Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Blog: Upgrade to full active front stage & more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
dtak59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know how that silver flute woofer is. It looks really nice, but I want to know how it sounds. I was debating going the diy route, and the silver flutes are right in my price range. I like the looks, I like the specs, and I like the materials...all I need to know is how they sound. I was thinking about pairing those up with the cheaper Seas 27TFFNC/G tweeter. Should only cost me about 150 shipped.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by dtak59
Let me know how that silver flute woofer is. It looks really nice, but I want to know how it sounds. I was debating going the diy route, and the silver flutes are right in my price range. I like the looks, I like the specs, and I like the materials...all I need to know is how they sound. I was thinking about pairing those up with the cheaper Seas 27TFFNC/G tweeter. Should only cost me about 150 shipped.
Will do, hopefully I'll get the mids and tweets ordered in the next week or so. I will probably drop them into a 2-way monitor I have at home to test them out. They come very highly recommended from the DIY car audio community and they were inexpensive enough for me to give them a shot without auditioning first. As for the tweets, I have always loved the sound and warmth of Seas fabric domes.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Looks like things are shaping up for this to be an awesome build, but your current audio system is no slouch either

I was just reading on the Tymphany page you linked to and I find it very interesting that the subwoofer motors are mounted in such a way that structural vibrations are cancelled out. After reading the Car Audio & Electronics review that you linked to, I'm very anxious to hear what Tympany's response is to your enclosure volume questions. It seems that the Alpine enclosure used to house the Tymphany linear array was very much optimized by Whise Automotive's computer modeling programs:

Originally Posted by CA&E Review
The Ultra Reflex alignment could be considered to be an over-tuned bandpass, but with the distinct differences of having wide bandwidth, minimal group delay and a rising response. This poses some significant challenges to achieving an optimally flat response, requiring a lot of power and control where it counts (both motor structure and amplifier) as well as careful management of system resonances and velocities. PAM was used extensively to calculate the optimum changes in cross-sectional area as well as position and size of stubs (dead end chambers). In total, everything in loudspeaker or enclosure design is a series of tradeoffs, but achieving a balance that actually sounds great vs. looking good on paper is where the black art comes in ... we built a lot of prototypes.
After reading this I wonder how feasible it is to use these Tymphany subwoofer arrays in normal subwoofer boxes (without modification), but I'm sure Tymphany tech support will steer you in the right direction. Have you heard back from them yet? As with all things of this nature, a little more research up-front like you're doing will contribute to a very nice outcome

Keep the updates coming!

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-21-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 AM
StreetOC192

I am very intrigued actually at the fact that the 2 motor structures working against each other canceling out structural vibrations. This has long been a quest for hardcore SQ installs. I have seen sub enclosures encased in concrete in the back of a car for just this purpose. Imagine the weight that must add!!! Any vibration you feel is from the air being moved by the sub and not the motor structure.

I plan to stuff a Zenclosures under strut box (which is shipping out today ) with about 3/4 lb of acousta-stuff. If I need more apparent volume than that I will drill a 6" hole in one side and install an aperiodic vent. This vent won't be visible since it will be on the hidden side of the enclosure.

Here is a link to the response curve they sent me for the LAT500 in a 1.0 cu ft box. Madisound said with the cabin gain of the car, I should see a good response well down to 30Hz before any significant drop off occurs. I am very excited at the efficiency of this unit. What 10" sub has a sensitivity of 92dB?!?!?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...dio/Slide1.gif

The LAT500 is due to arrive via UPS tomorrow, so I will be sure to get some pics up here, as well as give my opinions on the build quality.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-21-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I am very intrigued actually at the fact that the 2 motor structures working against each other canceling out structural vibrations. This has long been a quest for hardcore SQ installs. I have seen sub enclosures encased in concrete in the back of a car for just this purpose. Imagine the weight that must add!!! Any vibration you feel is from the air being moved by the sub and not the motor structure.

I plan to stuff a Zenclosures under strut box (which is shipping out today ) with about 3/4 lb of acousta-stuff. If I need more apparent volume than that I will drill a 6" hole in one side and install an aperiodic vent. This vent won't be visible since it will be on the hidden side of the enclosure.

Here is a link to the response curve they sent me for the LAT500 in a 1.0 cu ft box. Madisound said with the cabin gain of the car, I should see a good response well down to 30Hz before any significant drop off occurs. I am very excited at the efficiency of this unit. What 10" sub has a sensitivity of 92dB?!?!?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...dio/Slide1.gif

The LAT500 is due to arrive via UPS tomorrow, so I will be sure to get some pics up here, as well as give my opinions on the build quality.
That is an impressive response curve. Did they give you any other details on the box other than volume (e.g. sealed, ported, etc.)?

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-21-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
That is an impressive response curve. Did they give you any other details on the box other than volume (e.g. sealed, ported, etc.)?
That response curve is just a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure. The Zenclosures is a .75 cu ft sealed, so I need to fill or ap vent it to make it 'appear' larger.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Ge|atinousFury

That response curve is just a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure. The Zenclosures is a .75 cu ft sealed, so I need to fill or ap vent it to make it 'appear' larger.
Sweet! There's my answer about the unique enclosure then...looks like it'll work just fine in normal enclosures as well. You definitely have to post pics of the finished product!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM
gr8scott_o

Any reason that LAT500 wouldn't fit in the factory bose sub location?

And yes, I know everyone will say it sounds like crap, but humor me. Will it physically fit? Obviously, I will fab up a box to hold it.

I did some searching, and it seems like dimensions of the LAT500 are a hair over 16 inches long, 5.75 inches high and 7.25 inches wide(converted mm to inches off this drawing - http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF...5d4ca72eb1ecc).

According to statements others have made, that space is roughly 12 X 18 inches (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/289457-subbox-in-factory-location-3.html). I have not measured it myself, but if anyone knows exact dims I would love to have them.

StreetOC192, can you confirm for me once it arrives? Also, could you post for the forum what Tymphony said about the enclosure size and specs?

Thanks! Following this install with interest
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by gr8scott_o
Any reason that LAT500 wouldn't fit in the factory bose sub location?

And yes, I know everyone will say it sounds like crap, but humor me. Will it physically fit? Obviously, I will fab up a box to hold it.

I did some searching, and it seems like dimensions of the LAT500 are a hair over 16 inches long, 5.75 inches high and 7.25 inches wide(converted mm to inches off this drawing - http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF...5d4ca72eb1ecc).

According to statements others have made, that space is roughly 12 X 18 inches (https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289457&page=3). I have not measured it myself, but if anyone knows exact dims I would love to have them.

StreetOC192, can you confirm for me once it arrives? Also, could you post for the forum what Tymphony said about the enclosure size and specs?

Thanks! Following this install with interest
As for the LAT being used in the stock location, I think it would suffer from the same fate that a traditional cone subwoofer would in that location. You won't be taking the advantage of cabin gain that the hatch offers you. But physically, I think you could construct a sealed 1cf enclosure and the unit itself would fit in the opening. I will try to get a pic of this for you, holding the unit in the opening.

My UPS guy doesn't hit my house usually until around 6pm. It is 'out for delivery' so it should be here tonight.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
StreetOC192

OK, it's here!!! The LAT500 has arrived. First, pics:

Front (big ballin' style )

Front

Rear

Rear magnet - it's pretty beefy

Impressions:
Not very heavy. It weighs in around 18 pounds. This could help with weight savings of those performance minded Z owners. Figure your average high end sub weighs in around 30-40 pounds. And if this thing really does have the impact of TWO 10" subs, you are talking about some serious weight savings. I knew from reading the description, that it was housed in plastic, not metal. But this is some high quality plastic. If I didn't know any better I would swear it was aluminum. The front is a very tasteful and clean silver and black. You can see the rods through the frame, but you have to really look inside to see the diaphragms or cones. They appear to be of a polypropylene or similar material with butyl rubber surrounds. Very nicely assembled.

Turn it over to the back, and you will see that the flange has preapplied closed cell foam sealant. And some beefy magnet structures for pushing such small cones. Each motor has it's own set of spring loaded binding posts, gold plated of course.

Even if this unit only produces the output of ONE 10" sub, i think it might still be worth the money for the "I'm different than everyone else" factor.

It will definitely fit (physically) in the opening of the stock sub location if one was so inclined to attempt it.

My partsexpress order will be delivered tomorrow and my Zenclosure is due for delivery on Thursday. I'm hoping this weekend I can get this puppy up and running. I'm suffering without any substage in my car since I already sold my Diamond sub and box to a fellow member.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
gr8scott_o

OK, it's here!!! The LAT500 has arrived. It will definitely fit (physically) in the opening of the stock sub location if one was so inclined to attempt it.
Thanks Street!

So, is this designed to be mounted INSIDE the box completely like the Alpine version I see? Or, is it supposed to sit on the surface like a traditional sub?

Let us know how it sounds!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Ge|atinousFury

+10000000 on the unique factor

Now that I see your pics of it I'm really starting to like the aesthetics it presents. If it sounds half as good as it looks you'll be good to go!

If you have a spare moment sometime, could you please snap some pics of the actual rod connections? I'd definitely like to learn more about that. Thanks!

Edit: I see there's 2 versions of the LAT500...did you get the 8-ohm (parallel) or 4-ohm (parallel) model? I would guess you got the 4-ohm version but just wondering.

Last edited by Ge|atinousFury; 01-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Ge|atinousFury

Thanks Street!

So, is this designed to be mounted INSIDE the box completely like the Alpine version I see? Or, is it supposed to sit on the surface like a traditional sub?

I believe it mounts on the surface of the box, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I assume you just have to cut a rectangular hole out of the front of the box, pre-drill for the 20 mounting holes, apply some kind of seal to the mounting surface and then screw it in.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be curious to see how the silver flute sounds, i just dot hage much faith in a company trhat makes stuff out of mianland china hehe, i walked by their booth a bunch of times at CES, but noting really caught my eye...just seemed like another chinese manufacturer of questionably quality hehe...but let me know how it goes

b

b
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 AM
StreetOC192

Thanks Street!

Alpine uses the LAT transducer in a bandpass box design, I am using it in a sealed enclosure, so it will be sitting mounted on the surface like a traditional sub.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
+10000000 on the unique factor

Now that I see your pics of it I'm really starting to like the aesthetics it presents. If it sounds half as good as it looks you'll be good to go!

If you have a spare moment sometime, could you please snap some pics of the actual rod connections? I'd definitely like to learn more about that. Thanks!

Edit: I see there's 2 versions of the LAT500...did you get the 8-ohm (parallel) or 4-ohm (parallel) model? I would guess you got the 4-ohm version but just wondering.
I did get the 4ohm parallel version. I will try to get some inside pics if I can. I am no photographer and might not be able to get clean pics, but I'll try.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-23-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:03 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i would be curious to see how the silver flute sounds, i just dot hage much faith in a company trhat makes stuff out of mianland china hehe, i walked by their booth a bunch of times at CES, but noting really caught my eye...just seemed like another chinese manufacturer of questionably quality hehe...but let me know how it goes

b

b
Bing, I understand your hesitance. They surely aren't the only speaker company that produces their products in China. But I would think it is because of this that they are so darn affordable. Like I said, I did a lot of research on matching the tweets and mids, and the Silver Flutes came very highly recommended by a lot of people. They are a favorite amongst the DIY car audio crowd. I figured they are inexpensive enough where if I don't like them, nothing really lost. I would love to get the ScanSpeak Revelators but at $200+ each it's a bit rich for me right at this moment in time.

Here's a list of some of the bigger names in high end driver manufacturing...several actually are made in China:
http://www.solen.ca/v1/driver.htm

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-23-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 AM
StreetOC192

gr8scott_o
I tried to get a pic of me holding the sub over the stock OEM subwoofer cubby cover, but it's too difficult. In order for me to get a wide enough angle to carture the whole thing I need to hold the camera by the windshield but then I cant see what it's aiming at. If I can get another pair of hands to help me I'll get your pic. But it will indeed fit physically in the opening.

Ge|atinousFury
Here is the best pic out of four that I took trying to show the rods and one of the diaphragms:

There are 3 rods per set of diaphragms. Each diaphragm looks to be very rigid and from what I can tell, pretty light. This combined with the motor vibration cancellation and the high sensitivity rating should make for a rather high SQ driver.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
StreetOC192

OK, got home and found a nice big package delivered by DHL. It was my Zenclosures under strut box. Mike was nice enough to make me a box with NO hole cut in it. Well I was going to wait until this weekend, but......yeah right

First I taped the entire front off with blue painter's tape. This provided a nice surface to line out the rectangle I needed to cut. It also kept the carpeting nice while cutting with the jig saw. Once this was cut and the LAT500 fit snugly I soldered the speaker wire to the terminal cup. I would normally just run 'jumpers' to wire in parallel on a traditional dual voice coil sub. The very slight and never noticeable time delay (if there even is any that can be measured) is no big deal. HOWEVER, since the jumpers would be longer than usual and the diaphragms have to work in complete opposites, I ran 2 separate and equal lengths of speaker wire from the terminal cup to each motor. Call me paranoid and I know it's mostly marketing hype, but I bought some 11awg Monster Cable with Time Alignment technology from PartsExpress. I then proceeded to fluff up a little over 1/2 lb. of AcoustaStuff. It filled in the box nicely. This is my first time using this brand, I usually just use polyfill, but this AcoustaStuff is pretty nice stuff. Nice long strands so you don't have to worry about little particles getting into the motor structure (like fiberglass can). Then I secured the sub into the enclosure, being careful to torque each screw the same (using the clutch on my screw gun set to 10 out of 24). they seemed to me to be tight enough. I will monitor to make sure I have no leaks. Then I dropped the box into the hatch, hooked up the wire from my amp which was very patiently waiting. I snapped some pics and took a little listen........
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
StreetOC192

Here are installed pics (sorry it's dark outside):

Quick Reply: Blog: Upgrade to full active front stage & more...