED to put my new sub in the stock location because i have a roadster and do not have the option to put it in my hatch and i REFUSE to put it in my trunk cause i do not want ppl outside of my expierencing the same bass as i am inside the car... thats just ghetto... the sounds should remain inside the car...

i seen somewhere someone sells a custom box to go in that spot.. i mean i can fab one no problem as i have done in my other car and my friend is a stereo guru with wiring and customizing... i just dont wanna be bothered as my last custom system took a total of about 70 hours from start to finish...
Old 07-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Anthony C

Originally Posted by Anthony C
i have this same question and i NEED to put my new sub in the stock location because i have a roadster and do not have the option to put it in my hatch and i REFUSE to put it in my trunk cause i do not want ppl outside of my expierencing the same bass as i am inside the car... thats just ghetto... the sounds should remain inside the car...

i seen somewhere someone sells a custom box to go in that spot.. i mean i can fab one no problem as i have done in my other car and my friend is a stereo guru with wiring and customizing... i just dont wanna be bothered as my last custom system took a total of about 70 hours from start to finish...

anyone have any info... i plan on starting this soon and if i dont have to make my own custom box i really would like not to only cause i work 6 days a week now and have 0 free time really
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
jrforrester

anyone have any info... i plan on starting this soon and if i dont have to make my own custom box i really would like not to only cause i work 6 days a week now and have 0 free time really

Here....

http://wickedcas.com/store/product_i...3e7b099c8db416

the guys name on here is NAZAR. he makes some good stuff..

Last edited by jrforrester; 07-28-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:33 AM
TurboTrey

Yes you can fit a small 10" box in the space if you take the Bose bracket off.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
lbz

I think my Zenclosures box under the strut is somewhat stealth because it's not really in plain site. A person would have to make an effort to look for it... with dark tint it would be better. Of course this is all with the hatch closed....
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Seel

I can't believe you just said "it is not actually that bad". It's HORRID. That is not bass, that is a rattle behind the seat compared to real bass. I"ve heard NUMBEROUS other factory stereos that sound MUCH better than the Z's "upgraded bose". BLAH

To the original poster: First, if you are going to be addiing an aftermarket sub you have a few options. Check here for different enclosures made for the Z http://stores.ebay.com/ZEnclosures

I recently added a single 10" plus an amp. The amp was nearly 20" long and I installed it in the factory bose sub location (custom mounting plate and all). I used the 1 hole under strut 10" Zenclosure. It's flush, it almost looks factory, and it VERY WELL MADE.

You are not going to get much improvement out of a sub by adding ANOTHER free air sub into the stock sub location. Where are you going to put the amp even if you do put one in there? Good luck with whatever you do but if you really want to upgrade, do it the right way.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Seel

The comment about someone experiencing bass outside the car is just way wrong. The Z holds the bass EXTREMELY well without any sound deadening. Actually it's pretty amazing.

But my question to you is that how do you expect ANY sub in ANY location to travel less if it is of the same quality and equal airspace? That isn't going to happen. If all things are equal then it will travel the same distance making your theory of sounding "less ghetto" meritless.

Before either of you guys install a sub/subs in your Z's, ask yourself where you plan to put the amp that runs it. Sub and amp won't fit in the stock bose sub location. Do yourself a favor and get a Zenclosure understrut box...
Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 AM
A.E.S.S.

Originally Posted by Seel
The comment about someone experiencing bass outside the car is just way wrong. The Z holds the bass EXTREMELY well without any sound deadening. Actually it's pretty amazing.

But my question to you is that how do you expect ANY sub in ANY location to travel less if it is of the same quality and equal airspace? That isn't going to happen. If all things are equal then it will travel the same distance making your theory of sounding "less ghetto" meritless.

Before either of you guys install a sub/subs in your Z's, ask yourself where you plan to put the amp that runs it. Sub and amp won't fit in the stock bose sub location. Do yourself a favor and get a Zenclosure understrut box...

Gees, you're really pushing this "Zenclosure" aren't yeah! I guess you work for them too?

This thread is about the factory sub-location not a "where do I put my amp once I get a aftermarket sub because I haven't thought about it & now I don't have any room" thread. Chill with the dramatics Mr. 611 posts doesn't making you supreme court judge.
By the way I actually prefer the "Zenclosure myself I was just looking for a logical explanation (which Paul provided)
Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Seel

Gees, you're really pushing this "Zenclosure" aren't yeah! I guess you work for them too?

This thread is about the factory sub-location not a "where do I put my amp once I get a aftermarket sub because I haven't thought about it & now I don't have any room" thread. Chill with the dramatics Mr. 611 posts doesn't making you supreme court judge.
By the way I actually prefer the "Zenclosure myself I was just looking for a logical explanation (which Paul provided)

lol hillarious! Sure you prefer them now. BTW don't post idiotic comments if you can't take direct and sometimes critical questions about them asshat
Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM
TurboTrey

There is a thread like this every few days and they all turn out like this. For some of us we really don't want anything in the trunk taking up space. The car is small enough and when you take out that small area you can't really fit much of anything back there.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM
chefrey

if you dyno mat the area behind the stock sub completely seeling it off, building false walls and basically building a box out of dyno mat you can put a jl10w6v2 in the stock location that will soud good. put dyno mat around the ring the bose sub attached to and the jl sub will drop in using the same mounting space. the only thing you will have to do is modify the cover to fit over the new sub.

i have done this in my own car and it sounds great, not perfect, but does the job very well keeping a stealth look and sounding good.
Attached Thumbnails Subbox in factory location-sub-1.jpg   Subbox in factory location-sub5.jpg   Subbox in factory location-sub4.jpg   Subbox in factory location-sub3.jpg   Subbox in factory location-sub2.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subbox in factory location