Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree. You can often find the best prices by buying the components from different sources. eBay is the easiest place to compare prices when shopping.

But, here’s the caveat. Many of the sellers on eBay are not authorized dealers. That means you don’t get a factory warranty, and there may be other missing support features. Here is an example I can provide from personal experience:

I purchased a Garmin GVN 52 Navigation Black Box from an eBay store. The price was very attractive. But, I soon discovered that the seller was not an authorized dealer and I did not receive the required product registration document in the box. In fact the product I purchased was new (not refurbished), and it was a return that ended up in the hands of a non-authorized seller. That meant I was unable to register the navigation device with Garmin, and that registration was needed to download some of Garmin’s software and firmware updates. Mercifully Garmin was kind and after a couple of emails back and forth, Garmin provided the product registration allowing me to register the product and download software enhancements and corrections.

I believe we have sponsors on my350z.com who are authorized Kenwood dealers who sell the products at a good price-point.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 02-26-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM
kmg3773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is really good information. I currently have a drivesoft Unit in my lower din and a touch lcd screen in the uppper cubby. Its like a dual monitor set up with navigation/dvd's running on the top screen and all of the radio, xm/sirius dvd. windows xp, and high def radio controls on the bottom. It is pretty good picture. If any body needs information on this set-up i can let you know about it..
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

I really like this set up..its clean and not cumbersome...what type of amp would you power this set up with..would you stay with Kenwood or go with another brand??
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
I really like this set up..its clean and not cumbersome...what type of amp would you power this set up with..would you stay with Kenwood or go with another brand??
The really great feature of the KOS system is that you can install this without sacrificing any of your current components (including your stock H/U).

You can certainly install a Kenwood external amp, but that isn’t a requirement since just about any external amp will work with the KOS system.

--Spike
Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Black Spider

I just wanted to throw in a few more questions here for the dual screen setup:

1) Would the pac-oem2 adapter be needed? I've heard of people losing sound quality in their stock speakers for other systems without it.

2) Could a steering wheel adapter also be used for this set up?

3) What would be a good choice for adding bluetooth to this system?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

great questions..lol
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Spider
I just wanted to throw in a few more questions here for the dual screen setup:

1) Would the pac-oem2 adapter be needed? I've heard of people losing sound quality in their stock speakers for other systems without it.

2) Could a steering wheel adapter also be used for this set up?

3) What would be a good choice for adding bluetooth to this system?
These are the answers to your questions
1. The only reason you would need the pac-oem2 is if you have the Bose system. If you are planing to use this type of set up using the factory Bose setup, I would highly recomend against it. Although you can use this type of system using factory equipment, it is geared more towards using aftermarket amps and speakers. Therefore you would not need the pac-oem2
2. You can use the SWI-JACK steering wheel interface .
3.There is only one choice for bluetooth the KCA-BT200.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
assfault

Quick question,

I'm trying to find the cheapest solution and was wondering if I could skip out on the double din device and just have the LCD monitor as the only screen? Is this a possibility?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by assfault
Quick question,

I'm trying to find the cheapest solution and was wondering if I could skip out on the double din device and just have the LCD monitor as the only screen? Is this a possibility?
If you read the entire thread you will find out that what you are thinking is the idea solution for the KOS product. Look at post # 3
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by assfault
Quick question,

Yes you can. In fact that’s the idea of the KOS system. I really screwed-up my own thread by mentioning the second LCD screen since that isn’t what the KOS system is about. Duke is being kind not criticizing my lame example.

The KOS system is meant to be a solution allowing the addition of features (i.e., other devices) to update an existing CES without sacrificing your existing investment. Here is an example (based upon my current setup):

I have a Clarion DXZ745MP H/U with a Sirius satellite radio receiver, Eclipse Amp, Focal 165 component speakers in the doors (tweeters in the A-pillars), and Infinity coaxial speakers in the rear speaker space (not sure why I have rear speakers since I have them almost OFF).

The Clarion H/U performs well, but it’s an older unit that has a single AUX connection; and doesn’t support iPod, USB, HD radio, auto-muting for voice navigation, A/V inputs and control, or a rearview camera. If I want to add any of these features, I need to replace the head-unit, or I could simply add a Kenwood KOS controller and the KOS-L702 LCD touch-screen monitor in the upper cubby. That allows me to keep everything I already have, and add anything I might want.

Something else… If I add a KOS controller, I can tame the “rat’s nest” of wiring behind the H/U in the center forward dash console, and move my wiring to the two large and two small cubbies behind the driver and passenger seat in the Z. It’s much easier to make the connections in this generous work space.

--Spike
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

thanks for the write up, this is what I'd like to do whenever I get around to doing some audio/video upgrades.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it possible to do this with the eclipse headunits
Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Spike100

^^ Yes.

If you’ve swapped-out your OEM H/U for an aftermarket H/U, you connect the A/V outputs of your current H/U to the KOS controller. Then, select the aftermarket H/U as “Factory” in the KOS on-screen touch-control or the KOS handheld IR remote control. This way you can operate your stock or aftermarket H/U (radio, CD/DVD/HDD or whatever player is in your H/U, etc.) using its own controls.

The KOS controller has a built-in tuner/radio, so you can use this as well by choosing it in the touch-control screen or selecting it using the IR handheld remote. Any additional components (e.g., rearview camera, DVD player, CD changer, HD radio, etc.) should be connected to the KOS controller. Doing it this way simplifies connections and allows easier function selection via the KOS controller.

--Spike
Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o alright thx just need to pick up a extra monitor this weekend for the cubby hole now
Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Spike100

^^ Just making sure it's clear...

If you use a monitor (i.e., an aftermarket LCD) other than the KOS-L702 LCD touch-screen monitor, you also need the special Kenwood adapter that converts the 20-pin proprietary monitor output from the KOS controller (KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000) to standard composite video output. This way you can control the system using the KOS Handheld IR Remote Control; however; you won’t have touch screen support. To get touch-screen function, you need the KOS-L702 LCD monitor.

--Spike
Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 PM
visionz

Awesome write-up Spike and great feed back Duke! I have a factory Bose system and been wanting to add navi and dvd in the upper cubby without getting rid of the factory H/U(it's sufficient to my listening needs). I think you all answered my questions. Just one thing I would like to clarify, by keeping my factory Bose H/U, will all the features I have that goes along with it like my bluetooth handsfree phone system with voice command still work as usual? And for folks who has an 06 and up, which unit can fit in our upper cubby? Thank you!

Last edited by visionz; 03-11-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by visionz
Awesome write-up Spike and great feed back Duke! I have a factory Bose system and been wanting to add navi and dvd in the upper cubby without getting rid of the factory H/U(it's sufficient to my listening needs). I think you all answered my questions. Just one thing I would like to clarify, by keeping my factory Bose H/U, will all the features I have that goes along with it like my bluetooth handsfree phone system with voice command still work as usual? And for folks who has an 06 and up, which unit can fit in our upper cubby? Thank you!
Oh oh… Not sure about integrating KOS to a Bose system. I plead ignorance on this one. My experience with Bose is that Bose systems only work (at least optimally) with Bose stuff. My solution for Bose is to remove all of it and do a complete replacement, but that is not what you want or ask about. I realize there is a PAC adapter, but I’m not sure how this works when integrating a KOS and Bose system.

The KOS controller (V500 or v1000) does support Bluetooth, but that’s inside the unit itself and not with your Bose system. You need the optional Kenwood KCA-BT100 Bluetooth adapter (that allows you to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones, and download Phonebook data from the compatible mobile phones to the KOS controller). You can make and answer phone calls from the optional touch-screen monitor (KOS-L702) or the handheld IR remote control.

I didn’t answer your question. Hopefully Duke is out there somewhere... reading… composing an answer. Duke…I’m stuck, please help.

--Spike
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by Spike100
Oh oh… Not sure about integrating KOS to a Bose system. I plead ignorance on this one. My experience with Bose is that Bose systems only work (at least optimally) with Bose stuff. My solution for Bose is to remove all of it and do a complete replacement, but that is not what you want or ask about. I realize there is a PAC adapter, but I’m not sure how this works when integrating a KOS and Bose system.

The KOS controller (V500 or v1000) does support Bluetooth, but that’s inside the unit itself and not with your Bose system. You need the optional Kenwood KCA-BT100 Bluetooth adapter (that allows you to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones, and download Phonebook data from the compatible mobile phones to the KOS controller). You can make and answer phone calls from the optional touch-screen monitor (KOS-L702) or the handheld IR remote control.

I didn’t answer your question. Hopefully Duke is out there somewhere... reading… composing an answer. Duke…I’m stuck, please help.

--Spike
As stated by Spike, even though you can integrate into the Bose system using aftermarket adaptors you still run into issues of hiss, pops and distortion when you start to turn the volume up. Bottom line is it can be done, but is not recommended.
As far as the factory Bluetooth. Yes it could be used with the KOS product, but the only way it will function is if you are on the Factory source on the KOS product. If you get an incoming call and you are on another source it will not function unless you go back to the Factory source. Hope this makes sense. The solution to this would be going with the Kenwood Bluetooth adaptor which would operate regardless of what source you are on. The drawback is you already paid premium for the factory bluetooth. Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just got AVIC-D3

Is this cubby hole setup at all possible with the Pioneer AVIC-D3?? Just got it and wow what a great system for the money. Only thing i didnt like about the Kenwood DVD/NAV is the crappy 80's style and rediculously complicated interface. Way too many worthless menus, sub-menus, and in some instances, to find something specific on the interface you have to end up looking where you never thought you should have to look. Other than that tho its alright. Ive heard its bad for those who like to super-tweak their sound output too. Also what am i looking at work-wise to move my D3 itself to the upper cubby?? (Theft is a biatch)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Also..

Also fellas i have the bose system (05 tour) and have had no such sound distortions...even when i increase the volume fast, slow, really high, whatever. In fact-- the sound output is 10 times better than with the stock unit ( especially from the stock Bose sub behind me--the difference in clearity and power is amazing--and i have the D3 sub output on 0 setting!!!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)