Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
hoss4131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
Are you saying to just take everything there and tape it up a bit so that there's less slack between the actual connectors?
yeah, i taped mine up just so i didnt have to deal with a big mess of wires, and cramming it all in back there. everything slides in and out like butter

neatness is always a nice touch, even if you cant see it
Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by hoss4131
yeah, i taped mine up just so i didnt have to deal with a big mess of wires, and cramming it all in back there. everything slides in and out like butter

neatness is always a nice touch, even if you cant see it
No doubt

I'll get some tape or cable ties and see how compact and neat I can get things.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Wiring part II has arrived....I ghetto'd it up with vast amounts of electrical tape but managed to compact it pretty good.

Since I want to use the factory ground behind the triple gauge cluster I'll probably need to extend the ground wire some.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-25-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
hoss4131

there ya go

shoulda cut that giant alpine fuse box off, but its all good

when it comes time to install it all and it slides right in because you dont have to shove any wires anywhere you will be glad you took the extra 20 seconds to clean it up
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 PM
hoss4131

BTW damn you for getting the new slim body TR7
Old 11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Ge|atinousFury

New question: Is there a way to remove the stock subwoofer mounting plate behind the drivers seat (you know, the one with the ~10" round hole) easily without removing too many of the interior panels?

As of today I've realized I'll need to mount at least the two Polk crossovers in there, and possibly the H701. I need that bracket gone and I don't want to disassemble most of the interior to get to it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
1sentra

nah player. you gotta take off all those plastics LOL.

my advise is that you gather a couple of things to do and then you take the plastics off to do all that list of things in one shot. think of it as the pre-prep.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by 1sentra
nah player. you gotta take off all those plastics LOL.

my advise is that you gather a couple of things to do and then you take the plastics off to do all that list of things in one shot. think of it as the pre-prep.
lol NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I really don't want to do all that.....I'll take another look at the mounting bracket and see if there's any way I can make a mounting plate that will fit through that hole.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
1sentra

don't take shortcuts man. you'll regret those later.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Ge|atinousFury

I agree. I also believe that as long as the hole gets enlarged one way or the other and the workmanship looks halfway respectable then it's fine with me, seeing as this will be behind a plastic panel anyways.

I just bought a big dremel accessory kit a couple of weeks ago and this is an excellent time to break out the heavy duty cutting blades that came in the kit (way more heavy duty than the normal dremel cutting blades). I can cut pretty much the entire metal part out that's showing once you remove the plastic cover panel. I'll round out the edges to look nice and clean and then I'll take a page from my computer modding days and put a rubber gasket around the exposed metal edge to create a nice finished look.

I'm thinking out loud here but in my head going this route will be a lot better than messing with all those interior panels. I just looked up the guide to removing those panels and have all but refused to go that route.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:46 PM
1sentra

so are you scared of removing the panels? or just lazy.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Ge|atinousFury

so are you scared of removing the panels? or just lazy.
Neither, just seems to me that cutting out a filleted rectangle and then applying some rubber molding would be a good idea. Dremeling of the hole won't take long at all...applying the molding will take even less time. And I don't have to remove that double-hump beast of a panel and the one below it. Some may feel differently, and that's fine.

I may change my mind tomorrow for all I know.

Behold the power of Microsoft Paint

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-25-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Ge|atinousFury

For the amp rack that will go in the glove box I just cut out a piece of wood to fit the glove box and then stapled some black automotive carpet on it. To give the PDX amps something more to bite into than just wood I installed some internally threaded rivets into the wood then screwed the amps down into the rivets. When I planned this out on paper I had the amps up at the front of the rack but when I test fitted it I didn't realize the glove box door shut at such a strong angle.....had to move the amps back for the door to have room to close correctly.

The H701 hasn't arrived yet so I don't even know if it's going to fit beside the amps or not. Actually, the issue isn't whether the H701 has room to fit on the rack because I know it will. The issue is whether there'll be enough room between the amps and the H701 for the H701's protuding wires (Ai-Net, optical, etc.). If there isn't room then I'll come up with a way to mount the H701 along with the 2 Polk crossovers in the driver's side compartment.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 PM
1sentra

make sure the *****/wires etc ends up facing the door of the compartment when mounted, otherwise its going to be a huge pita to tune it
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Ge|atinousFury

make sure the *****/wires etc ends up facing the door of the compartment when mounted, otherwise its going to be a huge pita to tune it
Yeah I was kind of worried about that but when the amps came in I found that the crossover/etc. adjustment ***** are behind the plates on the front of the amps so the mounting's alright.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to get OT, but how well do the PDX amps perform as opposed to others? They just seem really small for what they do, and seems like heat would be a bit of an issue as opposed to a larger amp with the same power output.

TK
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by T_K
Not to get OT, but how well do the PDX amps perform as opposed to others? They just seem really small for what they do, and seems like heat would be a bit of an issue as opposed to a larger amp with the same power output.

TK
I don't know the gory details but I do know that the PDX are being labeled as "highly efficient" which pretty much means that they can output the same wattage as a lesser efficient amp but do so with less heat generation.

That was one of my concerns until I started reading around on the forums and there were a lot of reports that the amps were staying relatively cool while in operation.

Edit: Found a bit of info from the Alpine website

Power On Demand
A combination of an advanced power supply, Class-D design, and switch-mode digital amplification allow PDX amplifiers to stay extremely efficient at all power levels. This produces less heat, eliminating the need for large heat sinks, just another reason why they can be much more compact than conventional amps.

The PDX amplifiers use Direct FETs device to make switch-mode digital possible. Direct FETs are very small output devices that take up less room and they switch on and off extremely fast when needed. Their ultra high-speed switching capabilities allow them to perform at frequencies that other Class-D amplifiers struggle to reproduce. This provides control over power consumption, and cooler operation.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-26-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
sirfatty

How are u feeding the wires to the amps in the glove box
Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by sirfatty
How are u feeding the wires to the amps in the glove box
The 2awg power wire will be ran down the passenger side under the carpet by the door sills. From there I'll have to take off the interior side panels and that will expose holes which allow the power wire to be routed straight into the glove box area.

The Ai-Net and optical cables will be routed down the center console which is a straight shot into that rear glove box/stock sub location area.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 11-27-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
sirfatty

are those same holes on the passanger side. im running the power down the passanger side and my rca's down the driver side or center console not quite sure yet

Quick Reply: New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!