Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

First time installer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Patrickn210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time installer

Allright, so let me start out by saying that I've never done any audio work before which means I'm really quite noobish at this which means I'm gonna ask some really noobish questions so bear with me
I have a 2004 base model, stock everything, non bose
I want to try and keep this simple and not too expensive, so I'm just looking at getting a new deck and changing out the door and rear speakers. No subs.
I'm thinking about buying a PIONEER FH-P8000BT, and for the speakers I've heard good things about the Infinity 6022SI's.
So as far as I know, that is all I'm buying, the Pioneer, and the 4 speakers, and whatever comes with them in the box. I don't know that I need anything else other than tools?
So this is where it gets really noobish lol
I've seen some tutorials on how to remove all the necessary panels so I think I should be allright on that, at this point I'm just curious about wiring and power. Is it as simple as going in to my car, taking out my old stuff and putting the new stuff in? Will I need to do any new wiring, is an amp going to be needed for any of this?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 AM
sintaxeror

You will be fine without an amp... so it really will be as simple as taking the old stuff out, and installing the new stuff.
The only new wiring you will need is the pioneer harness adapter so your new stuff will plug right into the factory interface. Also, since your speakers are 2-way, you can use the factory wires to connect them, but you will want to just disconnect the front factory tweeters.
You will also need a dash kit so that the headunit fits nice and flush in the dash.
Overall, it should be pretty simple -- good start for a first install.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Patrickn210

sounds good, I found the harness adapter online so I'll get that too
I'm just curious about the dash kit. I was lookin on crutchfield and its telling me that it would send me this dash kit with the headunit I'm ordering (pic attached)

Is that supposed to work with the PIONEER FH-P8000BT, cause it looks like a single din with a little cubby underneath, unless the cubby and middle piece going across is removeable?

Also, I've heard a few people say that its better to just invest in really good door speakers and take the rear ones out. I was messin around with my stock system today and even with the stock it does sound pretty good when I adjust it to only the front speakers. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails First time installer-h120997402-f.jpeg  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
adamtaylorpcb

the little trim peice infront of the pocket is what you will use

yes 100% get better door speakers and ditch the rears
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Patrickn210
sounds good, I found the harness adapter online so I'll get that too
I'm just curious about the dash kit. I was lookin on crutchfield and its telling me that it would send me this dash kit with the headunit I'm ordering (pic attached)

Is that supposed to work with the PIONEER FH-P8000BT, cause it looks like a single din with a little cubby underneath, unless the cubby and middle piece going across is removeable?

Also, I've heard a few people say that its better to just invest in really good door speakers and take the rear ones out. I was messin around with my stock system today and even with the stock it does sound pretty good when I adjust it to only the front speakers. Any suggestions?
Re: Dash kit
You don't use the little pocket, and you snap off the middle divider and file the sides smooth.

Re: Rear Speakers.
I also do not run rear speakers.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Patrickn210

Allright, I think I'll just go with the front speakers then. Since I'm not using the rear ones, do I just disconnect the wiring at the speaker? And should I disconnect the tweeters as well or keep em in?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Patrickn210
Allright, I think I'll just go with the front speakers then. Since I'm not using the rear ones, do I just disconnect the wiring at the speaker? And should I disconnect the tweeters as well or keep em in?
Don't bother disconnecting the rear speakers, just fade the sound all the way forward... if you really want to disconnect them, don't connect the rear speaker wires on your new headunit wiring harness, but I would just connect them and fade all the way forward, if for some reason in the future you need to use your rear speakers.

I would also leave the stock tweeters in, but just disconnect them. Its easy, you will see when you get the door panel off.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM
adamtaylorpcb

^^^ word
Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Patrickn210

you guys have been a huge help, thanks for everything
me likey this site lol