Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

New SQ-oriented install coming soon, all components ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I need some help from you guys now. I've got everything installed except the front speakers.....which means I've got a full setup with 1 subwoofer for a speaker. The kicks will be delivered today but I'm just doing testing to make sure I get sound from the subwoofer.

Here's the problem:

I figured out that you had to actually turn the optical output to "ON" in the W205 settings for it to work. When I put in a CD and play it, the subwoofer works fine. However, when I swap to the iPod I don't hear any sound AT ALL coming from the subwoofer. I can navigate through the iPod settings on the W205 just fine so I know everything synced up and is connected properly.

All the sound is going through 1 optical cable to the H701 and I know it works because CD sound works. Why wouldn't the iPod sound work?????
Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Regarding my post above...

I called Alpine tech support and the guy I spoke to said all the analog sound was carried through the Ai-Net cable while the optical cable carried the digital signals. So that let me know that I didn't have to go back and add RCA cables to handle iPod audio. Also, since I didn't have FM sound or iPod sound, that meant there was something up with the Ai-Net cable. I went back and checked it out and I had plugged it into the wrong Ai-Net outlet on the H701 (the one labeled "cd changer").

Problem solved

Everything is now installed except for the kicks. When I recieve them it'll be a very quick installation!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM
sirfatty

how did the kicks turn out for you
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by sirfatty
how did the kicks turn out for you
I finished the "functional" part of the install yesterday and everything works perfectly. The PAC TR-7 is working and even with no tuning whatsoever yet the system sounds phenomenal. Also I can't say enough good things about Bing's workmanship on the kicks as well as how much improved the imaging is over the stock door locations.

I'm not at home right now but I did snap some quick pics today and I'll post them up later tonight.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-04-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
sirfatty

110% with u there i loved mine i got from him worth every penny
Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad things worked out for ya do you have it bi-amped?

b
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
glad things worked out for ya do you have it bi-amped?

b
They're not bi-amped as I'm running them off an Alpine PDX 2.150 (actual output something like 175x2) and, like I said in the previous post, even with no tuning whatsoever the SR6500's in your kicks are extremely accurate with excellent imaging. Tuning will start on Sunday.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Here are the pics I referred to earlier. This is still a work in progress but at this stage everything is functional. My goal isn't really to get the wiring pretty per se, but rather just clean it up a little. I still have the front plates off the PDX amps for fooling with gains and crossover settings as well. I'm super-glad that I drilled the holes back about 0.25" for the IVA-W205 because it looks a heck of a lot better when it sits more flush with the dash. The iPod is up in the cubby hole above the head unit.

So, the install phase is pretty much done....now begins the tuning phase. More to come on that.

Thanks to a lot of you guys here on the forums, this install went more smoothly than I could've hoped for

So far I'm very pleased with the results:

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-04-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
sirfatty

very nice. it is scary how close our installes truley were. im sure it sounds amazing
Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very neat and professional. Looks amazing! :-)
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
BabyZiLLa

I know this is asking alot. But any chance i could get measurements off you for the Racks you made for the compartments (glove/sub)

Would be much appreciated. Trying to get a head start on some of mine but the car is in storage.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
I know this is asking alot. But any chance i could get measurements off you for the Racks you made for the compartments (glove/sub)

Would be much appreciated. Trying to get a head start on some of mine but the car is in storage.
Sorry for the delay but I've been pretty busy starting off the new year. I'll see if I can get some measurements posted in the next couple of days.

This PXA-H701 has so many bands of equalization...it's a BEAST to tune but I love it. I ditched the whole "flat response" thing because after I tuned the system flat using a Behringer calibration mic and a RTA, I found the sound to be very dull and boring. Since my listening habits gravitate towards metal, I decided to go with the method of "the least equalization possible" and started by doing a RTA run of the new system with everything at +0 and then cut only the problem frequencies in the spectrum. This method worked much better, and I'm still constantly changing settings here and there every couple of days (by ear, not RTA).

So the mic + RTA is still indispensable, just not for flat EQ'ing though

It's really amazing how much kick panels contribute to good sound reproduction. It sounded so good when I hooked everything up that I was tempted to not even use the EQ on the H701 lol.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-21-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
Sorry for the delay but I've been pretty busy starting off the new year. I'll see if I can get some measurements posted in the next couple of days.

This PXA-H701 has so many bands of equalization...it's a BEAST to tune but I love it. I ditched the whole "flat response" thing because after I tuned the system flat using a Behringer calibration mic and a RTA, I found the sound to be very dull and boring. Since my listening habits gravitate towards metal, I decided to go with the method of "the least equalization possible" and started by doing a RTA run of the new system with everything at +0 and then cut only the problem frequencies in the spectrum. This method worked much better, and I'm still constantly changing settings here and there every couple of days (by ear, not RTA).

So the mic + RTA is still indispensable, just not for flat EQ'ing though

It's really amazing how much kick panels contribute to good sound reproduction. It sounded so good when I hooked everything up that I was tempted to not even use the EQ on the H701 lol.
Very nice install. Love your equipment choices. Flat responses are not for everyone. I would venture a guess to say the about 99% of the general public would think a system with a flat response sounds like POO!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Shyn

Install looks awesome, very clean. I was curious on where you picked up your mic and rta software. Any input would be grately appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by Shyn
Install looks awesome, very clean. I was curious on where you picked up your mic and rta software. Any input would be grately appreciated.
Thanks for the compliment. The software I used was TrueRTA, which can be purchased here. It can also be found on other places on the internet (if you're into that kind of stuff). The mic is a Behringer ECM8000 measurement microphone and works great. For the phantom power to the mic I used a M-Audio MobilePre USB Preamp. Be sure to have a XLR cable to connect the mic to the preamp.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 AM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Install. I have a similar one that I am planning and actually put in the order for the following yesterday:

Polk SR6500 Comps
PDX 4.100
Raammat Sound Deadener
Door pods from WickedCas

I am planning on running the sr6500's bi-amped. I know you have the 2.150 and 6.100 but does anyone have any idea if the 4.100 can be bridged for Ch 3&4 while running 150x2 for ch 1&2? I may go this route instead of bi-amping and run a sub off of 2 channels.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Renfri

This looks nice. I am in the middle of a similar install for a SQ vehicle.

With the WickedCas door pods, does these require any cutting of the door or fiberglassing to the door? I am looking for an easy way to mount my Morel mw166s and noticed that the speaker grill on the door is no bueno. Does the grill have to be cut out?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM
RollingRocker
Smart @$$

Nope no cutting or fiberglass required. There is a grill over the stock speakers that will pop out after you remove the door panels. You do have to drill holes through the door panel into the pod in order to attach them. You will also have to pull wire through the factory harness unless you use the factory speaker wires. That process is a royal pain in the ****. There is a good write up on it in the how to section.

Originally Posted by Renfri
This looks nice. I am in the middle of a similar install for a SQ vehicle.

With the WickedCas door pods, does these require any cutting of the door or fiberglassing to the door? I am looking for an easy way to mount my Morel mw166s and noticed that the speaker grill on the door is no bueno. Does the grill have to be cut out?

Last edited by RollingRocker; 02-11-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by geomark
Nice Install. I have a similar one that I am planning and actually put in the order for the following yesterday:

Polk SR6500 Comps
PDX 4.100
Raammat Sound Deadener
Door pods from WickedCas

I am planning on running the sr6500's bi-amped. I know you have the 2.150 and 6.100 but does anyone have any idea if the 4.100 can be bridged for Ch 3&4 while running 150x2 for ch 1&2? I may go this route instead of bi-amping and run a sub off of 2 channels.
If you are interested in bi-amping, the JL Audio 450/4 is a very good amp for it. Two channels at 150 watts each, and 2 channels at 75 watts. I use the the 150 w channels for the mid bass, and the 75w for the tweets, on my Boston Acoustics Z6's. Sounds great!