Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
hoss4131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
That's the same place I was planning on placing my iPod. Is there a way to run the cable inside that compartment without drilling out a hole for the wire to come through?
yup, when you pull out the little rubber mat, and remove the two screws holding the front lip on, there are some smalll holes right there, i have mine coming up through the passenger side right there

just make sure and tuck it as far towards the back as possible so it doesnt interfere with the door.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:24 PM
BlueBoxer

I think you will love the setup. I am running the Alpine with Polk SR's all around, the fronts in Nazars pods, and the rears mounted as coaxials. I tried going active with an RA50 for the fronts and a DLSA6 for my SR12 sub. I ended up going with just the 450/4 JL amp to run both sets of components and didn't notice a huge difference. Again, love the polks, I auditioned the Focal, JL ZR's, Bostons, and Rainbow. Couldn't get pass the all around good sound the Polks offered. I might of been tempted by DLS, but is is so hard to find someone who has them in person.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by BlueBoxer
I think you will love the setup. I am running the Alpine with Polk SR's all around, the fronts in Nazars pods, and the rears mounted as coaxials. I tried going active with an RA50 for the fronts and a DLSA6 for my SR12 sub. I ended up going with just the 450/4 JL amp to run both sets of components and didn't notice a huge difference. Again, love the polks, I auditioned the Focal, JL ZR's, Bostons, and Rainbow. Couldn't get pass the all around good sound the Polks offered. I might of been tempted by DLS, but is is so hard to find someone who has them in person.
Glad to hear you're liking the SR's. I wanted to audition some DLS speakers too but like you I didn't have the chance.

Also good to hear that the Polk crossovers are good enough to make the audible difference of going from active to passive minimal.

Originally Posted by hoss4341
yup, when you pull out the little rubber mat, and remove the two screws holding the front lip on, there are some smalll holes right there, i have mine coming up through the passenger side right there

just make sure and tuck it as far towards the back as possible so it doesnt interfere with the door.
Thanks for the info, that makes things a little easier.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-22-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Ge|atinousFury

lol I was about to order the Alpine KCE-300bt adapter so I could use my cell phone through my stereo but after reading the reviews of this unit on Crutchfield I think I'll stay about 1,000,000 miles away from that thing.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:55 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol I was about to order the Alpine KCE-300bt adapter so I could use my cell phone through my stereo but after reading the reviews of this unit on Crutchfield I think I'll stay about 1,000,000 miles away from that thing.
Yeah, i wouldnt get yet. It got one, then took it back. It has limited phones that can use all the fucntions. I have a blackberry and all i could use on it was the Handfree. No ID no address book, nothing.

Ill try to take a picture today of how my ipod and wires are mounted.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:12 AM
BlueBoxer

I think you will love the subwoofer as well. I have the twelve and it is almost over kill at times, I have it dialed in fairly low and it is very versatile in terms of all music types. In retrospect I may of gone with two tens instead, but might just go extra crazy and get another twelve in a custom sealed box for my next car. However, in a hatch it is absolutely awesome. My friend has two JL 10w6 in his RSX and prefers the sound of the single polk.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:17 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

might just go extra crazy and get another twelve in a custom sealed box for my next car. However, in a hatch it is absolutely awesome.
Two twelves? Who would do that?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will love the subwoofer as well. I have the twelve and it is almost over kill at times, I have it dialed in fairly low and it is very versatile in terms of all music types. In retrospect I may of gone with two tens instead, but might just go extra crazy and get another twelve in a custom sealed box for my next car. However, in a hatch it is absolutely awesome. My friend has two JL 10w6 in his RSX and prefers the sound of the single polk.
2 , 12" sealed might wanna do instead

1 each 15" ported at 35 hertz works well in the z

mine is crystral clear
low , and loud

i am fully roadkilled insultated the lows are unreal at 30 hertz were i am at but 35 is better versaltility all round
Old 11-23-2007, 02:04 PM
BlueBoxer

The two 12's would go in the WRX or STI I might pick up after the holidays. The single 12 is enough for me in the Z, but DVFlyer had to one up me with his 15. lol

Again, I think you will love the system. I have to put up pictures of my Polk install, but have been lazy the last couple months with work and then my surgery. Anyone who wants some quick pics of the setup can just IM me with their cell and I will send some quick snaps I took of it when I first got her done.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Ge|atinousFury

I found a super-good deal on a Velleman HPS10SE Oscilloscope complete with a carrying case, so that along with my multimeter takes care of equipment needed to find max unclipped volume of the W205 (I guess I'd be measuring that from the preouts on the H701?) and properly set the gains on the two PDX amps. Actually the oscope has a voltage readout on it as well so I probably won't even need my multimeter...

For anyone interested in a nice inexpensive oscope, here's the link:

Clicky

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-23-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
1sentra

I want to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me with the planning of my stereo thus far, and assure you all that there will be yet more questions to come along this learning experience. My goal is a SQ system and I believe I'll be extremely pleased with how it will sound once installed. Everything has been ordered and at this point, because this is my first installation of anything besides an amp and speakers, I'm in the process of getting all the wiring and connections straight in my head.

I enjoy home audio as well as car audio and for the past few years I've had a 5.1 home theater setup consisting of Polk LSi speakers. I absolutely love the sound of these speakers because I feel they offer a very smooth, non-fatiguing high-end without sacrificing detail. The low-end is exceptional as well, which is important because I primarily listen to heavy metal. I only say this because upon reading that the Polk SR6500 component speakers' design was based off the Polk LSi series speakers, I knew I'd found my new car speakers.

Here are the components which have all been ordered and are on the way now:

Ground Wire Upgrade in Engine Compartment: 0awg wire
-----I don't think many would argue with this upgrade. Less resistance in the return path = higher voltage at the amps. Nuff' said.

Vibration Isolation/Sound Absorption: Raamat and Ensolite
-----Nice products, very competitively priced
-----I will be applying Raamat as well as Ensolite to the doors as well as the hatch area.

Head Unit: Alpine IVA-W205
-----A very cool double-din unit which can control the PXA-H701 processor which I will be using in this install
-----Metra wiring harness and dash kit ordered as well
-----PAC TR-7 for video bypass
-----KCE-422i iPod cable for iPod control

Front Speakers: Polk Audio SR6500
-----Using Polk's passive crossovers, which are reportedly very nice

Kick Panels: Custom kicks by none other than Bing
-----After seeing his work and reading reports on the imaging improvements, I decided that they would be a must for my SQ install
-----Bing is taking advantage of the SR6500's optional coaxial configuration and is fabricating the kick panels for this mounting style

Front Speaker Amp: Alpine PDX 2.150
-----I want to mount as many components as I can on a removable rack in the glove compartment and I really liked the small footprint of the PDX amps, as well as their ability to fit perfectly together when stacked

Rear Fill: None (or the subwoofer, however you prefer to think of it)
-----When I solder the Metra harness's wires to the W205's wires, I will tape up the factory speaker wires so that they will not be connected

Subwoofer: Polk Audio SR104 10" subwoofer
-----Again, staying with the Polk SR series this time and all reports I've read state that this is an excellent SQ-oriented subwoofer. Reading this review of the Polk sub influenced my decision a bit as well.

Subwoofer Enclosure: Under-strut 1x10" enclosure from ZEnclosures
-----The polk SR104 subwoffer requires 0.78ft^3 of airspace for optimal operating conditions and the ZEnclosures under-strut box provides 0.80ft^3 of airspace which works out perfectly

Subwoofer Amp: Alpine PDX 1.600
-----Again, the small footprint and ability to be stacked wins points here. The Polk SR104 subwoofer is rated for 700w RMS so the power output of the Alpine matches up nicely.

Amplifier Wiring Kit: JL Audio 2 guage dual-amp wiring kit

Audio Processor: Alpine PXA-H701
-----I went back and forth on this issue but in the end I decided to include the H701 processor for the following reasons:
1. Important to have all the parametric EQ adjustments to help smooth out any peaks or dips in the frequency response
2. Ability to run a digital connection (optical) from the head unit to the glove box where the processor/amps are
3. Time Alignment

Tuning: Behringer mic along with TrueRTA software
-----Looking to achieve a relatively flat response with the EQ capability of the H701 and then tune to my liking from there, if at all

So, the SR6500's have been mailed to Bing to assist in fabrication of the kick panels and the rest of the equipment is in transit to me now from various vendors. I'm looking to apply the Raamat and Ensolite to the doors as well as the hatch area sometime in the next couple of weeks, and the actual installation will happen once I'm off work for Christmas. Even though it may be relatively simple for some, this is the most complex install I've attempted and I plan on it taking a few days. The Metra wiring harness as well as the W205 just arrived to my house so I'll more than likely be posting on here soon to verify that I'm planning the wiring connections correctly. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this and I've had a lot of fun planning all this out.

I'll be posting some pics when everything is installed, so stay tuned
hey i noticed you picked Alpine IVA-W205 headunit. This is a 2volt preamp output. i would recommend you get something with either 4-5volts preamp but if you already bought it then so be it.

also you are putting on an ipod cable to play ipod through the system but seeing as ipod compresses the songs when it uploads them, you will not have good quality sound coming from the source (ipod) that's why i try to stay away from ipods when dealing with SQ because no matter how good the system is, if youre ouputting a crap signal then youre going to play a crap signal.

hope that helps but if you already ordered everything then screw it just roll with it.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by 1sentra
hey i noticed you picked Alpine IVA-W205 headunit. This is a 2volt preamp output. i would recommend you get something with either 4-5volts preamp but if you already bought it then so be it.

also you are putting on an ipod cable to play ipod through the system but seeing as ipod compresses the songs when it uploads them, you will not have good quality sound coming from the source (ipod) that's why i try to stay away from ipods when dealing with SQ because no matter how good the system is, if youre ouputting a crap signal then youre going to play a crap signal.

hope that helps but if you already ordered everything then screw it just roll with it.
I have no MP3's; all my CD's are ripped losslessly onto my 80GB iPod.

Also, I won't be using the preouts on the W205 so it doesn't matter what voltage they are. I'll be running an optical cable to the H701 which has 4v preouts.

Thanks for lookin out though

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-23-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
hoss4131

and also, not to mention, but low pre-out voltage being a problem is somewhat of a misnomer
Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by hoss4131
and also, not to mention, but low pre-out voltage being a problem is somewhat of a misnomer
On that note, I don't know if the info is correct but I've read that the signal to noise ratio doesn't get low enough to make an audible difference until the preout voltage gets to about 1v and you have to start really cranking the gain...

Fortunately it doesn't matter (for my particular install) cuz the H701 has 4v preouts

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-23-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
1sentra

oh i skipped the sound processor.

in that case then youre golden.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Ge|atinousFury

I completed the 0awg ground wire upgrade yesterday. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I went ahead and did the 5-wire installation like on the 350z wiki...the extra grounding may or may not make a difference, but the extra cost was minimal and peace of mind is never a bad thing.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-25-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Another pic...just got the Polk SR104 subwoofer wired up and mounted in the ZEnclosures under-strut box. I'll definitely put a plug in for ZEnclosures as the build quality and the aesthetics of this box are absolutely phenomenal.

I went to Home Depot to get some black wood screws but they didn't have any. Being the steadfast (or stubborn?) person that I am I snagged some industrial strength enamel in a spray can and painted the heads of the screws before I installed them. I'm glad I did

On a side note, it's weird how much installation there is before you can actually get to the "install" of the stereo. Component layout, wiring templates, drilling sub box holes, mounting sub, soldering wiring harnesses, carpeting amp rack, etc. etc. It's all pretty fun though.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-25-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Finished the day up with the soldering/heatshrinking of the wiring harness along with the PAC TR-7. After taping up some wires that I will not be using in this install things look a bit more restrained.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
hoss4131

the big bundle of wires at the top (the parking brake ground and whatnot...) tie up all the wires in a similar fashion, and tape the bundle together.

keeping it tidy behind the dash is always nice .
Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by hoss4131
the big bundle of wires at the top (the parking brake ground and whatnot...) tie up all the wires in a similar fashion, and tape the bundle together.

keeping it tidy behind the dash is always nice .
Not sure I'm following you...the parking brake wire is in the taped up bundle at the top of the pic.

Are you saying to just take everything there and tape it up a bit so that there's less slack between the actual connectors?

Also, there's an entire Metra connector that I didn't even connect because it's just speaker wires.

Quick Reply: New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!