Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

VDO Dayton GPS - Toast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
DIYGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking VDO Dayton GPS - Toast?

I just bought a 2004 Touring edition with an after-market VDO Dayton GPS installed. It must have been a very nice unit when it was installed, and the installation itself is very nice, with the screen in the cubby. Major problem: there was a remote with this unit that suffered a major battery leak and destroyed it. Without the remote I cannot find a way to use the unit.

I thought when I bought it I would just replace the remote control - hah! Finding anything about this unit is near impossible. First prob: I cannot ID what is the model. There is nothing on the unit itself. Second prob: evidently this company has vanished into the nether world, and with it any chance of finding a replacement remote. Third prob: I might want to replace the unit, but maintain the existing wiring - methinks that is unlikely to about impossible that would work out.

In searching through these posts I find very little about this unit and thus, am turning to the greater community for advice. The head unit is stashed under the passenger seat, and quite neatly. If I wanted to install a new GPS I realize there are many options, my main question is will most of the newer screens fit into the cubby? And is it a good idea to stash a head unit where this one is located?

Probably in over my head, but every journey ...
Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
BrickyardZ2003

Have you looked for any kind of serial number on the screen or head unit itself?? If you can find any kind of serial number you might have some luck scouring some used portions of sites like this, eBay, or Craigslist, and you might be able to find a remote for what you're looking for.

As for a new unit being installed, there are multiple write ups on here that include placing a screen inside the stock cubby location, you just need to check into those to see what fits and what doesn't!

Thirdly, I can't answer on the head unit location haha - don't know anything about that one, man! Best of luck, it must be a frustrating situation.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 AM
DIYGUY

Thanks for the thoughts - no S/N can be had anywhere. It is weird. I am the 3rd owner, and the 2nd did not have any manuals or anything else to offer on it. I realize that the most likely path open now is to scrap the entire thing, and that pains me to do so. I have explored many of the discussions in this area, and they have been truly great info, on things such as fitting in the cubby, etc.

Well - I guess I will just cross my fingers that somewhere soon something appears on Fleabay.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM
bugmenot
Banned

Default vdo remote

I have a few VDO Dayton remotes for sale, they are all compatible ( mostly you will find 2 models the older rc5000 and the newer rc5400 model) I personally prefer the older one despite of the fewer buttons. anyway I think the major problem is that you might be in the US while I am down under... anyway if you are interested find me @ gpsunderground.com , my nick is hell there