SQL install for a 2003 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQL install for a 2003 G35 Coupe

aight guys...just got done with a SQL install in a 2003 infiniti G35 Coupe for a fellow member of our forum.

This is acutally the first true SQL install i have done in the G coupe actually...featuring two relatively heavy hitting subs and a high degree of sound quality

the goals:

1. good sound quality (you socal guys may see it at a few meets/comps)
2. ample amount of bottom end output
3. a clean and simple look to the trunk, that retains as much space as possible, but still with a little bit of flash (a little lighting was part of the design)

lets get started.

the signal starts with a Kenwood Excelon 8120 dvd/nav/cd headunit. Having done a handful of these units now, i feel that for a double din nav all in one, it is one of the cleaner signal sources out there for sure.

it is installed in the stock location via the JDM double din finisher:

the system features zapco DC amps, and a laptop can be hooke dup to a USB extension cable coming from the armrest storage area. what is not seen is the USB and IPOD cables also reside in the armrest:

front stage is Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" two way set. the tweeter, as usual, are molded into the A pillars, off axis firing across:

here are three quick build up pics of the pillar:

first the ring is aimed and attached, mold cloth resined and then strengthend from the inside via duraglass:

then it sanded smooth and blended in:

and finally, vinyled in black, mtaching the dash/door:

the midbass resides in the stock lower door location. first, the entire door was dampened via foam and mass loader, new speaker wire ran into the doors through the factor molex:

then, a treated baffle was attachd and the midbass secured to that:

and then, the door card was heavily sound proofed to prevent as much buzzing and rattling as possible, a symptom that Gs and Zs are known for:

same for the passenger door:

moving towards the back, the rear deck on the G35s are rattle traps...through trial and error, i hhave round that the best way to kill it is by putting foam on both the rear deck metal:

and the rear deck card piece:

as majority of the rattles are generated from the card bouncing up and down on the metal and retainers...it wont stop it completely whe nthe bass is pushed real high, but it helps a lot.

moving to the trunk. as mentioned before, the idea is to have it stealthy and keep as much usable space as possible. so normally, this is waht it looks like:

two fiberglass side boxes are on either side of hte trunk, and the factory carpet, after trimming, fits the same way as stock in the middle. two heavy duty grilles protects the subs.

remove the carpet, and here is hwat you see, a center section of hte floor is a flushed trim piece done in graphite CF vinyl. it also features a cutout in the middle for the amps:

remove the grilles and cover, and here is what you see. two zapco DC reference amps are below the cutout in the floor, with a ring of routed plexi. a DC 650.6 powers the front stage, 180 watts for the midbass 100 for each tweeter. a DC1100.1 sends 1100 watts to the two IDMAX10s.

i chose to do a rounded square baffle this time, to match the rounded square opening of hte trunk, and just beucsae i have done way too many round baffle side boxes in the G hehe.

having a square baffle also frees me up to do a matching CF trim around the subs to add a little flair.

here you can see the trim around the subs closely:

and a close up of the amp area:

flick a switch, and the rounted edge lit plexi lights up, the color, as specd by the customer, is cool white, basically its almost like the color of HID headlights...a bluish tint to the white:

now lets see the effect at night, there are 60 leds in the mix so they throw out quite a lot light the bluish hue to the lightiung is more evident in the dark:

and finally, some build up pics:

a bit thanks goes out to Nick, who fabricates the famous 4080 enclosures for the G35, for providing me with the back mold of his boxes. from there, i attached my square baffle, and molded it, then i cut hte back of the box off, and applied 7-8 layers of mat to the inside of hte box. then the two sides are jointed again, and sealed with three layers of cloth on both the inside and outisde.

here are the boxes done to that step:

and then, they were capreted, and the CF trim panel attached:

here is a shot of the grilles for the sub, as i get questions on them a lot. so you can see, its a piece of MDF with a center cutout, mesh attached, and a border spacer made from low heat plastic. and the entire thing wrapped wtih breathable black carpet:

and finally, the shot of hte wiring below the floor. the two zapco amps have received hte double internal fan mod, and two external fans force a little bit more air into the inlets on the side of the amp:

car overall should sound excellent after tuning, similar to the other SQ G35 i did a while ago, but with more bass. i have the bass gain turned way low right now...the two idmaxes can certainly rumble.

taking her down to socal on friday...should be a fun drive.

cheers,

Bing
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
B5I8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad this one is going down to socal, I'm really curious to know how it sounds after tuning. I already know the front stage should sound great but I wanted to know what kind of output those iDMax's have in them. If I could find someone to buy my subs with the box I'd love to run two iDMax's in a custom box with 1500W flowing through them. The install looked better in person, pictures really don't do your installs justice.

Last edited by B5I8; 02-02-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by B5I8
pictures really don't do your installs justice.

im sure just watching bing work for a day or two would be a huge learning experience by its self
Old 02-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Joe@Sage

You do some really clean kick *** work looks great.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow that looks great!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
XERMAN2001

nice man, i keep looking at your stuff for ideas. I am going to be starting my project soon, i am looking to do the same style you do.

I know ive asked this question before, but the amp wont overheat under the mdf and carpet, even with the cooling fans?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

just an update, this car took home 2nd plcae rookie class at the socal IASCA sound quality competition event past weekend hehe, despite not doing well on presentation and system knowledge scores, gonna train him on presenting the car to the judges and his scorew should go up more.

b