Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Starting my Audio Build!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
KristoffherGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my Audio Build!

Hey guys and gals!

So I've had a 12 inch MD Sounds subwoofer for quite some time that I liked but since it's depth was 13.8 inches custom sub-boxes for the Z with that depth seemed to run my price sky-high.

So, instead of paying an arm and a leg I have been getting a fiberglass box created with the same specs as the Zenclosures custom-box.

So far my setup consist of:

(1) 12" MD Sound subwoofer (1800W)

(1) 1600W Pioneer Amp

(2) *On Backorder*
iLLusion Electra E6 CX's

(1) Memphis 400W Mini-Amp

(1) Memphis Amp Kit (8 gauge)

(1) Memphis Amp Kit (4 gauge)

This picture is toward the middle of the build of the box.
As you can see the trial and error from the carpeting on the back.

I was trying to get the subwoofer to be as flush as possible with the fiberglass yet still get it the look it needs for the excursion on the subwoofer to look sexual!

Name:  IAI3Rbt.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  62.0 KB

Now since my Amp has a manual bass **** and I don't have the controls in the center console, I will be using the center console switch cover for the hidden bass ****.

I want it to look something like this:

As for my Amp. I was thinking maybe an amp rack where my new wood carpet for the hatch would go? Maybe illuminate the words Pioneer throught the floor?
Any Ideas on where I should put the amp or what I should do with it?

Last edited by KristoffherGee; 04-03-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM
KristoffherGee

Just updating how everything is going so far.

My Subwoofer is now carpeted and my amp rack is currently being drawn out for a design I feel is necessary.

As for my Bass **** I went ahead and placed it accordingly to the image I posted earlier from the RX-7.

Here are some pictures of the process and the finished look on the bass ****!

(Don't mind my girlfriends' WF pony she gave to me )

Name:  gbj9M0X.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  17.9 KB

This is the bottom of the carpet in the trunk. I have the amp bracketed on the bottom of the carpet away from the frame.
Hopefully I will have the materials to make the board the amp is hooked on to be designed where I have a backlight "Z" the size of the amp.

Name:  bcH6gBt.jpg
Size:  22.0 KB

Here is where things got messy

My Sub's excursion is so large, I end up having this massive gap that I don't know what to do with!

Any advice on this piece will be taken because I'm at a loss on what to do.

Name:  YWW83Q3.jpg
Size:  25.1 KB

Last but certainly not least! My chapstick!.....erm...I mean my Bass ****!

Name:  KKrhikC.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  49.2 KB

I feel like this is the prime spot for my bass ****, I don't have to look down off the road if my bass feels like it is too loud or bend down or bend to the side.
I honestly advise anyone trying to place a bass **** somewhere to put it here if you have that empty piece of interior space to do so like I did.

EDIT

I know the carpeting on my cover board for the frame is terrible, that's simply because I'm not done with that portion of the build, it's just so it "looks" complete to those who do get to see it.

As for my wires being messy, that's because ,once again, I'm not finished.

I have had people ask me how my trunk space is and I actually think I have MORE space because I'm able to store things where my spare tire used to be.

Last edited by KristoffherGee; 04-03-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by KristoffherGee
Here is where things got messy

My Sub's excursion is so large, I end up having this massive gap that I don't know what to do with!

Any advice on this piece will be taken because I'm at a loss on what to do.

I was about to ask what you were going to do about excursion. My suggestion would be to build a little false floor from wood to fill the gap. Carpet it the same color and mount it an inch or so under the sub area. Nice thick carpet wrapped around the false floor piece should hide any imperfections in the cut when you saw it...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:15 PM
KristoffherGee

Originally Posted by vo7848
I was about to ask what you were going to do about excursion. My suggestion would be to build a little false floor from wood to fill the gap. Carpet it the same color and mount it an inch or so under the sub area. Nice thick carpet wrapped around the false floor piece should hide any imperfections in the cut when you saw it...

That does sound like a possibility.

I was thinking about maybe sanding it down to give it a flush area for the excursion of the sub instead of just that edge piece being a wall the sub runs into.

I know this will require me to refit the "carpet" piece I already have, but that's not an issue to me.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Well keep us updated on the progress...