Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Spork's semi-SQ build

Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Zenclosures box, subwoofer, and amp installed.

Pics added to first post.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, looks even weirder now

how does it sound?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
Tweeters in the sail panel ftl
STFU!

Waking up every morning and realizing that the nightmare that is you being you is still not over is FTL!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean you hope the sub provides bright bass?

Damn you Kwame, I don't even have any words for your system. I retract my statement, Kwame's system is way out of my league
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^ You know you're still my homie!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 AM
blasian

I wish you were going to Zdayz
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Spork

The sub sounds good. I described it in my first post. With rap, the bass is deep and makes me feel deaf, but the bass doesn't escape the car that much, which is what I wanted. With rock and metal, the bass hits solid and reacts perfect with double-bass songs.

I dunno what happened... I haven't listened to my car's audio for a few months due to storage. The tweeters are not as bright as they used to be. Can anyone explain this? Is it just the bass that's evening things out?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
blasian

Probably the bass
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Done Deal DR

I agree with blasian, if I ever do another system I will definitely go for a SQ setup over SPL, and what you're describing is typical for a SQ build - you don't want any 1 frequency range overriding another. You want it all to blend together but "punch" on the right frequencies at the right time as intended by the music producer, sounds like that's where you're at or around right now.

Where did you mount your amp, on the backside of the Zenclosure's box or behind the driver seat in the factory sub location?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
behind the driver seat in the factory sub location?
I have mine in the glovebox on the passenger side but I'll be moving it to the other side so I can fit the third amp... which is bigger than the amp for my sub
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Done Deal DR

I have mine in the glovebox on the passenger side but I'll be moving it to the other side so I can fit the third amp... which is bigger than the amp for my sub
Yeah unless you take out the plastics on the passenger side there isn't really much room behind there, I would be concerned with overheating, even if not running low impedance. The driver side is huge, I just have an XM tuner in there for now though.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Spork

I agree with blasian, if I ever do another system I will definitely go for a SQ setup over SPL, and what you're describing is typical for a SQ build - you don't want any 1 frequency range overriding another. You want it all to blend together but "punch" on the right frequencies at the right time as intended by the music producer, sounds like that's where you're at or around right now.

Where did you mount your amp, on the backside of the Zenclosure's box or behind the driver seat in the factory sub location?
I absolutely love it.

My amps are located in the sub compartment. I have a layer of eDead V1 over the BOSE grill area to prevent any noises from entering the cabin through there. I thought about putting the sub amp on the back of the Zenclosures box, but I wanted the cleanest possible look.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
blasian

Yeah unless you take out the plastics on the passenger side there isn't really much room behind there, I would be concerned with overheating, even if not running low impedance. The driver side is huge, I just have an XM tuner in there for now though.
Yeah, I think I wanted it for easy access because I hate moving my seat

Originally Posted by Spork
I absolutely love it.

My amps are located in the sub compartment. I have a layer of eDead V1 over the BOSE grill area to prevent any noises from entering the cabin through there. I thought about putting the sub amp on the back of the Zenclosures box, but I wanted the cleanest possible look.
I have my hatch and doors with eDead but I may put some in their for the hell of it. I'll leave my Bose cover alone though to help with some air ventilation.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Done Deal DR

I absolutely love it.

Right on man, I'd put it there too. IMO the more stuff that's out of sight the better, and if you want to be real **** its better for weight distribution as well. Although I've never had any issues with my amps making noise (at least not that I could hear over the system itself) so I probably would have held off on making the area any less ventilated...I'm sure it will be okay though.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Spork

I have my hatch and doors with eDead but I may put some in their for the hell of it. I'll leave my Bose cover alone though to help with some air ventilation.
Ah I forgot about ventilation. Meh, if it doesn't overheat, everything is good.

Right on man, I'd put it there too. IMO the more stuff that's out of sight the better, and if you want to be real **** its better for weight distribution as well. Although I've never had any issues with my amps making noise (at least not that I could hear over the system itself) so I probably would have held off on making the area any less ventilated...I'm sure it will be okay though.
I had the music up with the sub grill open. I could hear metallic resonances through the empty sub compartment.

I also gotta take off some rear exhaust heat shields. They rattle like hell atm.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Done Deal DR

Ah I forgot about ventilation. Meh, if it doesn't overheat, everything is good.

I had the music up with the sub grill open. I could hear metallic resonances through the empty sub compartment.

I also gotta take off some rear exhaust heat shields. They rattle like hell atm.
How did you mount the amp? You did mount the amp, right?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Spork

No, I just have them sitting loosely.

I have them screwed down towards the back, so as to not get in the way of the fuel pump.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Done Deal DR

No, I just have them sitting loosely.

I have them screwed down towards the back, so as to not get in the way of the fuel pump.
I was reading this thinking Oh no...no.....he didn't drill into that did he, but then you totally redeemed yourself! I personally think the best way of doing this is to get some cardboard and cut out a template, then cut out some MDF which you can use to mount the amp to. You can even cover it for extra style points if you want. That will keep it very secure and you shouldn't hear any type of rattles or resonating type sounds, but who knows.

How much did you end up spending on everything?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Spork

I thought about making some kind of platform like you described. I'm still tossing around the idea of buying a glove box off a totaled car or something, installing it in the driver side, and putting 1 amp in each side.

This entire build only cost me roughly $2000, which seems to be on the low end of builds around here.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Done Deal DR

I'm not quite following you on the glovebox idea, maybe that will take an MS paint sketch or something. The MDF would be easy, you could also find a friend that can do some quick welds and do it in aluminum as well.

And yes, some people on this site are really "ballin'" out of control, its crazy. Thats a pretty good size budget though, definitely enough money to get you a great all around system that you will be happy with for years to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spork's semi-SQ build