Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Need Advice: Starting Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice: Starting Project

OK, here's my plan, but I need some guidance because I've never messed with an audio system. My plan is to get some nice component speakers for the fronts, a new head unit that is ipod friendly (do some even charge your ipod while they're connected? and I can do without a CD slot), and an amp to power the speakers. Would it be possible to also amplify the rear speakers with the same amp, or would that sound bad with the stock rears (bose...). Could I leave the rears disconnected and rely on the front components, or would that not be sufficient? Im not a big bass guy, so I dont need any subs.

So, any advice with what goodies to buy or what setup would be best would be greatly appreciated. Im a newbie at this audio stuff so help me out! Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally amplifiers are designed to power 4 speakers. You might find an amplifier to run 5 speakers. One would be the woofer of course.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by davidv
Generally amplifiers are designed to power 4 speakers. You might find an amplifier to run 5 speakers. One would be the woofer of course.
any idea if running the crappy stock rear speakers to the amp along with the front components will be better than running the components in front by themselves?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...before you get flamed for not "searching" blah blah blah....

Do the following-

-headunit
-Scosche wiring harness (made for the bose system you have)
-decent amp
-nice components (don't cheap out here)
-wicked CAS door boxes ---> http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...0&cat=8&page=1 <--- these will let you get the full sound out of the components

Good luck sir!

Edit: Almost forgot.... forget about the rear speakers!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Blck350z
...before you get flamed for not "searching" blah blah blah....

Do the following-

-headunit
-Scosche wiring harness (made for the bose system you have)
-decent amp
-nice components (don't cheap out here)
-wicked CAS door boxes ---> http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...0&cat=8&page=1 <--- these will let you get the full sound out of the components

Good luck sir!

Edit: Almost forgot.... forget about the rear speakers!!!
were getting somewhere now! you answered my big question...and i will probably cross off the rear speakers. Im debating the door speaker mounts...seem kinda pricey but I understand how they would improve the sound. And any way you could provide a link to the scosche wiring harness I need? I dont have the bose system, just bose rear speakers.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Mortivore

If you don't have the Bose system and you haven't done anything to your rear speakers then I am pretty sure you wouldn't have the Bose speakers. The non-Bose systems run with Clarions i believe, which are just as bad as the Bose... if not worse. I would just disconnect the rears, I am also upgrading my system and plan on dropping the rears.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Mortivore
If you don't have the Bose system and you haven't done anything to your rear speakers then I am pretty sure you wouldn't have the Bose speakers. The non-Bose systems run with Clarions i believe, which are just as bad as the Bose... if not worse. I would just disconnect the rears, I am also upgrading my system and plan on dropping the rears.
I do have bose rear speakers. I bought my z wrecked and fixed it up and had the choice between the clarions and bose because I had spare parts. Crossed my fingers and went with the bose (they suck..)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I get for assuming..... you can just get the regular wiring harness ( also made by Scosche and many other manufacturers... or just wire into the stock....

No matter what you do... (unless you hook it up wrong) you'll be amazed at how much better it sounds ....
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
DBTre50z

If you need help finding the correct wiring harness you can go on sonicelectronix. When you pick out a headunit it will ask what make and model the car is and then find the correct harness.