Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

DIY Custom kickpanels

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:24 AM
MSGarrett1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Custom kickpanels

OK, so I have been living with my audio system for several weeks now, and I just wasn't completely satisfied. I felt my staging lacked midrange and clarity. I took my car back to my installer and they recommended that I simply remove the Diamond Hex 600s from the door location and replace them with a set of Focal Polykevlar 6 inch K2's. I wasn't happy with this recommendation. The Diamond Hex's with the silk tweeters sounded great on the sound board, (as did the Focals, with some differences). I just didn't see how replacing one set of 6" components that sounded good in the sound room with another set of 6" components that sounded good in the sound room was going to fix the problem.

My thoughts were that it had everything to do with the fact that my tweeters are in the factory sailpanel location and the 6" is in the factory door location (2+ feet apart from one another). I knew there would be many risks associated with separating the two components--phasing concerns, etc. So instead of start completely over I decided to build a pair of custom kickpanels for a pair of Focal 5" Polykevlar components, and to run them in parallel with the Diamonds off the same two front channels of the JL 500/5. 100 watts RMS to the Diamonds and the Focals, in parallel with eachother. Since the Focals are a bit more efficient, they will (and do) play a little louder than the Diamonds, but I must say overall I am very happy with the results. The kickpanels are giving me the imaging and midrange I want, and the Diamonds are giving me some bass up front and the Diamond silk tweeters in the sail panels (set to -2db) are raising the sound stage just enough that the vocals sound as if they are in front of me--not at my feet.

So here are some pics--finished product and the how to get there.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-diver-s.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:25 AM
MSGarrett1

Here's the passenger's side all finished
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-passenger-s.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:28 AM
MSGarrett1

Here's how I got there . . . I started with some 1/2 inch MDF from Home Depot, and measured and drew the speaker panels--two layers for each side to accomodate the depth of the grill/speaker for a surface/flush mount.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:31 AM
MSGarrett1

Next, I cut each part out with a scroll saw, and the help of a drill to get the saw started in the inner holes. Glue the tops to the bottoms with wood glue and clamps, and let dry 24 hrs.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-2.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:33 AM
MSGarrett1

Above is the view from underneath. Here's a view from the top.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-3.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:36 AM
MSGarrett1

Next, you want to glue the speaker panels to the kickpanels with some appropriate spacers. This will take some measuring and sanding/chimmying to get the angles the way you want them. Ultimately you want the speakers aimed toward the center of the vehicle and up. (I recommend you point them at the dome light).
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
MSGarrett1

OK next is the FUN/ INCREDIBLY F***ING messy part. You need a few cans of this stuff. (Fiberglass bondo) I bought at Home Depot.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:38 AM
MSGarrett1

Forgot to attach pic . . .
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-bondo.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:42 AM
MSGarrett1

OK you mix this stuff with the accelerator/hardener that comes with it, and then you have about 10-15 minutes to work with it before it becomes solid. This stuff is MESSY. I cannot overemphasize this. I have a shed in the back of my house with a large workbench I used for this whole project. If you do not have such a place . . . just make sure you are far away from anything you don't want permanently fiberglassed.

Spackel the stuff in the gaps . . . let completely set overnight, and then Sand, Sand, Sand, until as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-5.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:43 AM
MSGarrett1

Here's a close up after the fiberglass bondo and hours of sanding.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-6.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
MSGarrett1

Next finish the surface however you like. You can gel coat if you have skills/experience in this area. You can have it professionally painted to match your Z's color. You can glue vinyl to it. (If you do I recommend a vinyl spray glue--it comes in a large spray paint-like can).

Here's what I did. First I took the fuse box panel cover from the driver's side kick panel to Home Depot. I had them make me some paint to match this color. They have a computer color scanner thing to do this--no charge. Just pay for the paint.

Then I bought this can of "Stone Accents" stuff from Home Depot. It comes in a spray paint can, but when you spray it . . . it comes out textured--like stone. It dries in 15 minutes, like spray paint, but it dries harder than paint. I like it. I used it once before to stone accent a teracota pot for this large plant. Anyway, after that I just painted over it with the color-matched paint. Don't use a paint brush--you'll get brush strokes. If you have an air brush--use that. If not, then Home Depot also sells these spray guns--in the spray paint section of the store. They are exactly like using cans of spray paint, only there's a little glass bottle at the bottom that you fill with whatever paint you like. You'll have to dilute the paint 50/50 to get a good result. If you're using latex paint--50% water 50% paint. Some experience using spray paint helps get a good result--several light coats -- not one heavy one. You don't want drips!!!
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-7.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:55 AM
MSGarrett1

Some close ups of the kickpanels.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-9.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 AM
MSGarrett1

This is supposed to show the color match between the stock plastic and the paint.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-kickpanel-10.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
dmazyn

Yea, my installer said kicks were the way to go. I have the Focal Utopia 3 way system with the 6" in the door and the 4" and tweet in the kicks. I get the car back today so I don't know how they sound yet. Here are some pics of the kicks.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-101-0126_img.jpg  

Last edited by dmazyn; 06-05-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
dmazyn

Here is one of the driver side:
Attached Thumbnails DIY Custom kickpanels-101-0128_img.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 11:06 AM
MSGarrett1

Very nice . . . painted Daytona Blue to match your Z . . . me likey!
Old 06-05-2003, 02:15 PM
MSGarrett1

Stuck it where? Or to what?
Old 06-06-2003, 03:00 AM
tonkadog

This is truely insane!! By far, the best thread on my350Z.com. Great work and good photos for the step by step.

Now that you have the kicks installed, do you find that there is plenty of room for your feet? Or do you find that the kicks get in the way when trying to use the pedals? I know this will vary depending on what speakers you use (mounting depth and all), but just some general ideas. Also, I'd be interested to see how they wear in the next couple of months - not so much scuffs, but cracking, due to the bouncy ride of the car. And the most important question of all - how does it sound???

Now you got me thinking again!!!!

Last edited by tonkadog; 06-06-2003 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:55 AM
MSGarrett1

As for the sound -- they sound incredible. The rigidity of the fiberglass bondo really makes for a solid speaker panel.

As far as foot room--I have no problem with pedal room, but to use the "chrome foot rest" to the left of the clutch, you have to slide you foot once it's behind the clutch. You can't just slide your foot over from the top of the clutch as I did before. So I've been resting my left foot underneath the clutch.

Passenger has plenty of foot room.

I doubt there will be any cracking issues. From dealing with these materials--they are SOLID. but i do think there will be the inevitable surface scuff/scratch.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:29 AM
dmazyn

I agree with MSGarrett1, there is room to use the petals but moving your foot to the foot rest will take some time to get used to.

As for the sound on the utopia's all I have to say is "Holy F##K" these things rock. There is an issue with my sub amp so there is no sub right now, but the mid bass in the kicks is just amazing.

Quick Reply: DIY Custom kickpanels