Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Finally gave in..real stereo install pics coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 11:23 AM
FstQban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally gave in..real stereo install pics coming soon...

Ok ok. I finally gave in and admitted that the IB4 sounds like doodoo. Well actually it does sound very good for what it is. The problem is that what it is isnt good enough for me. I am currently having a custom fiberglass/MDF enclosure built to put a 10" W3V2 sub in the hatch area without losing any storage or my spare. Functionality is still my first priority. Sound Automotive in Mercerville, NJ is doing the work. They are hands down the best custom install shop I have ever seen in my life.
Originally I wanted the sub to be inbetween the strut tower and the wall on the cabin side of it. I was envisioning a pie wedge shaped box holding the sub at an angle firing into the hatch cover. I wanted it off center to minimize the lost storage space.
After further investigation we found that to the left of the spare is a foam insert. This holds no parts and is not necessary. So they are now building a box that molds to the rear left corner of the trunk. They only need to lift the floor about 1.5". It will be virtually invisible between the design and the location. It will be done tomorrow, I will post pics as soon as I can access a digital camera.

Joe.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:12 AM
FstQban

Sorry fo rthe delay guys. I don't have a digital camera. The shop guys got a good picture of it and are supposed to be e-mailing it to me as we speak.(guess that saying doesn't really work olnline huh? ) Hopefully I will be able to post them ewraly in the week.

And by the way it friggin pounds!!!Holy Sh#%!!!! It is the cleanest bass I have ever heard. Maybe not the best but the best I have heard. Any in the Jersey area that wants to hear to get an idea of what they want just let me kow.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Subw00er

I'd love to see it!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:30 AM
FstQban

//home.attbi.com/~anyone2u/wsb/media/122230/site1030.jpg[IMG]
Old 12-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by FstQban
home.attbi.com/~anyone2u/wsb/media/122230/site1030.jpg[IMG]
You missed part of the address: [IMG]http://home.attbi.com...

Old 12-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Miami350Z

Default Oh my god!

That is a SICK install. Can this shop create another one? I will buy right now!!! I also have a JL Audio 10W3V2 and I don't like the sound where it is (stock Bose location). Also, did you use the Metra Kit for the Alpine 7894?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2002, 12:53 PM
JCZ

I second Miami350Z's comment - looks great

How much was the enclosure?
Old 12-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following was posted by FstQban from the original thread located here. His computer is a little slow so I'm trying to help him out.

They aproximated the volume because of the shape of the enclosure. They make it a little largwet than they need then use material to fill the excess space. It is actually molded fiberglass that form fits to that corner of the car. It continues down to the absolute floor. They removed the styrofoam insert that was there and built a MDF box as the bottom half of the enclosure. Yes I suppose you could put qany JL sub there, but the enclosure would have to be bigger. I dont have the system to support a W7 so I didnt even think about it. I personally would think that one 10W6V2 would be more than enough. Everyone that hears my car cant believe it is only one 10" sub. It cost me $500 for the custom sub enclosure. A bargain when I look back at it. It took them One and a half days of straight labor to lay the fiberglass, let it set, build the box, install the sub and wiring, etc. That obviously is just for the box, not the sub or amp or cables. It was done at Sound Automotive. Hands down the best audio installer in New Jersey. If you want custom work done they are the way to go. Not the cheapest but definately the best. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Anyone2u; 12-07-2002 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:05 PM
FstQban

Although I do have to admit my puter is a dinosaur, I also have some internet issues myself!!! Thanks fo rall the help from the people who helped me to get this thing posted. I dont believe that they can make another mold without having the car. The fiberglass was layed directly against the sheet metal of the trunk. They would eb more than happy to help out any other people from this site. Call Sound Automotive in Hamilton(?), NJ. It might be Lawrenceville or even West Windsor. Talk to Rob who works the front desk. Tell him that Joe with the 350Z sent you and he will set you up with whatever you need. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

p.s. no I didn't use the dash kit. Another shop created a custom install kit to surround the unit. Looks great. It is a dark grey vinyl that surrounds the head unit perfectly. Anybody in contral Jersey with a digital camera want to take pics for me and post them?

Last edited by FstQban; 12-08-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Gish

Hey Fstqban-

I hope you are running an amp on you Boston speakers!!! All I see is the 250/1 JL on the subs. Those pros won't sound good without some power. BTW- I got the Boston Z6s for the front!

Gish
Old 12-10-2002, 10:45 AM
FstQban

no actually I am just running them off the 7894. It does put out a true 60W RMS to all four channels. While they could sound better I just don't have the money for a second amp to power the components and coaxials. I did some extensive sound testing with the shop and they helped me to get the most out of them. When I come across soem more cash I wil go back and have an amp installed for the fronts and rears, until they will have to do. They actually soundpretty good considering.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:01 PM
MSGarrett1

Red face

Originally posted by FstQban
no actually I am just running them off the 7894. It does put out a true 60W RMS to all four channels. .
Uhmm. . . .actually it LISTS as 27watts RMS and 60watts peak X 4 channels. And even those numbers are fiction. Having said that, the Alpine 7894 probably does produce about the most power of any MOSFET headunit amp out there. And now having said that, I have to agree with your friend here . . . the Bostons would sound better with an external amp. Of course you have to spend 2-3 times as much to get a headunit and an external amp as you do to just get a headunit . . . and the improvement in SQ is not quite 2-3 times greater. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:01 AM
FstQban

my thoughts exactly.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:45 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I just talked to these guys today...

Unfortuantely, I am about 4 hours away, and they needed my Z to do the custom mold for the box possibly for more than a day. They also told me it would cost $600...I think this idea is perfect for someone that needs the space in the trunk, and not willing to sacrifice the spare. Kudos to the inventor of this box !
I did some poking around today, and actually decided to gut my Z. The area where this sub is located is fairly large. There is a huge hunk of heavy duty black styrofoam where FstQban's sub enclosure pictured above is located. Since I went for the total gut out, I decided to put down about 30-40 sqft of Dynamat Extreme--I think the Z's wheel wells could use some sound dampening material. After the Dynamatting is done, I will decide what I want to do about my sub box.

I want an enclosure like this...BAD, but I am not ready to cough up $600 for it without a speaker.