Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

The Best Sounding 350Z i have ever done :) pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Best Sounding 350Z i have ever done :) pics...

well, after a coupla years of building dozens of 350zs that sounded great in an everyday sense, i finally had the privilige of working with a customer who had the desire and budget to do a system in his Z that dived a littled into the true Sound Quality side of mobile audio

After it was all said and done, I am happy to report that this Z, is definetly the best sounding one i have personally done...

goals:

1.superb sound quality
2.full stealth hatch area with zero space sacrifice
3.clean and classy

lets get started:

The signal starts with the alpine iwa-205 double din dvd headunit, and processing power for the entire car is provided by the optional H701 multichannel processor. An Ai-net and optical cable links the headunit and the rear mounted processor. The 701 provides us with full control on individual channels interms of equalization, time alignment, xover, and phase.

note the ipod cable in the upper cubby:

for the front stage, a pair of Seas Lotus reference 6.5" two way components were used. the midbass is flush mounted into a pair of off axis kicks as usual:

here are some build up pics of the kicks...

and of the Seas driver itself:

the Seas tweeters are located on dash corner pods...originally, i was going to mold them in the A pillars, facing each other, about 1/3 of the way up...but due to the rake of hte windshield, this would put them quite a bit closer to the listener than i wanted, so, to maximize path difference, i located them to the far forward edge of hte A pillar, right where the windshield meets the dsah:

again, a few build up pics of these little pods, which were quite a pain due to their small size and difficult location...to mold

so thats about it for the interior:

moving on towards the trunk...so...as promised, the trunk is totally stealth, here is the view with the carpet on, the entire floor was raised only 1/2" total

once you remve the carpet, you see a full vinyl floor, with two removable covers note raied 350z logo on the front cover:

once you lift off the two covers, the equipment reveals itself to you. two of the New DLS reference RW SQ 10" subwoofers reside in a flush mounted white suede trim panel, and what appears to be a DLS ultimate amp sits under plexi in the front rack:

if you look closely, you can notice that what appears to be a single DLS A-5 three channel amp, is acutally two amps, an DLS ultimtae A3 dual mono amp sits below it, the top amp is raised up by a platform in the back and two copper tubes in the front...its hardly noticable in this pic though

so here are some build up pics of the hatc harea:

dampening of hte floor:

the wires, distribution blocks, ran and loomed:

the start of hte amp rack:

bottom amp (A3) mounted:

amp rack installed in the hatch and wires ran and organized for hte A3:

now the second amp is added, and wires ran and organized, also the H701 is installed on its own rack on the driver side:

so here ist he brand new sound quality sub from DLS, very efficient, and very musical, and not too expensive.

now here is a neat feature i like baout the sub, when you are space limited and dont need the cosmetic magnet cover, you can remove it and gain more than 1" of clerance

so here is the subbox, about 1.1 cubic feet sealed, a smidgeon smaller than recommended but the biggest i can fit. note the high capacity crossflow fan on the front to circulate air in and out of the amp rack

here ist he subbox installed in the hatch, note that even though its full of gear, one can reach all the adjustments on the amp and reach the h701 without removing anyhting

and finally mock ups of hte fake floor when it was being built:

overall, it sounds excellent, of course the interior of hte Z, presents some challenges for achieving the best possible SQ...but this car sounds really great. midbass response is awesome, you really feel the drum beats on your chest, imaging is spot on dead center, and stage is about half way up the windshield. tonally, its extremyl even, and smooth, very laid back and natural, a very ease to listen to kind of system. and the subs blend in with the front stage perfectly

anyway, thats about it...i really hope in the future, i get to do more of these in the Z hehe, i had a few freinds and former customers come and listen to the car, and all of them were quite amazed
Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Bing, Looks just great.

... very interesting tweeter position/solution.

--Spike
Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM
WyattH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great job...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
blasian

Simply badass and clean looking as usual.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
cyberkline

awesome! i was born in san jose, but live near chicago now, wish you guys were closer looks like you guys did your homework for sure!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by Spike100
Bing, Looks just great.

... very interesting tweeter position/solution.

--Spike

i had the tweeter wired up and placed in various loations, and as far ofrward as possible facing each other was by far the best way it sounded to me aiting it at the window as some members have done by just cutting a hole and popping it in, really caused a lot of issues...

customer just picked it up, i willlet him give his opinions later hehe

b
Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 PM
stein

That look so good it makes me want it!

Nice work!!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Fingers

Wow that is some clean work, lots of attention to detail, and the pics are nice too.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
RollingRocker
Smart @$$

Thumbs up

This looks awesome man. Who needs a spare tire anyway. I'm in the middle of building my box for this location right now so it's awesome that I have something to reference. Did you have to raise the overall height of the trunk floor to accommodate the subs? I was going to put the sub behind the seat but decided that this would provide a better bass response. I need to keep as much space as possible we do a lot of touring with the car.

Last edited by RollingRocker; 02-03-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Get_Zwole

its times like these i wish you lived nearer to me lol.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very clean install as always. If those DLSs weren't nearly $400 for the pair, I'd grab a couple to replace my ID10
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
DerekW

Talking Thank you, Bing!!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on my350z, and it is rightfully dedicated to the extraordinarily high quality of Bing's work, his customer service, professionalism, and his passion for creating audio systems for those who enjoy high quality music recordings.

The pictures that Bing posted earlier do not do justice to the quality of his work (nothing against Bing's photographing skills ). It is difficult for anyone to impress others with the fine details of large size works, but Bing does it with ease. I am a very difficult customer, even the smallest details can not escape my senses. But I am truly impressed this time by Bing's attention to detail. His work just oozes quality, like when you sit inside a Porsche 911 for the first time. However, the most important feature of his work is the sound. I can feel the singers breath and the drums in my chest, and be in awe of the effortless power of the bass. The sound stage extend beyond the windows, and its depth reach to the hood ornament. All this are done without me sensing any intrusion by the electronics. You hear the music as it is intended to be heard, and all are done at a very fair price.

Through out the building process, Bing kept me updated on a very timely basis. He is a very nice person to do business with. When I was dropping off my Z, he even asked if I needed a ride! You can sense the passion in his work, it is clear that Bing enjoys what he does. Maybe that is why he is so great at it.

I am however, but one on a very long list of satisfied customers. Most of you who are reading this are already familiar with Bing's reputation, and he is the real deal. I'll stop here before I kill anyone with all them words Thanks again, Bing! What a experience!

Derek
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
BabyZiLLa

Im in Canada so will never have the privilege. But i've always gotten from Bing's posts that you can tell he enjoys what he does. Which makes the WORLD of difference in any line of work..
Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

Bing! you lied to me bro!!!!

you said my roadster was and would be the best sounding Z!!!!

haha! looks good though!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 AM
StreetOC192

Very nice install!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Lsmith9523

Wow,,,that looks great Bing! That is some amazing work! Prop's!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Gilley

Very impressive install, as usual, Bing. You are teaching me things.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Nice write-up. Loved the pics....
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
Bing! you lied to me bro!!!!

you said my roadster was and would be the best sounding Z!!!!

haha! looks good though!!!

i said nicest sounding convertible
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Solopresident

awesome job!

Quick Reply: The Best Sounding 350Z i have ever done :) pics...