Bass Link installed in Factory Space! - Page 3 - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 06-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #41
icepop456

Quote:
Originally posted by Zsilverstone13
icepop456,
Do you have the BOSE system? I saw the picture post in this thread http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=22697
and I did not see any hook. Not sure if the hook already been taken out. I guess I will find out this weekend. If there is too much work, I will probably just put the basslink in trunk instead.

No Bose system for me. I have a Performance model. I think I have an easy work around. I wedge the basslink toward the back under those metal hooks. Then I just used two of the mounting brackets to secure it in the front. It looks like there's a 1inch gap between the bottem metal in that compartment and something below (gas tank?). So I carefully drilled two holes for the screws. Seems to be rock solid. I also left the rubber mat in there which keeps the sub rom any direct metal contact...should keep down the rattling. I have not reassembled my car yet, but so far no rattles and I have not dynomatted the crap out of it like everyone else has. I did by some fatmat incase i need it.

Tim
icepop456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:25 AM   #42
joust75

Quote:
Originally posted by icepop456
No Bose system for me. I have a Performance model. I think I have an easy work around. I wedge the basslink toward the back under those metal hooks. Then I just used two of the mounting brackets to secure it in the front. It looks like there's a 1inch gap between the bottem metal in that compartment and something below (gas tank?). So I carefully drilled two holes for the screws. Seems to be rock solid. I also left the rubber mat in there which keeps the sub rom any direct metal contact...should keep down the rattling. I have not reassembled my car yet, but so far no rattles and I have not dynomatted the crap out of it like everyone else has. I did by some fatmat incase i need it.

Tim
Let me know how that works out for you. I would love to know if all that dynamatting was necessary or not. good luck to you!
joust75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 AM   #43
icepop456

After putting the car back together, I have no rattles. I used absolutely zero dynamat. I'm very impressed. I'm sure I'll get a rattle later on the down the road as parts of the car loosen up, but for now everything is good.

Well, I do have one minor rattle. The block that has the window controls on both doors seems to have a minor rattle. I'm going to try to get my hands on some of that foam tape to make the connection to the door more tight.

Otherwise, the basslink has to be the easiest mod. Simply use two of the brackets and install it like you have. Instead of to the top, screw it to the bottom and leave the rubber mat there so that the sub doesn't vibrate on the metal. More than enough bass for me.

Tim
Old 07-04-2003, 06:57 AM   #44
Stone Z

Question

icepop456

Can you post some pics?
Stone Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #45
joust75

Good for you!! But I dont know about for me. Now I am wondering if the dynamatt is preventing me from getting the full amount of bass I am entitled too!

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #46
Mr.Blue

Hey Jules,

I really doubt that you are losing some bass b/c of the Dynamat. If anything the dynamat will seal up rattles as oppossed to not having any. Its good to know that we can choose to use Dynamat or not. The bottom line is that you are happy with your Basslink and you took the leap foward and had it installed. Dont sweat it too much. I will be doing my install just like yours in a few weeks. I already have dynamat, so I will most likely use it for a little extra piece of mind.
Mr.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:13 AM   #47
meatwad79

for those who have installed their basslink in the trunk space rather than in the bose compartment, are you happy with the sound? any rattles? easy installation? etc...
im thinking of going this way rather than mounting it inside that compartment incase i want to have it removed easily, plus i ordered the basslink x which is supposed to light up and stuff, so i want to see if its worth exploring with the idea of just keeping it in the trunk space.
meatwad79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #48
jhchan

Ok here's a stupid question... I don't have my Z yet its on order. But, with the sub in the stock location is there too much vibration in the drivers seat? Say if you were on a multi hour trip would it get too annoying with the constant thumping behind you? Thanks.
jhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #49
joust75

No.
It doesnt bother me. The bass is real clean anyway. The only thing you are feeling is the music. The bass is pretty much distributed evenly throughout the cockpit. Sitting in the passenger seat, I feel the same amount of bass that I do in the driver seat. Not anoying at all. Pure enjoyment!
Old 07-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #50
350z4steve

Quote:
Originally posted by joust75
No.
It doesnt bother me. The bass is real clean anyway. The only thing you are feeling is the music. The bass is pretty much distributed evenly throughout the cockpit. Sitting in the passenger seat, I feel the same amount of bass that I do in the driver seat. Not anoying at all. Pure enjoyment!
will the basslink work well with the stock head unit? anyone have experience with this..im just considering changing all the speakers out and adding the sub..wondering if its enough power and how much better this will sound over stock system.any thoughts?

oh also what is a good 6.5 " speaker replacement for the Z
350z4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 PM   #51
icepop456

Quote:
Originally posted by 350z4steve
will the basslink work well with the stock head unit? anyone have experience with this..im just considering changing all the speakers out and adding the sub..wondering if its enough power and how much better this will sound over stock system.any thoughts?

oh also what is a good 6.5 " speaker replacement for the Z
In my opinion, the stock head unit is as crappy as the speakers. The sound is very uneven. After installing my kappa's i had to turn the trebble all the way down to -5. There was a lack of mid-range and the bass seemed to be missing. There's a chance I had some of the polarity of the speakers out of wack which would hurt the sound. When I installed my Alpine head unit, the sound quality went WAY up. Much more than it really should considering an amp should not be too too difficult to design for a stock head unit.

The basslink can work off of the headunit as it has high level speaker inputs. I'm not sure how well it will work because the rear stock speakers are crap and you may have to turn down the back's volume if you replace those. In that case, the basslink would only be connected to rear speakers and therefore the fade control would impact the signal to the basslink.

I'll post pics of my setup this weekend. Although it took me like 10 days to do, it really wasn't any more than like 15 hours. I took my time and only worked then it wasn't very sunny or too hot/humid. It also took a few hours to figure out how to do things.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #52
350z4steve

Okay thanks for those comments..still working with some ideas not sure what I ll do yet..just dont want something better than stock which shouldnt be to hard to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally posted by icepop456
In my opinion, the stock head unit is as crappy as the speakers. The sound is very uneven. After installing my kappa's i had to turn the trebble all the way down to -5. There was a lack of mid-range and the bass seemed to be missing. There's a chance I had some of the polarity of the speakers out of wack which would hurt the sound. When I installed my Alpine head unit, the sound quality went WAY up. Much more than it really should considering an amp should not be too too difficult to design for a stock head unit.

The basslink can work off of the headunit as it has high level speaker inputs. I'm not sure how well it will work because the rear stock speakers are crap and you may have to turn down the back's volume if you replace those. In that case, the basslink would only be connected to rear speakers and therefore the fade control would impact the signal to the basslink.

I'll post pics of my setup this weekend. Although it took me like 10 days to do, it really wasn't any more than like 15 hours. I took my time and only worked then it wasn't very sunny or too hot/humid. It also took a few hours to figure out how to do things.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #53
350z4steve

Quote:
Okay thanks for those comments..still working with some ideas not sure what I ll do yet..just dont want something better than stock which shouldnt be to hard to accomplish.

meaning I want something worthwhile if im going to have to replace the head unit as well without spending a ton to do it. if that makes sense.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:40 AM   #54
joust75

Quote:
meaning I want something worthwhile if im going to have to replace the head unit as well without spending a ton to do it. if that makes sense.
I got a Sony Explode HU for 200 bux @ circuit City. Its trim matches the Z perfectly. (Silver and grey) It is XM capable has 50 watts per channel. It also has a subwoofer level adjuster. The install kit even gave me a much needed cubby under the deck!
Not one person who has been in my car has not commented on how cool the stereo looks. Worth every penny IMO
Old 07-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #55
mjlangsam

Quote:
Originally posted by meatwad79
for those who have installed their basslink in the trunk space rather than in the bose compartment, are you happy with the sound? any rattles? easy installation? etc...
im thinking of going this way rather than mounting it inside that compartment incase i want to have it removed easily, plus i ordered the basslink x which is supposed to light up and stuff, so i want to see if its worth exploring with the idea of just keeping it in the trunk space.
I mounted mine in the back and it was quite easy. I really liked the sound but just felt I needed a bit more bass but thats becasue of the style of music I listen to. I got another basslink after putting a cheap bid on ebay -dang it- and installed it yesterday oppsite the other one. Now there is absolutely no room on the back but oh well. It sounds unbelievable. There are no rattles or squeaks, plus using the time correction on the Alpine HU helps. Trying to get that thing in the stock space won't be easy.
mjlangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:18 PM   #56
Stone Z

Quote:
Originally posted by mjlangsam
plus using the time correction on the Alpine HU helps.
What are your settings for Time Correction and Bass Focus?
Stone Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #57
icepop456

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone Z
What are your settings for Time Correction and Bass Focus?
I have an alpine HU and I don't set those. It is like too perfect. It kind of freaked me out to have everything centered properly. I'm so used to a car's acoustics that anything different sounds worse.

Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #58
mjlangsam

LF 2.8
LR 2.2
RF .8
RR 1.3

I faded toward the front +4. I'm still messing with it. Never did actually do the measurement like they said in the manual. I think it sounds great like this.

I agree though it is difficult to get used to.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:23 PM   #59
meatwad79

Quote:
Originally posted by mjlangsam
I mounted mine in the back and it was quite easy. I really liked the sound but just felt I needed a bit more bass but thats becasue of the style of music I listen to. I got another basslink after putting a cheap bid on ebay -dang it- and installed it yesterday oppsite the other one. Now there is absolutely no room on the back but oh well. It sounds unbelievable. There are no rattles or squeaks, plus using the time correction on the Alpine HU helps. Trying to get that thing in the stock space won't be easy.
did you install yourself? if so how hard was it? did you just hook it up to the hu+battery and ground, or did you hook it up to the speakers at all.
if you had it done, was it pricey?
meatwad79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #60
mjlangsam

It was really easy to install, but like I said it takes up a lot of room in the back. If you were to installl it stealth like (in the stock location) that would be hard. They are hidden if you put them all the way in the back so passers by can't really see them. I have an Alpine 7984 which has a sub output, so I just RCA jacked straight to the back under the console between the seats, through a little hole in the stock sub location. Ran the power straight to the battery following the directions of the link's on this site. Grounded them separately too, there's places in the back to do it, especially right behind the rear speakers, lots of holes and bolts.