I have had this concept in mind for some time now. Finally got around to building it and getting it tested.
I wanted to use DNX9980 and the stock unit together to get an oem like set up but with more functionality.
This was the result
Some progress pics
I can do a more comprehensive write up if people would like to see what is involved. Its not too pricey, but involves taking a lot of parts apart and rewiring quite a bit on the stock units.
I have to finish the stock controls so they transfer to the Kenwood unit, i have most of them pinned out just waiting on some ffc cables.
Basics of system
- Kenwood DNX9980 main system
- Oem cd changer headunit uses pac module audio out to enter as AUX1 into DNX9980, stock volume **** still works.
- AM/FM antenna Y splitter to share shortie antenna signal
- steering wheel controls go to DNX9980 only
- Sirius XM, garmin navigation, reverse camera, front camera, ipod, iphone, usb, bluetooth, pandora, etc stock DNX features fully functional.
- Nissan nav main controls connected to kenwood remote chip to send signal via IR led under screen (this makes the nav controls functional).
- Rear cubby turned into an automatic flip up/down cover for CD/SD card access
Thoughts on the progress so far ? More pics to follow as I download them off cameras, iphone, etc.