...Or at least until I am ready to sell the car
My goals are to build a decent sounding system on a budget, using some equipment I already have. I am fairly OCD when it comes to some things, so I want to keep it clean and stealthy. I also would like to be able to revert everything back to stock.
I would like to thank Bing (16psibrick on here) from Simplicity In Sound for the inspiration. I can only dream of having his install skills. Sintaxerror's build log on this forum was extremely helpful. I am definitely taking some cues from his work. Lastly, my buddy Ray for lending a hand.
Headunit: Somewhat undecided at the moment. Will get to that later.
Front Stage: Boston Pro60SE (purchased on ebay at a great price, got very lucky)
Front Stage Amp: SoundStream Rubicon 204 (already had this, came from a friends car years ago). Will be run at 2x100 RMS (bridged).
Rear Stage: None! not needed in this car.
Subs: 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" DVC wired to a final 2 ohms
Sub Amp: Xtant A6001 1x600 @ 2 ohms
Wiring: KnuKonceptz power, ground, remote, speaker, and RCA cables. Lots of heat shrink tubing and techflex.
On to the good stuff... pics.
Power cable at the battery end:
First time using tech flex... I got better at it as I went.
Heat shrunk... this will be a common theme in this build:
Other end of the cable, at the fuse block:
Techflexed... all wiring will be done this way:
Other end of the fuse block... this is how I kept the techflex in place at the end:
Ready to be installed:
Punched a hole in the huge grommet right near the battery and passed the cable through:
Next, I moved on to the doors. I wanted to pass new speaker wire through. This turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated. Before I started:
I pulled it through the speaker opening. I found that this gave me much more slack to work with.
After I used my dremel to open a path for the cable in an unused part of the plug:
Time to move on to the car side of the plug. This was as far as it could be pulled down from the dash.
This was done very very carefully:
12 ga speaker cable fits through nicely. It should be noted at this point that there is not enough room to twist the wire around in the opening. This means that when putting the plugs back together, careful planning was needed to make sure the wire was aligned, or the plugs would not fit.
Car side put back in place:
Ready to go back together:
This part was the most difficult by far. There is so little space to work, and I do not have small hands.
Not quite done yet...
Punched the wire through the grommet in the door and zip-tied in place for now. You might notice there isn't any techflex. That will come later. I did not want to make the already thick 12 ga wire impossible to feed through the plugs and the rubber boot. Ill just have to settle for a gap of bare wire through the door jam.