Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Nook color install

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Omyn.Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nook color install

Hello, this is my Android based Nook Color build in my 350z. Copied my post from mp3car.com

The tablet is running CM7, tethering wifi from my android phone (Nexus One) for mobile internet. I can also tether GPS through my Nexus for GPS. The nook does not come with the hardware for GPS so tethering or an external bluetooth adapter is the most common methods of making it GPS able. I have the OEM USB cable running along the side of the center console to the rear cigarette adapter. I opted for this option, as opposed to wiring it right into the cars power, because I wanted the option to plug it into a laptop easily. Transferring files this way is much easier. I also have the option of pulling into the driveway and wifi'ing files to my device. The nook has 8gb of internal memory plus a 16gb SD card so it has plenty of space.

I purchased the nook from B&N store on black friday for $120. I wanted to keep my stock bose system so I also bought the adapter to do AUX right into my OEM Bose system. The adapter also came with an Ipod cord.

Adapter is the USA SPEC PA11-NIS:

My car was not equipped with factory navigation. The opening was the same size as the nook display. The opening should fit any 7" tablet.

I mounted the device with plastic weld and a reinforcing aluminum brace. Just used aluminum strips from home depot.

I relocated the power and home button the the small panel in front of the display using momentary push buttons from radioshack. I used random connectors I had to make taking off the small panel easier.

I had to cut out some of the plastic in the dash to get the charger cable and the cornered AUX cable to fit.

Final install

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Looks factory and the lid makes the display very visible in high light. The audio quality I was concerned about but it's not bad at all. I have the OBDII adapter on order for use with Torque. Poweramp is really nice music player with a built in EQ.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Ak48z

Nice work, love seeing different options for A/V.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I like it...gives me some ideas.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 AM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Props it looks really good. Do you have audio the the PAC module thing?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 AM
JCITY
Banned

I'm from the category that cannot understand why someone wants to put a tablet in
a sportscar.However,props on your install.
Looks great.
There have been several posts concerning tablet units attached to the nook area.
The design on most looked terrible.At least,if a guy is dead set on putting a tab in a Z,
do it the right way.To me,thats what you've done.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Omyn.Z

Originally Posted by JCITY
I'm from the category that cannot understand why someone wants to put a tablet in
a sportscar.However,props on your install.
Looks great.
There have been several posts concerning tablet units attached to the nook area.
The design on most looked terrible.At least,if a guy is dead set on putting a tab in a Z,
do it the right way.To me,thats what you've done.
It goes along the same lines of getting factory navigation. That was the main selling point of me doing this install. Google maps on a crisp, vivid display with a nice capacitive touch screen far exceed factory and aftermarket solutions designed specifically for a vehicle. Not to mention the price point of the device. I bought the tablet for $120 on black friday. Total project was about $225, including the USA SPEC adapter.

I do have audio to the module(I assume you mean the aux/ipod adapter?). It wasn't too great until I discovered an app called "Nook color tweaks". I guess the software is limiting the hardware within the device for pushing out audio. The app allows me to really get the most out of audio.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 AM
HockeyZ39

So when the car is off the nook just runs on battery until it dies?

Is there a setting in CM7 to make it power on/off when on/off external power?

EDIT: one more question. Is there any "actual screen" (as in the actual LCD output) behind the cubby walls? I ask because the kindle fire is about .5 inches smaller than the nook color and I would hate for some of the non-LCD bezel to be visible in the dash. TIA!

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 01-16-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Omyn.Z

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
So when the car is off the nook just runs on battery until it dies?

Is there a setting in CM7 to make it power on/off when on/off external power?

EDIT: one more question. Is there any "actual screen" (as in the actual LCD output) behind the cubby walls? I ask because the kindle fire is about .5 inches smaller than the nook color and I would hate for some of the non-LCD bezel to be visible in the dash. TIA!
Yes, it will be in standby until the battery runs down. It will take approximately a week in standby to die though. My Z is my daily driver so it doesn't really get a chance to die.

I'm not sure if there is a setting to do that. I would think something like that would be controlled by hardware. When the device is off, it isn't booted into CM7. It wouldn't be able to follow a setting from an app or the OS from pre-boot. I'd rather not wait for it to boot everytime I get in and out of my car, anyway. I do have it so when ignition is on the backlight stays on and comes out of standby and when ignition is off, the device will instantly enter standby after I think 15 seconds. I'm sure there's something you can do at the board level to get those results.

No, there is no part of the display behind the cubby walls. I really didn't have much room to work with. It really is a close match to the size of the cubby. The nook has black glass around the LCD before it exposes the housing so the little bit of black that does show, you can't really tell it's there.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 AM
goracerx

Update on ODBII & Torque, please?
Have you tried the NAV app yet? You would have to select to that input and loose music, correct?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
HockeyZ39

Assuming your not playing music through the tablet then you would have to swap over to Aux input on your stereo to hear the audible directions from the GPS.

Though I don't see why you wouldn't be playing your music through the tablet. With FM tuner apps, Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify, Google Music, or mp3's on the tablet and or you phone why would you be using the in-dash unit?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Omyn.Z

Assuming your not playing music through the tablet then you would have to swap over to Aux input on your stereo to hear the audible directions from the GPS.

Though I don't see why you wouldn't be playing your music through the tablet. With FM tuner apps, Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify, Google Music, or mp3's on the tablet and or you phone why would you be using the in-dash unit?
Exactly. The reason I got an iPod and aux adapter was because i was unsure how good the quality would be from the tablet. After fiddling with the settings in nook tweaks the quality is about the same as the ipod. I don't even use my ipod anymore.

If I recall correctly, google nav will turn down the music to about 20% when the chick starts giving the directions and turns it back up when she is done. I can't stand turn by turn audio directions though so I keep that option off.

I haven't picked out a bluetooth GPS module yet. I haven't really had a chance to really find reviews on which one I should get. I did however already get the OBDII>bluetooth adapter. I purchased the Kiwi one from ebay. I had about $15 in ebay bucks to blow which helped. It works pretty good. I only played around with it for a little bit though. Once I get more time and the GPS module, I'll upload a video on to youtube or something to demo it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by JCITY
a sportscar..

makes more sense than spending 3k on bolt ons that net you 10whp

i didnt know people couldnt be creative and put their ideas into their car, because your "from the the category that cannot understand". worry about your own car and what you do with it. if everything in the audio/video section seems to bother you (from what i've seen) then stop coming to this section, waste your time in the n/a section or man up and get some boost because "im from the i cant understand why your not making real power" category.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by Omyn.Z
Exactly. The reason I got an iPod and aux adapter was because i was unsure how good the quality would be from the tablet. After fiddling with the settings in nook tweaks the quality is about the same as the ipod. I don't even use my ipod anymore.

If I recall correctly, google nav will turn down the music to about 20% when the chick starts giving the directions and turns it back up when she is done. I can't stand turn by turn audio directions though so I keep that option off.

I haven't picked out a bluetooth GPS module yet. I haven't really had a chance to really find reviews on which one I should get. I did however already get the OBDII>bluetooth adapter. I purchased the Kiwi one from ebay. I had about $15 in ebay bucks to blow which helped. It works pretty good. I only played around with it for a little bit though. Once I get more time and the GPS module, I'll upload a video on to youtube or something to demo it.

Why not just buy the "Tether GPS" app instead of a bluetooth GPS module? You will still have to tether your phone for data to use google maps or navigation. That is unless you use one of the offline navigation apps, none of which I have read to many good things about.

One question, when using your nook while driving does the battery % go up much? I wired mine directly to the ignition wire going to the radio harness and have noticed if I use the nook with wifi/bluetooth the battery goes down while the car is on and it is "charging".... It only goes up when not using it.

I am guessing the ignition wire doesn't throw a constant 12-14v. So I assume I may have to go with a relay.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
arteta78

This is exactly what I've been looking for! My Nook is mounted in front of the funny and I use my EVO for hotspot and GPS tether but REALLY want that professional look enclosed system you have. Definately agree with using the USB for power and file management. So, my newbee questions: Please can you detail the whole "moving the power and home switches" thing! Will this work the same in a cubby in a 2008? Where did you make the cuts for aux and usb cables? Once again great work...the NC is an awesome little machine!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Omyn.Z

Why not just buy the "Tether GPS" app instead of a bluetooth GPS module? You will still have to tether your phone for data to use google maps or navigation. That is unless you use one of the offline navigation apps, none of which I have read to many good things about.

One question, when using your nook while driving does the battery % go up much? I wired mine directly to the ignition wire going to the radio harness and have noticed if I use the nook with wifi/bluetooth the battery goes down while the car is on and it is "charging".... It only goes up when not using it.

I am guessing the ignition wire doesn't throw a constant 12-14v. So I assume I may have to go with a relay.
I considered that option. I just looked at the adapter being a more static and permanent solution. I like the idea of it always being there without being seen, perhaps get one with the external antenna option. For the mean time, I may have to root my phone and just use it for the time being.

I'm using the OEM nook color cable, the micro usb depth is much longer for faster charging, plugged right into the cigarette light adapter. I'm using a 2.5 amp dual port USB charger. I never notice it going down with bluetooth and wifi going. I don't stream music as much as I thought I would tho. I have a lot of mp3s on the sd card.

For the home button, it is surface mounted right to the board. I used my hot air station to remove the surface mounted button and replace it with the 2 leads going to the home button. Soldering experience is required. You should be able to get the button off with an iron too. I just don't know how well it will survive if you plan on keeping it. The power button is much easier. It has two wires going to the board through a connecter. You just simply cut and strip that wire and rewire it into your button. I didn't think I would need it but, I would recommend extending your volume buttons and putting them somewhere hidden but within reach. I didn't think to do this but if I ever need to navigate though clockwork or any recovery modes, I'll have to take the entire thing apart...

I've only owned by 350z for about a month now so I'm not sure all the year to year differences. (unlike 300zx's =p). I will say though that anything is possible. If you have a cubby then I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it with your's.

Here's where I cut. Thankfully there were no rattles. That was my biggest fear with the entire install. I didn't take pictures so I just outlined on someone else's tear down.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM
HockeyZ39

I have my nook installed already, I ended up only cutting out a small amount and then removing the wheel well panels and inserting the USB / audio cable from behind once the dash was already in.

I didn't realize you had lost the functionality of your retractable door until I was in the thick of it. I spent countless hours modifying and shaping the cubby to retain the ability to close the door. I almost went insane but I think it was worth it to keep the ability to hide the tablet.

I just realized the car adapter I hacked apart and hardwired in is only a 1amp adapter. I am pretty confident that is why my nook is discharging faster than it can charge!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by rharms77
Hockey,

What year Z is yours? I have an 07, and was wondering the same thing after taking out my center dash (how the hell am I going to be able to mount this, and still use the cubby door?) If you have any pictures of where and what you did to both install and retain the door use, I would be very appreciative. I'm going with an Acer A100, as it has GPS, uses Honeycomb, and has both micro and full USB 2.0 support.
I have an 03.

I hacked away a large portion of the cubby to retain the functionality. It is messy, and the cubby is more difficult to use now because I had to remove the forward guides on the metal bracket.

I just cut a gap between the two side brackets equal to the thickness of the tablet. This ended up cutting away one of the guide channels for the metal support bracket. So I had to remove that forward guide on the bracket.

I then JBWelded the tablet to the cubby and the brackets to the back of the tablet. I also used a support bracket similar to the OP.

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 02-06-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 AM
HockeyZ39

ya on my 03 the gears and spring are all on the top. all thats on the side is the guide channels and pins

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 02-07-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM
HockeyZ39

It ended up being a 3 day project for me. I had a Farenheit screen before and it was literally a direct fit with zero modification so I expected a much easier install than it actually was.

Depending on the tablet you may need a right angle mini sub connector or a right angle 3.5mm cable. I ended up having to crack open my nooks mini usb and relocating the attached small PCB for an easier fit.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by rharms77
So I'm finding my 07 is not very compatible for this build. The cubby set up is quite different than the 03, and I've had cut tons of material out to get it to fit. On top of that,the entire tablet is visible, not just the screen like in the original poster's pictures. I'm working now on cutting out a flat piece of black plastic and trying to turn it into some sort of bezel. I foresee a lot of work left...
I think A 5" GPS for the newer models with the pop up cubby would work. I would go with the new Garmin that looks like a cell phone.

For the Nook on the new models the easiest and most expensive way is replacing the center console with the one that's made for OEM NAV.

I took my cubby box out and could not figure out how to mount my 7" Magellan. I have it squeezed in there for now until I break down and buy the OEM NAV console.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nook color install