Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

ugg, so the install is about to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ugg, so the install is about to start

well, i have another car i used to do competition audio in and am now gunna be selling it. i pulled all the audio equipment out to now go into the Z. head unit will be a carputer. all the speakers are mb quart except the subs being eclipse. the amps are old school zapco, nakimichi, eclipse (3 different ones), xtant, and mtx. each has there own strengths depending on the speakers they are running. i have more than enough amps to run each one to each pair of speakers which means i don't need to rely on passive crossover networks and have the power loss. each amp only amplifies the frequency designed for the speaker. outcome= loud as a ****!! and clean!!
i also have a pair of 10's in the car right now that will get used too. plan is for the 8"s and the 4"s to go in the door front bottom, with the 6.5" going in the kicks. that will get nearly all ranges coming from the same area. tweats going in the front corners of the dash to lift the sound back up. will have to see how it sounds and see if a center channel is needed to pull it up further and center the voice.
sub arrangement is still slightly undecided, but i take trips in the car so i still need trunk room for a couple bags. will be tough with 2-10" and 2-12" plus the passive radiator, but got some good ideas already.
interior is getting covered in suede to blend all this together, so i will keep everyone updated over the next couple months it will take to do it!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
token5gtd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overZealous1
will be tough with 2-10" and 2-12" plus the passive radiator
even though i think the amp set-up itself is a bit overkill, i understand your reasoning behind that....but why 10's and 12's AND a radiator? in a Z? thats just pointless dude
Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
overZealous1

reason is because i have them. don't need to sell, and why the hell not use them. besides, it will rock the effing wasteland!!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 AM
StreetOC192

reason is because i have them. don't need to sell, and why the hell not use them. besides, it will rock the effing wasteland!!
I personally think you are going to have trouble finding the proper room for them WHILE AT THE SAME TIME keeping some space for a couple bags........I can only fit a couple bags now and all I have is an understrut box.

Also, what do you mean by "each amp only amplifies the frequency designed for the speaker"? I understand that amps have built in crossovers, but most of the ones you listed aren't going to have a robust enough crossover section to do band passes. Can you please elaborate? Did you have customer crossover networks built into them?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

have no comment but i guess it goes against the very name of my company hehehe
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

8's, 4's, 6.5's and tweets up front.... can't wait to see this.

Post pics of your other car. Would love to see your previous work.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

it will be loud alright.. especially with them MB Quart tweets.. 'can you hear me now?'

however.. i was always one for sound quality over SPL
Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 , 15" driver ported will most likely sound best, look best , and give the most output , be loudest, and deepest

IMO
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by DVFlyer

actually, had all of the equipment pictured in a convert vette. dash was moved back about 1.5", custom enclosures that snaked down through the dash. yes, each speaker had it's own sealed airspace. used plastic and plaster to make a mold and get every ounce of airspace. tweet, 4" and 6.5" were grouped directly in front of driver and pass. the wide, long windshields of the vettes and keeping all the speakers a relatively close difference away from each person, gave nearly a perfect front stage!!! perfect height, and dead center from each seating position at the same time!!
the 8"s brought more bass to the front and ran a delay to the rear.

i can try to dig up pics of the install in that car. oh ya, the top still folded down and not a single speaker could be seen from the outside of the car. was a 6 month install.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by doug
it will be loud alright.. especially with them MB Quart tweets.. 'can you hear me now?'

however.. i was always one for sound quality over SPL
i can adjust the amp gain down per set of speakers. may aim them off the windshield to. just have to get in there and start testing spots. believe me, the car will be set up for sound quality. the bass can always be turned down, lol.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
overZealous1

i actually kinda know what i am doing. the car itself is over the top as is, and now going into the interior. it is a huge challenge to try and find room for all this stuff and have it sound good as some of you have already stated. that is the fun part for me. i know exactly how a front stage should sound, and have no doubt i can hit that in this car. having an amp per pair of speakers gives a huge advantage in gain control for tuning.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I personally think you are going to have trouble finding the proper room for them WHILE AT THE SAME TIME keeping some space for a couple bags........I can only fit a couple bags now and all I have is an understrut box.

Also, what do you mean by "each amp only amplifies the frequency designed for the speaker"? I understand that amps have built in crossovers, but most of the ones you listed aren't going to have a robust enough crossover section to do band passes. Can you please elaborate? Did you have customer crossover networks built into them?

audiocontrol preamp electronic crossovers. the only amp that is old school is the zapco, back when they were making the equipment that gave them their name. i will still put my own cap and coil to put final control and step it up to 24db per octave. but the power consumption off of that will be very minimum. 3 of the amps are designed for running subs. and also, have 3 different ways to send the frequency i want to them.
the great thing about passive radiators is they do not spike quite as much as a band pass. think of a bandpass, yet not having to do any port size figures at all to tune it.
the carputer/headunit will also have 7.1 output. i just need to find out what programs to get that will be the most flexible to tune it.

the 12" subs i have are rated for 1.1cu ft per speaker. the passive requires no extra airspace. i can easily get away with 0.8-9 cu ft per and have a total of only 1.8 or so airspace needed. by using the spare tire well and some creativity, i can make it work. the 10"s are already mounted and only take up the front 2 corners infront of the strut bar and raise up to get the airspace. that is basically an unused section in the trunk anyways. i am the master of finding space!! lol. maybe even cutting out the spare tire well, dropping it a couple inches and squaring it, will give me nearly all the space i need. who knows, i will figure it out.

Last edited by overZealous1; 03-11-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
StreetOC192

audiocontrol preamp electronic crossovers. the only amp that is old school is the zapco, back when they were making the equipment that gave them their name. i will still put my own cap and coil to put final control and step it up to 24db per octave. but the power consumption off of that will be very minimum. 3 of the amps are designed for running subs. and also, have 3 different ways to send the frequency i want to them.
the great thing about passive radiators is they do not spike quite as much as a band pass. think of a bandpass, yet not having to do any port size figures at all to tune it.
the carputer/headunit will also have 7.1 output. i just need to find out what programs to get that will be the most flexible to tune it.

the 12" subs i have are rated for 1.1cu ft per speaker. the passive requires no extra airspace. i can easily get away with 0.8-9 cu ft per and have a total of only 1.8 or so airspace needed. by using the spare tire well and some creativity, i can make it work. the 10"s are already mounted and only take up the front 2 corners infront of the strut bar and raise up to get the airspace. that is basically an unused section in the trunk anyways. i am the master of finding space!! lol. maybe even cutting out the spare tire well, dropping it a couple inches and squaring it, will give me nearly all the space i need. who knows, i will figure it out.
Ahhh, the AudioControl......gotcha! That was the part missing in my mind. And thanks for shedding light on the sub situation. I look forward to seeing this project!!! Don't keep us in the dark as it unfolds.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Subscribing... this I "gotta see"...

--Spike
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by DVFlyer

here is a pic of the dash of the vette. the black thing on the seats is the dash cover that was a piece of 1/4" mdf (with thickened edges to match stock) and holes cut out for the defroster and speakers then covered in grill material. if you didn't know, you would think it was stock.

here is a pic of the 10's mounted in the Z as they are now. takes up almost zero usable trunk space and fits the interior very well. now just looking to step it up abit now the engine and exterior of the car are done.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Mikey-Z

pulling out the stock nav for the carputer touch screen? Or are you gonna put it in the stock radio location?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z
pulling out the stock nav for the carputer touch screen? Or are you gonna put it in the stock radio location?
gunna leave the stock nav, and toss the bose!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
overZealous1

was gunna wait a little while before starting this project, but couldn't help myself and started picking up mdf and resin today. have the front stage figured out as planned with the 8, 6.5, 4, and tweet all fitting and will actually be able to hide most all of it and have them in sealed enclosures too!! will post pics of progress.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
overZealous1

6.5" kicks are cut out and speakers aligned in the direction i want with the least amount of protrusion to interfere with foot room, fuse access, and foot rest blockage. speakers are aimed towards the opposite persons chest. should start glassing them tomorrow.
seems there is enough airspace in the door panel contours to use the whole backside of the door panel for airspace for the 8" and 4"!!! they will each have their own glass enclosure, permanently affixed to the door panel itself. airspace and exact locations have been figured, but grill and door panel front blending is having me abit stumped. hoping to not take up space on the outside of the door panel, yet need custom grills and the normal type speaker grills will not do!
too tired for pics, will get some tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
overZealous1

6.5" kicks are formed and glassed, will be finishing tomorrow and prolly wrapping on sunday. no pics yet, figured most all have seen the building of these type pieces (that and i never think to take pics, lol).
put in a different deck also just to get something capable of controlling the different amps so i can sound check as i go and figure best speaker angles in the front. the 6.5" i really didn't have a choice though considering the goals to still keep foot room. i drive the car hard and don't need my foot getting caught up on a speaker while working the clutch!
going for as much of a hidden install as possible without sacrificing hardly any interior space or comforts.

Last edited by overZealous1; 03-14-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: ugg, so the install is about to start